Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Amazon.ca - Epiphone LP Special II Les Paul Electric Guitar, Vintage Sunburst $139.95

Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3863 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
royaljelly wrote: Thx for the post OP, I ordered one for myself and my kids to learn with.

Since we don't have an amp, I'm thinking of getting Rocksmith to use with our xbox one, but anyone tried the iRig 2 with a iphone?
just get a cheap amp for now. i have the irig only for recording random things when i'm not in my basement full of gear. its a slight hassle to have to get the adapter, headphones, set the app and choose your virtual amps and pedals and etc etc etc. each time you want to jam. these small little things are gonna be a barrier to actively learning to play.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3863 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
Dave510 wrote: I'm guessing it's much easier to get custom left handed instruments when you're Jimi Hendrix, Paul McCartney or Kurt Cobain.
none of those are custom. they're just flipped. you can tell because the pick guard is on the top rather than the bottom, and in the case of hendrix, the tuning keys are on the 'wrong' side.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
3232 posts
2876 upvotes
GTA Ontario
noplan wrote: this is my personal limited knowledge but if you guys want to fool around you might as well get an acoustic. it's harder to play but i think you'll enjoy it more as a beginner/rhythm guitar player.

if you do plan on playing around with rocksmith, then yes you should buy this.
It's true that an acoustic is cheaper than an electric and doesn't need an amp. And it's true that it's harder to play, in that it has higher action so you need to press the strings harder, and you need to build up your fingertips by playing it a lot before you'll be able to play it very long without pain. And that's one reason why it's not at all a good idea to try to start with an acoustic if what you really want to play is electric. They're two different instruments with very different sounds and playing experiences. The biggest challenge beginners face is the practice time and effort required and the frustration of not yet being able to play that tune in their head. The last thing they need is something that makes it harder and can't even make the sound they want.

That's also why it's not a good idea to get the cheapest electric guitar you can find. If it doesn't play well and doesn't stay in tune you won't enjoy playing it as much and won't practice as much. That's why it's great to get feedback from people who have a beginner guitar and can tell us the pros & cons, especially if they have the guitar in the OP.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
3232 posts
2876 upvotes
GTA Ontario
SHR3WD wrote: Will I need to buy anything else with this? Like an amp of something or can I just connect it with my existing speaker system? Just looking to learn and fool around with it a little.
The Rocksmith cable is a great suggestion, if you don't mind firing up your console or PC and monitor to play. Or if you want more convenience, portability, and/or privacy, you can get an adapter that connects your guitar to your headphones, like this:
https://www.primecables.com/en/p-351770 ... gLvnvD_BwE
(Not necessarily the best source; shop around for that one or similar ones)
Or if you do want to fill the room with sound, something like this is fun and convenient and has some basic effects (I got one a lot cheaper on sale a couple years ago, so hopefully you can find it cheaper somewhere):
https://www.amazon.ca/Danelectro-Honeyt ... op?ie=UTF8 and I'd get a 9V adapter for it too to avoid buying 9V batteries, or get a rechargeable 9V.
Jun 8, 2012
322 posts
126 upvotes
OakAged wrote: The Rocksmith cable is a great suggestion, if you don't mind firing up your console or PC and monitor to play. Or if you want more convenience, portability, and/or privacy, you can get an adapter that connects your guitar to your headphones, like this:
https://www.primecables.com/en/p-351770 ... gLvnvD_BwE
(Not necessarily the best source; shop around for that one or similar ones)
Or if you do want to fill the room with sound, something like this is fun and convenient and has some basic effects (I got one a lot cheaper on sale a couple years ago, so hopefully you can find it cheaper somewhere):
https://www.amazon.ca/Danelectro-Honeyt ... op?ie=UTF8 and I'd get a 9V adapter for it too to avoid buying 9V batteries, or get a rechargeable 9V.
These are great ideas. Thank you!
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1274 posts
1454 upvotes
Surrey
OakAged wrote: It's true that an acoustic is cheaper than an electric and doesn't need an amp. And it's true that it's harder to play, in that it has higher action so you need to press the strings harder, and you need to build up your fingertips by playing it a lot before you'll be able to play it very long without pain. And that's one reason why it's not at all a good idea to try to start with an acoustic if what you really want to play is electric. They're two different instruments with very different sounds and playing experiences. The biggest challenge beginners face is the practice time and effort required and the frustration of not yet being able to play that tune in their head. The last thing they need is something that makes it harder and can't even make the sound they want.

That's also why it's not a good idea to get the cheapest electric guitar you can find. If it doesn't play well and doesn't stay in tune you won't enjoy playing it as much and won't practice as much. That's why it's great to get feedback from people who have a beginner guitar and can tell us the pros & cons, especially if they have the guitar in the OP.
I would have to disagree with the not starting with the acoustic guitar part. It isn't any harder to play than an electric guitar. Yes, it is true that the strings tend to be a heavier gauge which all will deal with at one point or another. But that should not deter you from playing one. Even with a lighter string gauge on the electric, a person who first starts playing will have sore fingers. You can change the strings to a lighter gauge if the strings are too heavy for you.

The action on any guitar can be adjusted and tailored to the individual. It really depends on your playing style. All of my acoustics have low action. They are setup according to my playing style and I have zero issues with them.

Proper fretting of the chords and notes are important. Pressing harder on the strings, wouldn't recommend it. You change the pitch of the note you are playing if you press too hard. In essence you end up accidentally bending the note. The type of neck also has a factor in this. If you have smaller hands, you may want a smaller neck radius. This is why it's important to hold the instrument first before committing to a purchase.

