• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2021 12:22 am
[OP]
Jan 28, 2021
126 posts
231 upvotes
Little Portugal

[Amazon.ca] AeroGarden Harvest for $119.99

I found this AeroGarden Harvest for sale now, the deal price is $119.99.
Good price! I bought one alreadyGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes

I
  • NCLUDES GOURMET HERB SEED KIT (6-POD) - Genovese Basil, Curly Parsley, Dill, Thyme, Thai Basil and Mint & a 3oz bottle of our patented, all natural Plant Nutrients (enough for a full season of growth)
  • PLANT TO PLATE - Up to 6 plants grow at a time, up to 12" tall with this indoor garden. Grows in water - no soil, no mess, made simple
  • EASY TO USE - control panel tells you when to add water, reminds you when to add plant food (included), automatically turns lights on and off for your hydroponics growing system
  • LED LIGHTS - High-performance, full spectrum 20-watt LED high efficiency grow lighting system in your herb garden is tuned to the specific needs of plants to maximize photosynthesis, resulting in rapid, natural growth and abundant harvests
  • IN-HOME GARDEN SYSTEM - Grow fresh herbs & veggies all year round in this indoor herb garden. Always fresh, always local, always in season
Images
  • 81DPs6WZXjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Last edited by Mars2012 on Apr 26th, 2021 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link, click on one sold by Amazon for correct price
19 replies
Mar 24, 2019
161 posts
207 upvotes
Great idea for Mother’s Day!

Anyone know if the pods are on sale anywhere?
Jul 17, 2013
51 posts
54 upvotes
Calgary
Good price for this. I just bought one about a month ago. This comes with the 6 pack of herbs. It uses all the spots on the deck, I am already beginning to harvest basil leaves. It grows like a weed in this thing.
Mar 30, 2007
443 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
The costco version when on sale for same price comes with the seed starter kit which I'm finding extremely helpful in germinating seeds indoors before transplanting them outside
Oct 15, 2008
422 posts
678 upvotes
Atikokan
Got one for this price earlier in the year. Fun project to do with the kids during the pandemic, about as idiot-proof as possible (I am the opposite of a green thumb). Now it's taken off and I'm struggling to find things to use all these fresh herbs in, especially the Thai basil lol

Watch a quick youtube video on proper pruning once you get towards the top, and these things really grow like crazy! Put it somewhere away from where you sleep, or set the timer, cause the light on this thing is beyond bright.

Will probably try and transplant them into soil when it's finally warmed up and take a stab at the tomato/jalapeno kit they have.
Mar 7, 2011
205 posts
228 upvotes
Calgary
snowles wrote: Will probably try and transplant them into soil when it's finally warmed up and take a stab at the tomato/jalapeno kit they have.
FYI transplanting them to soil is a bitch. I've only managed to save 2 of my pods (out of like 10 or 15) - a genovese basil and a Thai basil, and only by growing them in self watering orchid pots. And even so they grow much more poorly (and I have over 50 other plants).
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2786 posts
1120 upvotes
Ottawa
snowles wrote: Will probably try and transplant them into soil when it's finally warmed up and take a stab at the tomato/jalapeno kit they have.
fatpandasneezes wrote: FYI transplanting them to soil is a bitch. I've only managed to save 2 of my pods (out of like 10 or 15) - a genovese basil and a Thai basil, and only by growing them in self watering orchid pots. And even so they grow much more poorly (and I have over 50 other plants).
I don't know much about it, just started growing stuff last year too. It is probably transplant shock since these plants have never been in soil so their roots might get all messed up when you plant it in soil.

I've seen some comparisons online where one dude transplanted root bound plants and they barely even grew compared to ones that were just starting.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19270 posts
27816 upvotes
ONTARIO
eugene188 wrote: I don't know much about it, just started growing stuff last year too. It is probably transplant shock since these plants have never been in soil so their roots might get all messed up when you plant it in soil.

I've seen some comparisons online where one dude transplanted root bound plants and they barely even grew compared to ones that were just starting.
That is most likely what it is. From my personal experience, the seed starter tray for the Aerogarden is fantastic.

If you "harden" the plants off first before moving outdoors, there really shouldn't be many issues.
I've owned a couple Aerogardens now for 4 yrs and have been using the seed starting system the past 3 years to start my seedlings indoors around the end of March and then transplant them outdoors around mid-May after the last frost date (I am doing it right now with a batch of pepper seedlings!)

Aerogarden recommends you slowly acclimate the plants growing in your Aerogarden to the outdoors.
Start by taking the base of your Aerogarden and putting it outside in a shaded area for an hour or so before bringing it in. Then the next day do it again but increase the time to 2 hours.
Repeat for like a week, increasing the amount of time your plants are being exposed to the outdoors until you're basically leaving the plants outside all day. Once you've done this, you will have a much easier time transplanting them to soil.

