Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

All-new Kindle Paperwhite $109.99 (21% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2019 2:37 am
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2018 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
@spiralspirit

I understand that Amazon wants you to buy from them. Libraries in the US support the Kindle, though not as nicely as is available for the Kobo. My Clara HD is very nice that way and is why I bought it. I just find it odd that libraries still rely on Overdrive. Are there no alternatives?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2018 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
trellaine201 wrote: Has Clara ever been priced at $109? And I guess amazon doesn’t sell Kobo? LOL

I have a $15 credit which helps any purchase.
I paid $109 for the Clara HD from Stapes a month or so ago. That may have included a $10 coupon. But it was on sale. Nice eReader.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2900 posts
1583 upvotes
pmcd wrote: @spiralspirit
Are there no alternatives?
There are alternatives, the question is, are there alternatives worth using for most libraries?

Basically nothing near the catalog or feature set available through overdrive. They make it easy.

The trade offs beyond the ereader issue are actually more important - huge amounts of libraries have basically ceded control of their digital catalog to overdrive and if that service becomes more expensive or ends service (like overdrive did to fictionwise without cause), it would be a serious disruption in service.

No matter what, though, nothing about libraries excites amazon because amazon would rather you buy the book from them.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
pmcd wrote: @Exp315

Is Adobe’s DRM used by Apple, which uses ePub? I just don’t understand the link. I can understand using ePub but the real issue is which copy protection is to be used.

I am not blaming Overdrive. I don’t see why I should be supporting Overdrive which is owned by the same company that owns Kobo. Overdrive supports the Kindle in the US. Why don’t they in Canada? In any case libraries should not be picking hardware. It’s not an ePub issue, otherwise they would support iPads, Google Books, etc... You cannot read a library book on an Apple device without using Overdrive.
Apple supports both epub and their own proprietary iBooks format.

Overdrive and most public libraries support the epub standard and Adobe DRM, which allows them to loan ebooks for specified time period. They don't support Amazon azw or Apple's iBook format because it's proprietary to one company, not an open standard.

I'm not going to pay my tax dollars for the public library to buy ebooks in the proprietary format of one manufacturer that excludes other ebook readers, including mine.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4664 posts
1242 upvotes
Toronto
pmcd wrote: @JHW

Journals are published digitally in increasing numbers. They have illustrations. That may be a limitation for eInk type reader, but not for digital devices.
I routinely use journals in my professional work. I read the articles on my computer screen or on a "convertible" tablet with 12" screen. E-readers are worse than useless for reading journal articles. Phones are a non-starter.
Libraries are not free. They use taxes from residents. If you are talking about giving access to digital content for people who can’t afford it then that can be handled via many ways. What you seem to be saying is the government should be deciding what people get to read (via libraries).
That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm merely pointing out the flaw in your comparison libraries to newspapers. Newspapers are going under because people read news online for free rather than paying incrementally for it. Libraries are funded through taxes that you pay whether you like it or not, and there is no incremental cost to their use.

I'll ask again -- who or what do you expect will undercut the libraries based on cost to the end-user?
I am not saying libraries should be closed. I do feel they have no future. Even university libraries have a questionable future.
We will agree to disagree. I think especially that university libraries have a long future ahead of them. Not everything is available electronically.
I remember walking down the corridor of a UofT building and seeing all these paper journals outside a professor’s office. These were major journal so I asked them why they were giving the journals away. They told me the journals were available electronically and it was far more convenient to go that route ( searches, etc...). These were not just text based journals.
I can guarantee you they are not using Kindle / Amazon DRM to read those papers.
Perhaps there may be specialty areas where paper books still make sense. I am not sure, but my guess is it’s all over for libraries and librarians. It’s sad, but so was the demise of newspapers.
"The demise of newspapers"? They have shrunk and consolidated, but they are still going strong, and still have an important purpose.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7781 upvotes
Vancouver
Badbrad wrote: Lots of talk about skimming DRM off ebook formats and using them on the Kindle. I’m pretty sure Kindle TOS outlines you can’t be storing copyrighted content on your Kindle that is DRM ripped from another source. I’ve never heard of people getting a Kindle bricked or wipes but if your using the Amazon services to forward content to your Kindle or storing copyright material on it you should check the TOS.
You are aware that you don't have to synchronize, or even keep connected, your Kindle to Amazon. right??
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2009
1058 posts
281 upvotes
Hamilton
max011 wrote: You are aware that you don't have to synchronize, or even keep connected, your Kindle to Amazon. right??
I'm coming from Kobo for the last 8 years or so and didn't know this.

