Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals 2019

[Amazon.ca] Amazon.ca Black Friday Deals Are Now Live - Fire TV Stick 4K $34.99 + more great deals!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2019 9:13 am
Apr 20, 2015
32 posts
19 upvotes
Montr
AsianXL wrote: I think subscription cable will be dead in a few more years. I think it's absurd to pay for overpriced cable packages while being forced to watch TV ads at the same time.

In Asia, subscription TV services are already dead. People only pay for netflix-like services for VOD content. Most of the major networks provide free live and replay content over satellite, internet live streams or IPTV boxes. TV Networks upload their latest content on Youtube for people to watch for free (China). Major networks make most of their revenue from TV ads, and from selling product placements from their TV dramas (Korea and Japan).
zod wrote: That part I get, but I don't think they charge much for carriage on cable.. IE they still make most of their money via adds (allthough I suppose because the cable companies own the OTA station, they have a vested interest in getting people to sub to basic cable to get them).

I feel like the ad revenue based TV channel isn't dead, it's just hard to get people to pay for it. IE the double dipping. If stuff is OTA anyways, and people can get it for free with an antenna, why not stream it for free and get that ad revenue. I'm not going to pay for CTV or cable, but you'd get ad revenue from me if it was available to stream for free.

Think the same thing when I tried to view global love. It's ridiculous. I would have to mount an antenna on my roof to get the channels(my laziness only thing that keeps me from doing it) but rather do that than pay bell or videotron.
Jan 26, 2006
59 posts
1 upvote
Keswick
Does anyone have an extra Firetv 4K that they are willing to sell to me @ cost +$5, please send me a message. Can meet in London or St Thomas area.
Mar 12, 2019
8 posts
I'm surprised some of the Amazon devices are out of stock till 2020? Does anyone think that this will change and that they will get stock in before Christmas?
Nov 16, 2016
87 posts
67 upvotes
I bought 2 firesticks. 1 works perfectly, the other reboots itself every time I try to launch a movie from plex. I’ve tried restoring to factory settings etc. I’m guessing it’s a dud. Anyone else have this problem?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3040 posts
2052 upvotes
Canadia
sunnyjim wrote: I'm surprised some of the Amazon devices are out of stock till 2020? Does anyone think that this will change and that they will get stock in before Christmas?
No, Amazon sold hundreds of thousands of the little things. They quite literally have to wait for the boat to arrive -- this is a sign that their factory is running flat out, assembling and shipping as fast as possible by container ship from China.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
3392 posts
3054 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
TAZ99 wrote: LOL I agree
Since it's a std micro usb cable you can buy longer length cables if required.
I tried using the USB port behind my TV as well but I wasn't sure if that was a good idea. Seemed to work though...
I believe it's been mentioned that if you plug it into the TV's USB port then it's likely the Fire Stick will only get power when the TV is actually turned on, unless your TV specifically calls out that the USB port you're using always remains on.
Jun 18, 2005
376 posts
50 upvotes
For folks that have been using the fire stick + echo, is there a way to turn the TV (or Fire TV) on and off via Echo? Can't seem to get it to work. I'm able to get the tv to turn on by saying "turn on Netflix" or "play ____ on amazon video" but not "turn on / off TV (or Fire TV)"

Saying "Turn on / off TV" seems to work when i speak to the Fire TV remote however, just not through Echo.
Dec 20, 2006
570 posts
46 upvotes
chemicalxv wrote: I believe it's been mentioned that if you plug it into the TV's USB port then it's likely the Fire Stick will only get power when the TV is actually turned on, unless your TV specifically calls out that the USB port you're using always remains on.
I tried this and the firestick had a note on the display that it was plugged into a non supported USB and that the proper adapter was needed.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3016 posts
1142 upvotes
silva95teg wrote: I tried this and the firestick had a note on the display that it was plugged into a non supported USB and that the proper adapter was needed.
Just a note, I have 3 sticks and all 3 cried out that warning when plugged into the USB port only. I have 1 that's been connected without the power adapter for a year now with no issues.

I think it's a general warning that doesn't mean it can't work. Basically, if you can give it power, just do it, but it will be fine on just a USB port.
Temp. Banned
Jul 21, 2019
344 posts
645 upvotes
Anyone find a free VPN to use on the Firestick that doesn't have usage caps. I looked online but could only find paid ones, or free ones that had ridiculous limits to what you could use, one was only 500 MB, which would be 1-2 movies at most.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13209 posts
4890 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Brandon26 wrote: Anyone find a free VPN to use on the Firestick that doesn't have usage caps. I looked online but could only find paid ones, or free ones that had ridiculous limits to what you could use, one was only 500 MB, which would be 1-2 movies at most.
It seems Windscribe as a Fire TV app... I'll try that tonight and see how well it works.
Nov 1, 2015
437 posts
154 upvotes
BC
My stick still hasn't arrived. It shipped on the Nov 30th. It's been sitting at the local sorting facility since Dec 3 according to tracking. People who ordered after me already got theirs.
Jan 13, 2013
44 posts
9 upvotes
TORONTO
zod wrote: Yah the CTV one has a locking icon over the livestreams. It's too bad. It would be awesome if all the OTA stations in Canada streamed their channels for free (making money from the ads). I love how CBC livestreams their channels for free.
How is CBC live stream free? I went CBC website and it says Live stream is $4.99 per month