• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2020 10:17 am
[OP]
May 22, 2013
47 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] All Clad 7 piece stainless set $403

The 7 piece sets have hovered in the $650 range for years, recently dipping to $400.

I'm a professional chef so I refuse to buy junk. All Clad has a lifetime warranty and it's made in America so you're supporting high-paying, skilled workers.

Costco has knock-off sets for a fraction of the price but if you search Reddit you'll find many people getting warped pans after only a few uses, then they don't sit
flat on your cooktop.

A few thoughts on this set.

8qt stock pot - possibly the most useful piece for any kitchen. Boiling pasta, deep frying, searing meat for stew, chili, and of course making stock. Other brands have taller/narrower 8qt pots, which
are really awkward to use and give less surface area for searing. If you try to find this pot by itself it's typically $280 "on sale". So to get it in this set for $400 is a great deal.

3 qt saute pan with lid - really useful for braising meat; sear on the stove then finish in the oven with lid. Also great for shallow frying meatballs and such.

3 qt sauce pot - a good size for doing rice for 4-8 people, boiling potatoes, or making a sauce. 2 qt is too small for a lot of jobs, 4qt can get a bit large/unwieldy.

10" skillet - this is the only piece that's not ideal. The 12" skillet is much more useful for searing a lot of meat or cooking a bunch of chicken cutlets, french toast, etc. I have a 10 and 12" and just use the 10" when I need less space. It's not useless
by any means but the 12" would be more useful.

Regarding the D5 (5 ply line). I actually prefer the D3 line. I've used the D5 pieces and I find they are slower to react and tend to over-saturate with heat. The D3 line heats quickly, but holds/releases heat just fine for getting an outstanding sear on steak. The D3 work fine on induction, which is supposedly why they made the D5 line. The D5 pieces are fine, but they generally cost more and are heavier/less responsive for no particular benefit.

If you try to buy these pieces separately, the 8qt is generally $280, though I was extremely lucky to find it at Home Sense for $180. I only saw that piece once in over 2 years of checking. The 3qt saute is generally $150 online and occasionally at Home Sense. The 3qt sauce pot is also $150 online or at Home Sense. The 10" skillet generally goes for $80-100, I found one on clearance at HS for $60 but that was unusual. So at best you could build this set for $510 but it takes a long time to find a deal on every piece, and most of the time HS/Winners don't even have any All Clad or they have less desirable pieces.

Anyway, this is a great entry to building a good set of cookware without a bunch of "fluff" pieces. The price is great for quality pieces that will basically last you forever.
27 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
3470 posts
3016 upvotes
Toronto
JmanGTA wrote: The D5 pieces are fine, but they generally cost more and are heavier/less responsive for no particular benefit.
truth. what do you think about the MC2, the copper core or C4 line?
Dec 20, 2018
254 posts
415 upvotes
I was really interested in this brand given the hype around it.

Two complaints that I've read: handles are uncomfortable and customer service is lacking.
Nov 24, 2014
66 posts
57 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Upvoted. Thanks OP.
Didn’t bite cause I have a 3-ply Zwilling set already (and can’t justify getting rid of it cause it’s amazing), but that initial post was super informative and almost made me want to.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4401 posts
5942 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
dracolnyte wrote: truth. what do you think about the MC2, the copper core or C4 line?
MC2 is better because of the thick aluminium layer but can't go in the dishwasher and isn't induction compatible.
anthony9 wrote: I was really interested in this brand given the hype around it.

Two complaints that I've read: handles are uncomfortable and customer service is lacking.
Yeah, they wanted me to pay postage for warranty service. But I told them the American company was giving prepaid postage.
Oct 4, 2012
64 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you so much Jman! Last night I was debating between the 7 peice and 10 piece from The Bay, they had a sale that ended today. I was about to buy them from Williams Food Equipment but I just saved $$$. Thank God I checked RFD!!!
Feb 7, 2010
51 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
Upvoted for informative post. I'm tempted to buy and I don't know much about which pans/pots are good. I'm planning to move soon so I need to buy everything essential.

Edited: Not for the 5 piece set. My bad. I just clicked on the first Deal Link.
Last edited by kngai86 on May 18th, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3582 posts
3579 upvotes
Alberta
In stock now, but price is $489
Apr 2, 2010
94 posts
106 upvotes
Edmonton
kngai86 wrote: Upvoted for informative post. I'm tempted to buy and I don't know much about which pans/pots are good. I'm planning to move soon so I need to buy everything essential.

Currently back at $489.57.
Lush78 wrote: In stock now, but price is $489
WARNING: $489 is for the 5-piece set and NOT the 7-piece set that OP linked to. The 7-piece set is gone from the site. Please be careful!
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1959 posts
1284 upvotes
Ottawa
kngai86 wrote: Upvoted for informative post. I'm tempted to buy and I don't know much about which pans/pots are good. I'm planning to move soon so I need to buy everything essential.

Currently back at $489.57.
That's the 5 pieces, not 7
Feb 24, 2007
147 posts
69 upvotes
Thornhill
I've been looking at cookware the past few days and this set is continuously going in and out of stock on Amazon. For anyone who wants it's worth checking back every now and then.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1959 posts
1284 upvotes
Ottawa
Lush78 wrote: Ah. My mistake. I thought I was missing something.
Was confused as well as to why OP was saying 7 pieces where the link showed only 5
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3582 posts
3579 upvotes
Alberta
justrajdeep wrote: I can only see 5 pieces and for $489.57
Lol. I thought we just figured that out.
Jul 30, 2010
600 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto
Is Aluminum frowned upon? Many docs say it's liked to Dementia. Would you avoid this? Please enlighten.
[OP]
May 22, 2013
47 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
justrajdeep wrote: I can only see 5 pieces and for $489.57
It seems to keep disappearing and then it comes back. I didn't post this initially because I thought it might be a one-off price error but it keeps reappearing, maybe as they get more stock?