How do I do this?
Oct 13, 2016
730 posts
965 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
max011 wrote: You are aware that you don't have to synchronize, or even keep connected, your Kindle to Amazon. right??
So you’re suggesting to keep it in airplane mode for its life?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7781 upvotes
Vancouver
Sepharite wrote: Thanks! Just ordered one and it comes in tonight. Any one have any books they commend?
Download free ebooks for Kindle from these 12 sites

Or, just Google "free Kindle ebooks"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7781 upvotes
Vancouver
peji911 wrote: I'm coming from Kobo for the last 8 years or so and didn't know this.
How do I do this?
What was pissing me off the most w/Kobo was their "Home screen" with all the stupid suggestions of what to buy or read next and other junk. Is this still the case? I was almost happy my GLO HD was horrible device and I was forced to get read of it... Love that I don't have to deal with it at all on Kindle. BIG plus!
Badbrad wrote: So you’re suggesting to keep it in airplane mode for its life?
I'm not really into buying Kindle books. So I don't see why should I keep my Kindle connected to Amazon at all. And don't really care about "synchronization across all devices" and such... So, the free [and a few paid] Kindle books I have in the Amazon library I just download to my Kindle directly when I set it up. And that's it. You don't even have to have any Kindle books at all.

Yes, you can keep it in the Airplane mode [I do, most of the time; it at least triples battery life. Which is irrelevant because it lasts for ever anyway.]

Also, if you go to Settings on your Kindle, very first option is fiddling with your account, and there is an option to De-register from Kindle. If you ever registered. EDIT: No, it is NOT going to remove your Amazon books from the Kindle device!

I prefer having my own library, on my own comp/cloud managed by Calibre and also Mobi should work on the Kindle as well. Never had an issue. And I have enough eBooks to last me 3 long lifetimes...

And - before you ask - NO, I don't do Warez too much... Maybe dozen books all in all... Just coldn't get it any other way. And I delete them after reading, honest!! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Last edited by max011 on Feb 12th, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
pmcd wrote: Overdrive supports the Kindle in the US. Why don’t they in Canada?
I believe it's not up to Overdrive but up to Amazon. Amazon uses a proprietary format, Overdrive uses standard. Overdrive has a system for libraries, Amazon doesn't. I read a lot of reviews for Kindle and Kobo lately. It looks like Overdrive is used by libraries all over the world, including the U.S. And only in the U.S. Kindle is supported. I think don't blame Overdrive, blame Amazon.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
max011 wrote: What was pissing me off the most w/Kobo was their "Home screen" with all the stupid suggestions of what to buy or read next and other junk. Is this still the case?
Once Kobo was bought by Rakuten, the firmware updates started getting really bad, and after inadvertently updating twice, I switched off Wifi and vowed never to upgrade (downgrade) again.

At one point the Kobo homepage was perfect and then those devils from Rakuten started up with their "Buy, Buy, Buy!", We think you'd like this.", and "Have you looked at that?" push suggestions and literally cooked the golden goose. It was a sad day when the proudly Canadian Kobo was purchased by a heartless Japanese consortium.
Last edited by JackWhyte on Feb 14th, 2019 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 13, 2016
730 posts
965 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
max011 wrote: What was pissing me off the most w/Kobo was their "Home screen" with all the stupid suggestions of what to buy or read next and other junk. Is this still the case? I was almost happy my GLO HD was horrible device and I was forced to get read of it... Love that I don't have to deal with it at all on Kindle. BIG plus!
I'm not really into buying Kindle books. So I don't see why should I keep my Kindle connected to Amazon at all. And don't really care about "synchronization across all devices" and such... So, the free [and a few paid] Kindle books I have in the Amazon library I just download to my Kindle directly when I set it up. And that's it. You don't even have to have any Kindle books at all.

