• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2021 10:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4254 posts
286 upvotes
Hamilton

[Amazon.ca] AeroGarden Bounty Elite Indoor Hydroponic Herb Garden, Stainless Steel $423.65

So just after Ontario started lockdown in 2020 I began looking into vegetable growing and I started watching the AeroGarden through CCC. This is the lowest price this version of the AeroGarden has been in a long time.

Price has been as high as $600 and a few times it has dropped below $475.

New price drop. Now $423
Last edited by synaptech on May 13th, 2021 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
11 replies
Apr 8, 2011
343 posts
735 upvotes
Calgary
Good price compared to it's usual retail. I Have one of the small ones and find it's almost just a novelty item really. At this $400 price point, I think you'd be better off getting a separate, full spectrum LED. You could grow a multitude of plants and raise it as they grow. Aerogardens are kind of limiting as far as space/height.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4254 posts
286 upvotes
Hamilton
badbeerbreath wrote: Good price compared to it's usual retail. I Have one of the small ones and find it's almost just a novelty item really. At this $400 price point, I think you'd be better off getting a separate, full spectrum LED. You could grow a multitude of plants and raise it as they grow. Aerogardens are kind of limiting as far as space/height.
I don't disagree, but thought I'd share if anyone was interested.
Sep 14, 2012
960 posts
1184 upvotes
Toronto
I bought an Aerogarden a few years at Costco-broke within 2 weeks, so back in went for a refund.

This past winter I ordered 2 of these on Amazon -Idoo 12 pod indoor gardens. You get the LED light, 12 pods, extra peat plugs etc and some plant food...Does not come with seeds, those you buy on your own

The worked perfectly. LED light is on a built in timer and you can set it for fruit and vegetables. The pump runs for 30 minutes at a time and there is a fan under the LED light which helps the germination and growth Great product and at about $120 far cheaper than any Aerogarden

Here's a link to one place selling them

https://www.amazon.ca/iDOO-Hydroponics- ... 51&sr=8-32
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4254 posts
286 upvotes
Hamilton
ichibansan wrote: I bought an Aerogarden a few years at Costco-broke within 2 weeks, so back in went for a refund.

This past winter I ordered 2 of these on Amazon -Idoo 12 pod indoor gardens. You get the LED light, 12 pods, extra peat plugs etc and some plant food...Does not come with seeds, those you buy on your own

The worked perfectly. LED light is on a built in timer and you can set it for fruit and vegetables. The pump runs for 30 minutes at a time and there is a fan under the LED light which helps the germination and growth Great product and at about $120 far cheaper than any Aerogarden

That is pretty tempting lol!

On a quick check though the Aero will allow plants up to 24” tall. The Idoo is 14.9”. Depends on what you want to grow and if course the you could buy 3 Idoo for 1 of this Aero
Feb 19, 2019
116 posts
184 upvotes
ichibansan wrote: I bought an Aerogarden a few years at Costco-broke within 2 weeks, so back in went for a refund.

I grow herbs and height of 14inches would be a limitating factor I feel like.

I have an old aero garden that's 24" in height. It's amazing for herbs but the led broke :(
Sep 14, 2012
960 posts
1184 upvotes
Toronto
simplealgebra wrote: I grow herbs and height of 14inches would be a limitating factor I feel like.

I have an old aero garden that's 24" in height. It's amazing for herbs but the led broke :(
Well you can't get everything at the cheap price.

I also have bought a systema like this-there are multiple sellers on Amazon all selling variations on the theme. Basically a tank, fish pump, some pods and add ons. You buy your own seed and add your own fertilzer (Miracle Gro or you can buy the Aeroplan liquid fertilizer at Canadian Tire). String an LED Grow light over it 50 bucks or so) and you have unlimited height

https://www.amazon.ca/YaeGarden-Hydropo ... 68&sr=8-91

I found you have to paint the container black to stop algae growth.
Feb 19, 2019
116 posts
184 upvotes
ichibansan wrote: Well you can't get everything at the cheap price.

I also have bought a systema like this-there are multiple sellers on Amazon all selling variations on the theme. Basically a tank, fish pump, some pods and add ons. You buy your own seed and add your own fertilzer (Miracle Gro or you can buy the Aeroplan liquid fertilizer at Canadian Tire). String an LED Grow light over it 50 bucks or so) and you have unlimited height

https://www.amazon.ca/YaeGarden-Hydropo ... 68&sr=8-91

I found you have to paint the container black to stop algae growth.
It's not so much about wanting everything at a cheap price. I'm just wondering if 14" would be way too short to maintain a number of different herbs regularly vs. people who use these gardens just to start their seed off and transplanting later into soil. What have you been using yours for?
Sep 14, 2012
960 posts
1184 upvotes
Toronto
simplealgebra wrote: It's not so much about wanting everything at a cheap price. I'm just wondering if 14" would be way too short to maintain a number of different herbs regularly vs. people who use these gardens just to start their seed off and transplanting later into soil. What have you been using yours for?
Cherry tomatoes, leaf lettuce, cilantro, basil mostly
Feb 19, 2019
116 posts
184 upvotes
ichibansan wrote: Cherry tomatoes, leaf lettuce, cilantro, basil mostly
Were you able to get a decent haverst with them being planted fairly closely to each other or did you transplant once they germinated?
Sep 14, 2012
960 posts
1184 upvotes
Toronto
simplealgebra wrote: Were you able to get a decent haverst with them being planted fairly closely to each other or did you transplant once they germinated?
None were transplanted. For the tomatoes I do not use every pod and space them out a bit more.