Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Amazon.ca $79.99 6-pack Filtrete 16x25x1 MPR 1500 Pleated AC Furnace Air Filter

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2019 4:46 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5829 posts
3366 upvotes
htauthority wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 11:24 am
Those with older furnaces, it is recommended to use a MERV 8 as maximum. Too hard on the furnace otherwise. Keep this in mind when buying filters.

Would love no dust in the house with the higher rated ones but not at the expense of the furnace.

If anyone sees a better price kindly let us know, they are cheaper than the furnace.ca ones it appears and well reviewed. There are the Aerostar ones as well.

https://www.amazon.ca/Nordic-16x25x1M8- ... way&sr=8-5
I just started to use the NA MERV8's as well. Not really notice any difference between these, 3M, Garrison, or Duststop.

I might try out the "seasonal" pack.
Dec 12, 2010
147 posts
67 upvotes
Tha DraGun wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 2:23 pm
I also saw a new kind of filter the other day which is also on sale. A smart filter which you connect to your phone. I would never buy one, but it's kinda neat. I know some people out there want smart everything for their home.

They say to change your filter every 3 months. However, in some cases you should be changing it more often, and sometimes you probably could have waited longer then 3 months. This filter will tell you.

Comparing it to the multi pack it seems like a lot of money. But if you buy just one at a time this one is actually not that much more.

On sale $20.99
https://www.rona.ca/en/filtrete-smart-a ... r-02095515
This is really just a gimmick. Its not able to actually monitor the airflow or condition of the filter, its basically just a timer, alerting you to change it after a predetermined time. Realistically, you can do the same thing by setting a reminder on your phone. I've done this with Siri in the past.. "remind me to change my furnace filter in 4 months", same thing but you down have to buy a more expensive filter, download an app, create an account, and pair your filter to it.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1147 posts
414 upvotes
htauthority wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 11:24 am
Those with older furnaces, it is recommended to use a MERV 8 as maximum. Too hard on the furnace otherwise. Keep this in mind when buying filters.

Would love no dust in the house with the higher rated ones but not at the expense of the furnace.

If anyone sees a better price kindly let us know, they are cheaper than the furnace.ca ones it appears and well reviewed. There are the Aerostar ones as well.

https://www.amazon.ca/Nordic-16x25x1M8- ... way&sr=8-5
furnacefilter.ca is still cheaper than Amazon. You get 12 with furnacefilter vs 6 with amazon.

https://furnacefilters.ca/collections/1 ... f-12-48-00
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2004
1468 posts
205 upvotes
Ajax
crashxxx wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 11:10 am
fwiw, I don't live in a completely sealed house. I also open the windows when it's cool in the evening and morning some days through the summer so the deal with filtering allergens out is redundant. I don't have a newer furnace. this entire filter busine$$ is just creative marketing. IMO .. about as useful as a cab filter in a vehicle.

I always try to find something like these and change every other (or 3 months)
merv 6 basic pleated @ CT $10/ 3pack
Bingo! Just bought 2 years worth of filters.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11332 posts
6136 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Waiting for Dollarama to stock filters soon.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1610 posts
1110 upvotes
well.. in reality, the original intention of the furnace filter is really just to filter large objects, like dust.. to protect the furnace itself...

its probably not intended to really be an air-filter and shouldn't serve that purpose anyways.

higher rated filters that says filters viruses/bacteria.. honestly, how much viruses/bacteria will actually travel through your air intake into the furnace? I think majority will land on the floor, or other objects than make its airborne way all the way to the furnace..

Just buy whatever makes you comfortable that filters well enough for dust.. Personally I go with just 1000mpr filtrete. People may prefer non 3M brand but personally I am a fan of the 3M brand. Their technology in filters is typically a lot more advanced than regular. So the $10/filter currently at homedepot ( 40 dollars, 4 pack ) is what I purchased and stocked up for.

Oh, I also wanted to add, for those that actually want air purification, please invest into an air filter machine instead. I have and use 2 units of Rabbit Air Minus A2 and it really captures a ridiculous amount of dust.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
8529 posts
2288 upvotes
4 of these for $44 at Costco and sometime they go on sale for about $8 off.
Jul 27, 2018
17 posts
2 upvotes
WillT25864 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 3:29 pm
Costco has 4 pack of kirkland 2000 filters for 38.99. Where i always get mine.

Imo always use a good filter and if youre worried about strain change it more frequently.

The Costco filters caused my furnace to short cycle. Took me weeks to figure out why as we just moved into the house. I had to go to a lesser MPR rated filter.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5133 posts
1079 upvotes
Thornhill
Hmm, I buy furnance filters at Canadian Tire for 4x cheaper and those aren't even the cheapest which are under $10...