Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] All-new Fire HD 8 tablet, 8" HD display, 32 GB, designed for portable entertainment, Black $84.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2021 2:41 pm
[OP]
Dec 18, 2019
108 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] All-new Fire HD 8 tablet, 8" HD display, 32 GB, designed for portable entertainment, Black $84.99

32gb in all 3 colors available at $84.99 as Amazon's deal of the day
Last edited by alphabravocharlie on Jan 24th, 2021 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
99 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
1183 posts
991 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
Are there tablets that are not "designed for portable entertainment"?

(Amazon's wording, not the OP's!)
Oct 2, 2011
481 posts
326 upvotes
London
Great product.

(seconding @stephroll on the Fire Toolbox)

I hope we see the HD Plus sometime - having wireless charging would be great to just dock it at the bedside.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9148 posts
3400 upvotes
My oldest has this tablet. It works well after installing the play store. I am interested if this Fire Toolbox is worth playing with though. Since I have already installed Google Play ( via the 4x apk method ) what more value can I get from the toolbox?
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
12574 posts
21303 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: My oldest has this tablet. It works well after installing the play store. I am interested if this Fire Toolbox is worth playing with though. Since I have already installed Google Play ( via the 4x apk method ) what more value can I get from the toolbox?
It removes everything Amazon on it , you can choose from a few launchers . You do need a PC to use the Toolbox but it’s a very easy automated process .
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
2489 posts
1635 upvotes
Montreal
This is not the best price. You can usually get it for 79.99$ during a sale.
Aug 24, 2007
351 posts
76 upvotes
GTA
FYI, great tablet, just a nuance for me that I can't seem to download Netflix from the playstore, therefore had to use Amazon's version of Netflix, which you cant cast onto Chromecast (if anyone got Netflix chromecast working or screen mirroring in general, greatly appreciated).

All other apps seem to work fine casting onto TV with chromecast (YouTube, NBA) just NetFlix.

Also, it seems they've disabled screen-mirroring and there is no HDMI out port.
Last edited by sYc1234 on Jan 22nd, 2021 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15637 posts
16780 upvotes
Oakville
sYc1234 wrote: FYI, great tablet, just a nuance for me that I can't seem to download Netflix from the playstore, and therefore have issues casting the Amazon's version of Netflix onto Chromecast (if anyone knows how to fix this, greatly appreciated).

All other apps seem to work fine casting onto TV with chromecast (YouTube, NBA) just NetFlix.

Also, it seems they've disabled screen-mirroring and there is no HDMI out port.
Can you side load the APK manually?
Aug 24, 2007
351 posts
76 upvotes
GTA
engineered wrote: Can you side load the APK manually?
Unfortunately, I tried few versions off the net but they wouldn't run, so I was stuck with Amazon's version of Netflix
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3424 posts
852 upvotes
not a great tablet since you will be stuck with Amazon only apps
No youtube either....
Nov 24, 2014
61 posts
46 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
sYc1234 wrote: Unfortunately, I tried few versions off the net but they wouldn't run, so I was stuck with Amazon's version of Netflix
I'm looking to get this just for Netflix while I do some cardio - is Amazon's version of Netflix lacking functions? ex. download and watch offline?
Aug 24, 2007
351 posts
76 upvotes
GTA
romsan04 wrote: not a great tablet since you will be stuck with Amazon only apps
No youtube either....
Not 100% true, you can sideload playstore and download most of the apps on there, which is what I did.
Also, not a hard process to get playstore up and running.
For me, it was Netflix only.
Aug 24, 2007
351 posts
76 upvotes
GTA
awongz08 wrote: I'm looking to get this just for Netflix while I do some cardio - is Amazon's version of Netflix lacking functions? ex. download and watch offline?
As far as I know, it is only lacking the Chromecast feature, eg. I can still download and watch offline, bookmark movies, etc.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3424 posts
852 upvotes
sYc1234 wrote: Not 100% true, you can sideload playstore and download most of the apps on there, which is what I did.
Also, not a hard process to get playstore up and running.
For me, it was Netflix only.
This is from the Q&A for this tablet
Got it on sale; plugged it in and whammo! It connected to my Amazon Prime account and zoom! everything was connected and ready to go. Fabulous feature!
It can't play YouTube videos for some weird reason, (because I'm in Canada???) but a friend said they could fix that for me.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4329 posts
4381 upvotes
Vancouver
stephroll wrote: It removes everything Amazon on it , you can choose from a few launchers . You do need a PC to use the Toolbox but it’s a very easy automated process .
Just to clarify though, you can't actually remove the Amazon bloatware with Fire Toolbox unless you root the tablet. Without rooting, you can only disable and hide the bloatware, so you gain a bit of performance, but you don't get back any memory.

Rooting isn't always easy - the capability comes and goes with each release of FireOS and Fire Toolbox - and you're probably aware it has other implications for the use of your tablet with DRM-restricted apps that check for rooting.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4329 posts
4381 upvotes
Vancouver
awongz08 wrote: I'm looking to get this just for Netflix while I do some cardio - is Amazon's version of Netflix lacking functions? ex. download and watch offline?
Amazon's version of Netflix is identical, but no version of Netflix on FireOS supports Google Cast (Chromecast) because Amazon deliberately cripples it.

When I first got my FIre HD 8 I tried installing Netflix from the Google Play Store, and sideloaded from an apk from pure Android to see if it made any difference. It does not, as others have also verified.
Sep 13, 2007
422 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
i have an LG one and its still going strong. When it does die Ill get one of these.
Dec 9, 2001
355 posts
122 upvotes
Scarborough
sYc1234 wrote: As far as I know, it is only lacking the Chromecast feature, eg. I can still download and watch offline, bookmark movies, etc.
That's weird. On my Fire 10 Tablet, Chromecast works fine on Netflix (and everything else)
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4329 posts
4381 upvotes
Vancouver
Two major features of the Fire tablets are disabled if you register to an amazon.ca account instead of an amazon.com account:

1. Hand-free Alexa
2. Show Mode (like Echo Show unit with a screen)

There is no known reason for these restrictions. Amazon usually gets around to removing restrictions to Canada a couple of years after features are introduced in the U.S., but there's no announced schedule.