Here's a link to some info on different neck profiles. In case anyone is wondering, I have all those profiles and they all serve a purpose.

https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-ta ... is-for-you

I started playing on a classical guitar. I absolutely hated it! The action was so damn high on it and the fret board was way too big for my hands. Years later, I still don't like playing it. Not my thing. But that guitar was built for a different purpose. You wouldn't be rocking out a track by Rancid on it.

If anyone wants a decent acoustic to start out on without breaking the bank. One that is built well and has great action and neck profile. Check out the Art and Lutherie guitars. They are all made out of the Godin factory in Quebec. Great guitars and they play really well.

With any guitar you purchase, make sure you take the time and get it setup to how you like it. If you find the action too high, a quick trip to the Luthier can solve that. Strings too heavy? They can be changed to a lighter gauge. That neck profile though, you can't really change that much without getting in there to sand it down. As you play, you'll know how you want to hold the guitar. I can pretty much guarantee that almost no seasoned player here has not setup their guitars to suit their needs.

When I posted earlier about the feel of the guitar, the things mentioned above was what I was referring to. If it is uncomfortable for the player, they are likely not going to be motivated to continue on. Getting a guitar is like buying a pair of shoes in many respects. If it's comfy, you'll wear it. If it isn't and if there are things that bother you about, it'll likely end up tossed in the closet. I guess one of the important questions we forgot to ask the OP is, what type of music do they want to play?
Jul 26, 2016
12 posts
1 upvote
For me I would suggest you to get a pedal effector so you can hook it with your headphone, no AMP need, and probably you won't need to buy anything for a while!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2010
5314 posts
1251 upvotes
rancid82 wrote: I would have to disagree with the not starting with the acoustic guitar part.
To be fair, that's not exactly what he said:

And that's one reason why it's not at all a good idea to try to start with an acoustic if what you really want to play is electric.

Regardless of what's easier to play, he's right. There's only one valid answer to the question of "what should I start with?" And that's "whatever you want to play".
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2002
5863 posts
2612 upvotes
appleb wrote: Both Amazon and Best Buy are selling for $139. The amazon listing says savings of $109, but the Best Buy listing the savings is only $10. Which one is correct?

https://www.amazon.ca/Epiphone-Special- ... B0002CZUV0
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/Search/Sear ... e+les+paul
MSRP/Normal price for this is $249, so the Amazon discount seems to be correct.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1274 posts
1454 upvotes
Surrey
JustBob wrote: To be fair, that's not exactly what he said:

And that's one reason why it's not at all a good idea to try to start with an acoustic if what you really want to play is electric.

Regardless of what's easier to play, he's right. There's only one valid answer to the question of "what should I start with?" And that's "whatever you want to play".
Oh for sure. I'm not disagreeing with his entire post. Just the part about the acoustic. But it's just a different point of view. I don't think he's wrong with stating that at all. There was some discussion in the previous posts about how acoustics are harder to play but there are ways to make it easier. It's also to help develop your skills on the guitar. I find you develop a lot of bad habits on the electric vs the acoustics. On an acoustic, if you make mistakes, it's more apparent. Now, having said that, unless you play on a clean channel on the electric, you can hide a lot of imperfections.

The post was meant to be more info to the OP. I should have cut out some of the post to quote and separated them. Both acoustics and electrics can be easy or hard to play. As posted, it's largely in part due to how the guitar is setup (no matter acoustics or electrics). I've played electrics that were terrible, high action, much like some acoustics. For a decent acoustic like the Simon and Patrick I mentioned, the action is quite low and it really is a pleasure to play.

At the end of the day, if the instrument the OP picks fits their needs, that's the important thing. Again, no disrespect to his opinion at all. Just a different view.
Dec 28, 2009
358 posts
123 upvotes
Noodled with a demo last night and found the strings a bit too high off the fretboard for my liking although I assume that can be adjusted....probably still okay for a beginner.

The Heritage Cherry model beside it looked quite sharp though.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1274 posts
1454 upvotes
Surrey
Ninja15 wrote: Noodled with a demo last night and found the strings a bit too high off the fretboard for my liking although I assume that can be adjusted....probably still okay for a beginner.

The Heritage Cherry model beside it looked quite sharp though.
yeah the string height can be adjusted at the bridge. You can get a proper setup by a Luthier for $30 to $100 depending on what you need done. Even better if you have a buddy who can help you do it. I have an Epiphone LP custom and even paying 6 times the price of this, the action was still high on it. I had to do a bit of setup work to get it to how I wanted it to feel. Overall fairly happy with it. Did everything else feel good though?
Jan 22, 2011
66 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
The price has increased $10 at both BestBuy and Amazon.ca FYI
Aug 17, 2012
418 posts
562 upvotes
Victoria
This would be a good instrument for a beginner and would pair very well with a Traynor practice amp or a Roland micro cube. If you don't want to buy an amp, there are several cheaper options for iPad that give you an adapter for guitar input and have virtual amp software (such as irig 2).

In this price range, my favorite guitars are the Agiles (purchase online from Rondo music) and Jay Turser guitars, but there's nothing wrong with Epiphone either.
Nov 16, 2012
677 posts
189 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Can you (or anyone else) make a recommendation for an acoustic guitar around the same price? For a complete novice wanting to learn!!
Aug 17, 2012
418 posts
562 upvotes
Victoria
infamousdealer wrote: Can you (or anyone else) make a recommendation for an acoustic guitar around the same price? For a complete novice wanting to learn!!
If you're able to spend a little bit more (maybe around $300), go for a Simon & Patrick or Seagull acoustic guitar. They are made in Canada (Quebec) and are excellent value instruments.

Epiphone makes some cool looking acoustic guitars too, especially the jumbos, but they don't sound as balanced and resonant (except for the Epiphone Masterbilt line which is excellent but closer to $700).