Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] All-new Kindle Paperwhite $109.99 (21% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2019 2:37 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7964 posts
1643 upvotes
Toronto
Nexzen wrote: who has a public library card anymore...
LOL, lots do.

Have you been to the TPL Digital Hubs? 3D printing, full audio/video studio, computer labs, etc. It's a great resource.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4548 posts
6210 upvotes
Vancouver
r1lee wrote: I still think the kobo is a better deal. You can load overdrive and use your public library card to borrow/download books for free.
Unfortunately you can’t do that with kindle, unless you’re in the US
For Kindle, there are workarounds for sure..

For Kobo.... Anything contemporary or even slightly popular, yes, you can directly borrow [for a week or two] on your device... after waiting for months on Hold... Libraries have maybe 1 or 2 copies to give out - same as with the classic paper books.

In both cases, you are better off by searching for free eBooks.
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Nov 10, 2011
582 posts
497 upvotes
St. Catharines
max011 wrote: Any eBook, regardless of it's format, could be converted to work on any eReader... Google it...
I haven't tried in quite a while but the last time that I did, most 'paid for' books would not convert. Perhaps I didn't try hard enough, but I can't see most ebook buyers wanting to go to a lot of trouble to convert formats.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some days I think that I am the only person who knows how to use Google.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18368 posts
26210 upvotes
ONTARIO
cpfan wrote: I haven't tried in quite a while but the last time that I did, most 'paid for' books would not convert. Perhaps I didn't try hard enough, but I can't see most ebook buyers wanting to go to a lot of trouble to convert formats.
99% of paid books won't convert properly because they include copyright protection (DRM). You would first need to use a DRM remover plugin (which exists for Calibre) if you want to convert those paid books to other formats.
However if you're willing to go through doing that, you're probably better off just finding a copy online that already has had the DRM removed.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11746 posts
1770 upvotes
Vancouver
Okay I think I should bite! Chatted with amazon re. An issue. She gave me $10 promo plus I had a $5 promo on my account.

No brainer now. $109-$15 plus taxes.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4548 posts
6210 upvotes
Vancouver
cpfan wrote: I haven't tried in quite a while but the last time that I did, most 'paid for' books would not convert. Perhaps I didn't try hard enough, but I can't see most ebook buyers wanting to go to a lot of trouble to convert formats.
I believe we were talking about FREE books?
cpfan wrote: Once you buy an ereader, you need to find something to read on it. In my experience, many more ebooks are FREE for Kindle than for Kobo.
Otherwise @BobSagget gave you a right answer...
Jan 13, 2017
456 posts
525 upvotes
Toronto
You can convert pretty much any book format to work with Kindle with Calibre. I've done that multiple times on my Kindle, and yes you can Google pretty much any book for pirated version.
Jul 25, 2018
81 posts
178 upvotes
max011 wrote: For Kindle, there are workarounds for sure..

For Kobo.... Anything contemporary or even slightly popular, yes, you can directly borrow [for a week or two] on your device... after waiting for months on Hold... Libraries have maybe 1 or 2 copies to give out - same as with the classic paper books.

In both cases, you are better off by searching for free eBooks.
Are you talking about getting free ebooks the warez way?
Apr 10, 2003
161 posts
37 upvotes
Ottawa
really enjoying kobo aura with overdrive
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4548 posts
6210 upvotes
Vancouver
NickK41633 wrote: Are you talking about getting free ebooks the warez way?
Nope. Library books that you can get without much of a waiting are mostly in the free domain.

Then Kobo as well as Amazon have a loads of classic and contemporary books for free. Or huge sales where you can get it for a few bucks.. Bookbub will let you know about many deals daily, for free...

If I go warez way, it is ONLY because I cannot justify paying more for an electronic copy of the book than what I would pay for even hardcover paper book... HOW they can justify charging $20 or $30 for eBooks???
Last edited by max011 on Feb 9th, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
1166 posts
651 upvotes
SW ON
vicktnguyen wrote: You can convert pretty much any book format to work with Kindle with Calibre. I've done that multiple times on my Kindle, and yes you can Google pretty much any book for pirated version.
Does this work for ebooks from Canadian public libraries? Many people complain they can't read borrowed ebooks on Kindle. Are ebooks from libraries DRM protected?
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18368 posts
26210 upvotes
ONTARIO
alpovs wrote: Does this work for ebooks from Canadian public libraries? Many people complain they can't read borrowed ebooks on Kindle. Are ebooks from libraries DRM protected?
Yes it would work with those books and yes ebooks from libraries are copyright protected. Most likely with Adobe's ADEPT DRM (Adobe Digital Experience Protection Technology)
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
1166 posts
651 upvotes
SW ON
BobSagget wrote: Yes it would work with those books and yes ebooks from libraries are copyright protected. Most likely with Adobe's ADEPT DRM (Adobe Digital Experience Protection Technology)
But earlier you said that DRM'd ebooks wouldn't convert? I was asking about the statement "You can convert pretty much any book format to work with Kindle with Calibre". Or you meant it would work with the special plugin? Or this type of DRM doesn't mind conversion? The ebook ecosystem is new to me. I am a bit surprised that stores that sell ebooks don't even mention the format they are offering. And I am not finding the ebooks I am interested in in the public domain or even warez-style. I will have to buy them and this format difference/conversion is a bit worrisome.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18368 posts
26210 upvotes
ONTARIO
alpovs wrote: But earlier you said that DRM'd ebooks wouldn't convert? I was asking about the statement "You can convert pretty much any book format to work with Kindle with Calibre". Or you meant it would work with the special plugin? Or this type of DRM doesn't mind conversion? The ebook ecosystem is new to me. I am a bit surprised that stores that sell ebooks don't even mention the format they are offering. And I am not finding the ebooks I am interested in in the public domain or even warez-style. I will have to buy them and this format difference/conversion is a bit worrisome.
Well by default, no, books with DRM (99% of all purchased books or borrowed through a library) will never convert on their own because they have copyright protection built into them for this exact reason.
HOWEVER, there are smart people out there who have developed software that strips the DRM elements from these books. These can be added to the ebook manager Calibre as 'plugins'. So once set up, you can easily take books you've purchased or borrowed from the library, drop them into Calibre and have the plugins automatically remove the DRM from the book.
After DRM is removed, you can freely convert the book to any format you want.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2466 posts
852 upvotes
Ottawa
Nexzen wrote: who has a public library card anymore...
I guess you didn't know that a library carrys more than hard copy books these days.

Ottawa Public library also does
- ebooks
- audiobooks
- streaming videos (!!!)
- emagazines
- streaming music
- newspapers/magazines
- access to journal articles (for REAL research)
- Games (PS4, XBOX, Wii)
- musical instruments

And now you know!