Like I've said, I've been doing this now for a few years. I mainly like to grow peppers, but I've also started sugar baby watermelons, cucumbers, sugar peas, lettuce and cucamelons in my Aerogarden and successfully transplanted them outdoors. It feels like it usually takes a week or two for them to get used to the soil, but after that they take off just like any other plant growing outside.

Pic below is some Italian Marconi peppers I started in one of my Aerogardens and then transplanted outdoors a couple years ago. It grew such HUGE delicious peppers.
I can't wait until next month when I can transplant my current batch of pepper seedlings outdoors. I have a bunch of different varieties and am so excited to grow some delicious peppers.
Images
  • IMG_20180810_133748 (2).jpg
Oct 15, 2008
422 posts
678 upvotes
Atikokan
Interesting stuff, thanks for the insights everyone! I would have been bummed if I killed everything after finally growing something properly lol

Has anyone tried using the AeroGarden Grow Anything Seed Pod Kit with success? I love the product but not a huge fan of Thai basil or mint (and dill is the one thing I can grow easily already). Would love to try something more hearty like rosemary or oregano.

When it finally warms will try the above-mentioned acclimation method and then try transplanting my least favourite pod into one of those little plastic greenhouses, see what happens.

Funny enough my greatest gardening success came when I had a pre-bought set of half-started herbs, and I accidentally knocked it off my deck railing in the fall and didn’t bother picking it off the ground. Took hold and at least 2/3 of it grew every year since. Now a small part of my yard is oregano; only noticed when I was painting the deck and noticed the herbal smell Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19270 posts
27816 upvotes
ONTARIO
snowles wrote: Interesting stuff, thanks for the insights everyone! I would have been bummed if I killed everything after finally growing something properly lol

Has anyone tried using the AeroGarden Grow Anything Seed Pod Kit with success? I love the product but not a huge fan of Thai basil or mint (and dill is the one thing I can grow easily already). Would love to try something more hearty like rosemary or oregano.

When it finally warms will try the above-mentioned acclimation method and then try transplanting my least favourite pod into one of those little plastic greenhouses, see what happens.

Funny enough my greatest gardening success came when I had a pre-bought set of half-started herbs, and I accidentally knocked it off my deck railing in the fall and didn’t bother picking it off the ground. Took hold and at least 2/3 of it grew every year since. Now a small part of my yard is oregano; only noticed when I was painting the deck and noticed the herbal smell Face With Tears Of Joy
You should have no problem if you get one of those kits and then provide the oregano or rosemary seeds yourself.
I never use their seed kits. I always buy my own seeds. It's always cheaper plus you have MUCH more variety to choose from when you use your own seeds. There are some really unique plants out there.

For example, just this previous winter I grew a purple kohlrobi in my Aerogarden. It was from a seed packet I was given free with my last seed order and I threw it into my Aerogarden as an experiment. I had never grown one before, or even heard of it to be honest.
It turns out they grow extremely well in Aerogarden systems. It was a really fun grow. The leaves this thing produced were massive. Bigger than my head. It tasted really good too!

Definitely recommend the grow anything kits and providing your own seeds.
Images
  • IMG_20210123_214253_4 (2).jpg
  • IMG_20210123_223037_7 (2).jpg
Aug 25, 2019
630 posts
633 upvotes
Seems like $178 is the Cheapest Option right now...
"It is not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." - Anonymous
Mar 12, 2006
815 posts
188 upvotes
3/5 of my herbs have lasted over a year now.

Curious where others are sourcing their pod plastic/pod soil
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19270 posts
27816 upvotes
ONTARIO
Rifle wrote: 3/5 of my herbs have lasted over a year now.

Curious where others are sourcing their pod plastic/pod soil
You can re-use the plastic frame/plastic humidity covers from old seed pot kits. Just give them a cleaning before use.

As for replacement pod sponges, I have started using rockwool.

However I also just found that a 50-pack of the aerogarden sponges is currently on sale for $24 right now on Amazon. So that is another option.
https://www.amazon.ca/Miracle-Gro-AeroG ... den&sr=1-4
Mar 14, 2018
323 posts
341 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: You can re-use the plastic frame/plastic humidity covers from old seed pot kits. Just give them a cleaning before use.

As for replacement pod sponges, I have started using rockwool.

However I also just found that a 50-pack of the aerogarden sponges is currently on sale for $24 right now on Amazon. So that is another option.
https://www.amazon.ca/Miracle-Gro-AeroG ... den&sr=1-4
The seed starter refill pack is a better deal, with 70 sponges and a bottle of nutrients. And yes, all the sponges are of the same size.

https://www.amazon.ca/AeroGarden-Seed-S ... s=1&sr=8-8
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2538 posts
2306 upvotes
Whitby
Can you grow medicinal stuff in these things?