Yes, you can keep it in the Airplane mode [I do, most of the time; it at least triples battery life anyway. Which is irrelevant because it lasts for ever anyway.]

Also, if you go to Settings on your Kindle, very first option is fiddling with your account, and there is an option to De-register from Kindle. If you ever registered. EDIT: No, it is NOT going to remove your Amazon books from the Kindle device!

I prefer having my own library, on my own comp/cloud managed by Calibre and also Mobi should work on the Kindle as well. Never had an issue. And I have enough eBooks to last me 3 long lifetimes...

And - before you aske - NO, I don't do Warez too much... Maybe dozen books all in all... Just coldn't get it any other way. And I delete them after reading, honest!! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Cool if you make it work for you
May 30, 2017
800 posts
540 upvotes
There's a very special site called myanonamouse for ebooks. I don't have an account
Oct 13, 2016
730 posts
965 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
pmcd wrote: @JHW

Journals are published digitally in increasing numbers. They have illustrations. That may be a limitation for eInk type reader, but not for digital devices. Plenty of books can be found on iTunes which contain illustrations.

Libraries are not free. They use taxes from residents. If you are talking about giving access to digital content for people who can’t afford it then that can be handled via many ways. What you seem to be saying is the government should be deciding what people get to read (via libraries).

I am not saying libraries should be closed. I do feel they have no future. Even university libraries have a questionable future.

I remember walking down the corridor of a UofT building and seeing all these paper journals outside a professor’s office. These were major journal so I asked them why they were giving the journals away. They told me the journals were available electronically and it was far more convenient to go that route ( searches, etc...). These were not just text based journals.

Perhaps there may be specialty areas where paper books still make sense. I am not sure, but my guess is it’s all over for libraries and librarians. It’s sad, but so was the demise of newspapers.
Journals are a mess anyways. Costs tens of thousands of dollars to publish in many of the top journals. There is a movement to open publishing up to open access but the sheer volume of articles behind a pay wall paid to be there (in many instances with public funds) is pretty surprising.
And it really really sucks to try to read technical articles on a Kindle or phone!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7781 upvotes
Vancouver
For the KOBO lovers here Please take a look at this thread I just posted.

It's from London Drugs flyer [West coast thingy!] and about KOBO Aura E2 for $89.99...

EDIT:

Please note: Original post was edited to reflect possibility that KOBO gift cards cannot be stacked and used for purchasing the device that way...
Last edited by max011 on Feb 13th, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
That’s the cheaper one not the waterproof one? Now that would be a deal :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7781 upvotes
Vancouver
arcty5 wrote: There's a very special site called myanonamouse for ebooks. I don't have an account
That's for snatching torrents... Not sure if majority of good folks here prefers to take such a dark path...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7781 upvotes
Vancouver
Badbrad wrote: Cool if you make it work for you
Yes, it does, thanks! Here's why:

I had an issue with hardware quality of Kobos.

Also didn't like Kindle's "Apple like" close propitiatory format option.

Was using "ebooks" since the dawn of Palm Pilots [remember these, anyone??] reading on the screen one quarter of the size of the small smartphone...

So wanted to have a system in place that will not be hardware and publisher dependent. And I became big fan [and donor] of Calibre.

Now I can upload any of my eBooks to my smartphone, tablet [for comics and books with colour], laptop or [at the present time] my Kindle eReader. Or any hardware that I'd have tomorrow. So all that's important to me now is price, quality and features - I don't really care about anything else...

eBooks Nirvana! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Aug 3, 2004
61 posts
16 upvotes
SomeOtherDude wrote: Educated people.
Well said

Overdrive is the best kept secret at the Toronto Public Library.

Imagine no late fees !

Support your library free space for all members of the neighbourhood to learn are special.

Once you use it you will find a non supported reader a waste !

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)