Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

All-new Kindle Paperwhite $109.99 (21% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2019 2:37 am
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
max011 wrote: For Kindle, there are workarounds for sure..

For Kobo.... Anything contemporary or even slightly popular, yes, you can directly borrow [for a week or two] on your device... after waiting for months on Hold... Libraries have maybe 1 or 2 copies to give out - same as with the classic paper books.

In both cases, you are better off by searching for free eBooks.
The get a firehd or any tablet and load hoopla, no limit on digital borrowing.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
funky_monkey wrote: Is Kindle better than the iPad for reading books? Is it necessary to get a e-reader if you've already bought an iPad?

Yes the eink does not give you the eye strain over long periods. Battery lasts forever.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
4440 posts
7634 upvotes
Toronto
funky_monkey wrote: Is Kindle better than the iPad for reading books? Is it necessary to get a e-reader if you've already bought an iPad?
I got the last generation paper white while owning an iPad and it is better for reading, easier on the eyes but within a few weeks I just kept going back to the iPad, way more useful overall while helping me carry my textbooks as ebooks on it and do other stuff on it.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
3784 posts
2780 upvotes
Airdrie
Better screen (for B&W) - easier on the eyes. Can read in direct sunlight. Battery life. Lighter and easier to hold.
Necessary? That's up to you. E-readers are single-purpose devices, but they're very good at what they do. I read graphic novels on my tablet, but I'd never use it for a regular book.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Jan 1, 2011
653 posts
189 upvotes
Kitchener
For those not living in Toronto... If you work there, you also qualify for a free library card.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
2591 posts
638 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
bmedicky wrote: For those not living in Toronto... If you work there, you also qualify for a free library card.
Really?! That is good news!!! How can I apply it then? Thanks.

Edit: got TPL card this afternoon.
Last edited by ma678 on Feb 10th, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
Nexzen wrote: Educated ppl are buying Kindles to read on the way to their job, not going to the library to read.
With the library membership educated people borrow books to their ebook readers without going to the library.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12575 upvotes
Markham
alpovs wrote: With the library membership educated people borrow books to their ebook readers without going to the library.
Just curious, do you still have to wait ebooks in the queue nowadays in TPL? That’s what happened when I lived in TO.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4664 posts
1242 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: Just curious, do you still have to wait ebooks in the queue nowadays in TPL? That’s what happened when I lived in TO.
Yes, you do. The publishers charge enormous mark-ups for libraries and so there is a limit to how many "copies" they can buy without breaking the bank. The problem is not unique to the TPL.

https://econtentforlibraries.org/

The problem is even more acute with eAudiobooks, as Audible (which is owned by Amazon) negotiates exclusivity deals with publishers.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4664 posts
1242 upvotes
Toronto
max011 wrote: As for the "blue light" - whether you choose to believe in this or not - even many ordinary cellphones and tablets have hardware options to reduce it and also there are many apps that do the same thing, EVERY color eReader has this option. B/W eReaders don't need it.
B&W e-readers absolutely do need it, because of the "backlight" (feature that lets you read in the dark or in very dim ambient light).

I have a Kobo Aura HD (older model from around 2015-2016). It has a great "backlight", but it's blue, and a bit hard on the eyes. My wife has the Clara HD (from 2018), which has the orange "backlight", which is much nicer.

The newer Kobos, and some of the not-too-much-older ones, have firmware updates with Overdrive integration -- you can browse your library's eBooks, select, and download right on the Kobo without messing with Adobe Digital Editions or the Library's website. The older Kobos (unfortunately including mine) do not have this feature.

All Kobos going back at least to 2014 models (probably older) have Pocket integration, which is incredibly useful. AFAIK Kindle only has this with very kludgy work-arounds.

Kindle has some great e-readers but the only strong case for using them is if you need some particular feature that only Kindle has, or if you buy a lot of e-books from Amazon. For most Canadian users (where public libraries use Overdrive) Kobo is the better bet.
Oct 13, 2016
730 posts
965 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
smartie wrote: Just curious, do you still have to wait ebooks in the queue nowadays in TPL? That’s what happened when I lived in TO.
YES! TPL and other public libraries are buying licenses but the demand is high and the number of licenses for popular items doesn’t meet demand. Costs for the licenses are high but there is a behavioral component as well. If users read through their items and returned items when they’re done, the library limited number of renewals or you could defer a hold by one or two places in line because they were into something else that would be really practical.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
14883 posts
4842 upvotes
Nanaimo, BC
Nexzen wrote: who has a public library card anymore...
Literate people?

People who like to benefit from the tremendous value of a hallmark of civilization, public libraries that reduce the information differential in totalitarian and autocratic societies?

People who like to stream world-class mysteries, dramas, comedies, and documentaries, including classic series like Poldark, Murdoch Mysteries, Foyle’s War, Midsomer Murders, Poirot, and Vera using Acorn TV?

