Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals 2019

[Amazon.ca] Amazon.ca Black Friday Deals Are Now Live - Fire TV Stick 4K $34.99 + more great deals!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2019 9:13 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9084 posts
1400 upvotes
Victoria
AsianXL wrote: Well, it is publicly funded. The rest are not.
That part I get, but I don't think they charge much for carriage on cable.. IE they still make most of their money via adds (allthough I suppose because the cable companies own the OTA station, they have a vested interest in getting people to sub to basic cable to get them).

I feel like the ad revenue based TV channel isn't dead, it's just hard to get people to pay for it. IE the double dipping. If stuff is OTA anyways, and people can get it for free with an antenna, why not stream it for free and get that ad revenue. I'm not going to pay for CTV or cable, but you'd get ad revenue from me if it was available to stream for free.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1896 posts
805 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
zod wrote: That part I get, but I don't think they charge much for carriage on cable.. IE they still make most of their money via adds (allthough I suppose because the cable companies own the OTA station, they have a vested interest in getting people to sub to basic cable to get them).

I feel like the ad revenue based TV channel isn't dead, it's just hard to get people to pay for it. IE the double dipping. If stuff is OTA anyways, and people can get it for free with an antenna, why not stream it for free and get that ad revenue. I'm not going to pay for CTV or cable, but you'd get ad revenue from me if it was available to stream for free.
I think subscription cable will be dead in a few more years. I think it's absurd to pay for overpriced cable packages while being forced to watch TV ads at the same time.

In Asia, subscription TV services are already dead. People only pay for netflix-like services for VOD content. Most of the major networks provide free live and replay content over satellite, internet live streams or IPTV boxes. TV Networks upload their latest content on Youtube for people to watch for free (China). Major networks make most of their revenue from TV ads, and from selling product placements from their TV dramas (Korea and Japan).
Nov 25, 2019
19 posts
10 upvotes
Penticton, BC
4K stick finally arrived; took 4.5 days vs the 2 days but oh well the long national nightmare is over...LOL...gonna set up soon

Thanks to all who have posted here and provided information on this. Much appreciated
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26047 posts
11493 upvotes
I'm not reading 300 pages, but if someone didn't post AAA batteries, 100 of them for $20 is pretty damn hot.
Jul 28, 2007
498 posts
815 upvotes
Calgary
The power cable for the Fire Stick is ridiculously short. It's making me so angry. How is anyone with a mounted tv supposed to reach a power bar on the floor with this piece of garbage?!!! Aghh!!!!
Nov 25, 2019
19 posts
10 upvotes
Penticton, BC
spent some time installing and reviewing the 4K firestick. I knew there was a lot of content but its amazing what this thing can do..$34.99 too. I will have to look at my current cable and see what I can get rid of but most apps I would use have to be purchased anyway...Biggest reason I got this was because Netflix was no longer supported on my Sony "smart" TV. Netflix works great!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2005
1441 posts
611 upvotes
MB
Dunderhead wrote: The power cable for the Fire Stick is ridiculously short. It's making me so angry. How is anyone with a mounted tv supposed to reach a power bar on the floor with this piece of garbage?!!! Aghh!!!!
Use a HDMI Female to HDMI Female Adapter Coupler. Plug the Firestick to the power bar on the floor and use this on one end of the Firestick and use another hdmi cable to the TV.

Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12927 posts
4599 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I put the Fire TV 4k on VPN (via the router) but it detects it and won't let me stream any of the programs. Is there a way to fool the georestrictions to allow me to make it look like the device is in the U.S.?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
3695 posts
1205 upvotes
Ajax
bizstudent wrote: If anyone got an extra firetv that they are willing to sell to me @ cost +$5, please send me a message. Can meet in Vaughan mills area.
Maybe hold out as they could be on sale again for Boxing Day. I am sure those flyers will appear soon.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2006
1466 posts
80 upvotes
Dunderhead wrote: The power cable for the Fire Stick is ridiculously short. It's making me so angry. How is anyone with a mounted tv supposed to reach a power bar on the floor with this piece of garbage?!!! Aghh!!!!
Has the same issue, I luckily had my own power bar extender so it worked out.
Search GamerzPlace on google for your gaming needs
Dec 18, 2006
217 posts
104 upvotes
I put the fire stick on my denon receiver..so can reach my power bar..
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1169 posts
658 upvotes
Markham
rvs007 wrote: I put the Fire TV 4k on VPN (via the router) but it detects it and won't let me stream any of the programs. Is there a way to fool the georestrictions to allow me to make it look like the device is in the U.S.?
I have VPN app on the Firestick itself (log in to Canadian IP location tho) and it runs fine