Amazon.ca

Amazon Basics Tape Measure - 25-Feet (8-Meters) $8.43 25%OFF

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2021 12:13 pm
Sep 3, 2014
878 posts
914 upvotes
Maple Ridge, BC
arisk wrote: Then you've never done anything involving lumber, building, etc.

I'm very much a fan of metric, but there are certain areas where imperial is the standard and to work in metric is a serious disadvantage or near impossible.
On the contrary, I’ve been working in construction for 32 years. Everything in engineering construction is all metric in Canada and the rest of the world that isn’t America.

Even stuff that comes from the USA is mostly manufactured in metric now and the dimensions on the shop drawings have been converted back to inches.

Remind me, what are the dimensions of a 2” x 4” again?
May 18, 2019
179 posts
87 upvotes
ON
i bought one from Canadian tire in 6$ which should be standard price for all tape measure. Just a trick to play with customers by jerking up the price and showing as sale later. It will measure the same length irrespective of the sale. Moreover, better to get one which measure both CM and INCHES.
Aug 11, 2007
274 posts
117 upvotes
BritsinCanada wrote: On the contrary, I’ve been working in construction for 32 years. Everything in engineering construction is all metric in Canada and the rest of the world that isn’t America.

Even stuff that comes from the USA is mostly manufactured in metric now and the dimensions on the shop drawings have been converted back to inches.

Remind me, what are the dimensions of a 2” x 4” again?
The actual dimensions of a 2 x 4 are 1.5 by 3.5 inches. Or 38 x 89 mm. I'm gonna have to give this one to imperial.

After years of having a metric + imperial measuring tape I finally went all imperial and it was the best choice I ever made.

Back when I knew a bit less than I know now I tried to order replacement glass for a window in mm, and was known by the shop as "the guy who ordered in metric".
Last edited by dipple on Sep 24th, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10797 posts
3195 upvotes
Winnipeg
can this tape measure twice at one time? Been looking for one of those.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2310 posts
1334 upvotes
London
BritsinCanada wrote: Remind me, what are the dimensions of a 2” x 4” again?
This...
dipple wrote: The actual dimensions of a 2 x 4 are 1.5 by 3.5 inches. Or 38 x 89 mm. I'm gonna have to give this one to imperial.
Just as stud centers are 16", even if you convert.

A pound of butter is still a pound of butter, even if labelled 454g