People who want access to a collection of thousands of audiobooks, movies, and television shows, available to borrow for instant (and simultaneous use) streaming or temporary downloading to smartphones, tablets and computers on Hoopla?

People who want to use IndiFlix, a streaming movie service providing unlimited access to award-winning shorts, feature films, and documentaries from major festivals such as Sundance, Tribeca, Cannes. Thousands of films to choose from across more than 50 countries?

People who want to use Kanopy, a video streaming platform for libraries with one of the largest and most unique collections in the world. It features more than 26,000 movies, documentaries, and indie and foreign films from hundreds of producers, including The Criterion Collection, The Great Courses, Kino Lorber, PBS and thousands of independent filmmakers?

People who prefer to read books, read magazines, or borrow DVDs without charge?

Public libraries provide phenomenal taxpayer benefit. I suggest the benefit of public libraries is unequalled.
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
14883 posts
4842 upvotes
Nanaimo, BC
I use my iPad exclusively for reading color material such as comics like Calvin and Hobbs.

I use my Kindle exclusively when I am reading outdoors where the screen glare of the iPad is distracting.

When I am indoors reading black and white material I use either my iPad or my Kindle.
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
4440 posts
7634 upvotes
Toronto
MexiCanuck wrote: Literate people?

People who like to benefit from the tremendous value of a hallmark of civilization, public libraries that reduce the information differential in totalitarian and autocratic societies?

People who like to stream world-class mysteries, dramas, comedies, and documentaries, including classic series like Poldark, Murdoch Mysteries, Foyle’s War, Midsomer Murders, Poirot, and Vera using Acorn TV?

People who want access to a collection of thousands of audiobooks, movies, and television shows, available to borrow for instant (and simultaneous use) streaming or temporary downloading to smartphones, tablets and computers on Hoopla?

People who want to use IndiFlix, a streaming movie service providing unlimited access to award-winning shorts, feature films, and documentaries from major festivals such as Sundance, Tribeca, Cannes. Thousands of films to choose from across more than 50 countries?

People who want to use Kanopy, a video streaming platform for libraries with one of the largest and most unique collections in the world. It features more than 26,000 movies, documentaries, and indie and foreign films from hundreds of producers, including The Criterion Collection, The Great Courses, Kino Lorber, PBS and thousands of independent filmmakers?

People who prefer to read books, read magazines, or borrow DVDs without charge?

Public libraries provide phenomenal taxpayer benefit. I suggest the benefit of public libraries is unequalled.
LOL I hope you get recognized somewhere for your efforts one day.
Oct 13, 2016
730 posts
965 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
Nexzen wrote: LOL I hope you get recognized somewhere for your efforts one day.
Must be Library staff on the clock
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7780 upvotes
Vancouver
JHW wrote: All Kobos going back at least to 2014 models (probably older) have Pocket integration, which is incredibly useful. AFAIK Kindle only has this with very kludgy work-arounds.

Kindle has some great e-readers but the only strong case for using them is if you need some particular feature that only Kindle has, or if you buy a lot of e-books from Amazon. For most Canadian users (where public libraries use Overdrive) Kobo is the better bet.
I do miss Pocket a lot...

And for the Library argument... Count of hands, how many of yous really ever borrowed eBook from the Library??? What percentage of the books you read??

I, personally, still waiting on hold for 2 books. Over a year each... Totally not worth it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4664 posts
1242 upvotes
Toronto
max011 wrote: And for the Library argument... Count of hands, how many of yous really ever borrowed eBook from the Library??? What percentage of the books you read??
I guess it depends. A lot of people really like buying books, even if they only read the book once. In that case Kindle or Kobo would work. Many other people borrow from the library. I personally rarely buy books, unless they're unavailable from the library or I know I'm going to need them repeatedly over a long period. My borrowing is about 50% paper books and 50% e-books these days.

At least with Kobo, the option to borrow e-books is there, if your library uses Overdrive. You can also buy from Indigo or whatever. Kindle is very tight into the Amazon ecosystem.

You are correct that the waiting period for popular e-books can be long. This is due to the pricing that the publishers force on the libraries. My understanding is that a single e-book license will typically cost 3-4x what the hardcover equivalent will cost, and comes with a DRMed "expiry" that disables it after a year or two (so the library has to re-purchase). It's quite rapacious.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
MexiCanuck wrote: Public libraries provide phenomenal taxpayer benefit. I suggest the benefit of public libraries is unequalled.
I totally agree and taking a young child to a library will produce someone a lot different than plunking them in front of a TV or a videogame.

And do you know who is in libraries when I go? Immigrant families looking to educate their kids and give them a leg up and kudos to them for doing it - the youngest in our family recently got into an IB program and as a Caucasian, she's literally an extreme minority in her class. Whitey be in for a big surprise next generation.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
max011 wrote: I, personally, still waiting on hold for 2 books. Over a year each... Totally not worth it.
Library demand is way up, but funding keeps dropping, so that's what you get.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)