• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2021 2:33 am
[OP]
Feb 3, 2013
308 posts
278 upvotes
Victoria

[Amazon.ca] Amazon.ca Neil Young Re-ac-tor Vinyl L.P. $18.49 EXPIRED

Update 1/11/21 Now 18.49 was $14.14 Decent price for early 80's Neil Young vinyl. Last album before he moved to Geffen Records. They also have his prior vinyl album Hawks and Doves for $16.16
Last edited by PaliGap on Jan 25th, 2021 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2079 posts
1504 upvotes
Not a huge fan of Neil Young but I would totally grab some of his records at that price. Except I did not care for those albums lol. Really wish it was Rust Never Sleeps lol

Oh well still a big +1 OP as Vinyl just don't drop below $20 very often!
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
14226 posts
4729 upvotes
Toronto
I'm a Neil Young fan, but lesser, mostly forgotten albums like this are for the hardcore only.

If you are new to Neil, this is not a good entry point.
Mar 17, 2016
117 posts
83 upvotes
Love Neil Young but this album is really bad. Not a deal if you don't listen to it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5015 posts
2447 upvotes
Ottawa
I have this album (on vinyl and likely in near mint condition) and would happily sell it for $5 - and I am a fan.

That being said, this is FAR from Neil's worst. Other than Decade (which is among the best greatest hits albums out there - by anybody), my NY vinyl doesn't get played much these days...
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
14226 posts
4729 upvotes
Toronto
CaptSmethwick wrote: I have this album (on vinyl and likely in near mint condition) and would happily sell it for $5 - and I am a fan.

That being said, this is FAR from Neil's worst. Other than Decade (which is among the best greatest hits albums out there - by anybody), my NY vinyl doesn't get played much these days...
Neil had some amazing albums, and some truly terrible ones.

If someone wants a lesser known Neil album that is actually amazing, they should seek out On the Beach.
Sep 15, 2019
141 posts
351 upvotes
orleans
It looks like some of his albums are on sale.

Hawks & Doves is a better album on for about $15.

It looks like a lot of his popular albums are sold out on Prime, so I'd guess most were on sale. Shows how expensive vinyl is when 15 for a single album is a hot deal.
I will tell my grandchildren about the deal I got on an HP Touchpad at the Bank street staples thanks to rfding.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5015 posts
2447 upvotes
Ottawa
Kurtz7834 wrote: Neil had some amazing albums, and some truly terrible ones.

If someone wants a lesser known Neil album that is actually amazing, they should seek out On the Beach.
I have that album as well and I agree. For a while, my old vinyl of On the Beach was a collector's item as it was delisted for decades and wasn't released on CD until the early 2000s. Since the release of the CD and newer vinyl versions, it's probably worth $10 today at most.
Sep 15, 2019
141 posts
351 upvotes
orleans
On The Beach is one of his best albums. It is probably my favorite along with After The Gold Rush.

Harvest is the best entry point to Neil Young. It's a strong album and is his most accessible. I also really like Live At Massey Hall.

His music varies a lot between acoustic rock, more heartland/country type rock, and heavier rock. You can't go wrong with any album released in the 70s of his, but they do vary in quality, and they are very different. Someone might love Harvest, but not like Rust Never Sleeps.

His 80's work is basically a curiosity. There are some choice songs on his albums from the first half of the 80's, but unless you are a Neil Young fanatic, they aren't anything you're going to listen to start to finish multiple times. Things pick up again in the late 80's where he starts having stronger releases with This Notes For You, Freedom, and then in the early 90's with Ragged Glory, Harvest Moon, Sleeps With Angels, and Mirror Ball. Ragged Glory is really strong, a lot of people like Mirror Ball. While most of his early 90's work is loud rock, Harvest Moon is a detour from that, so if you like Harvest or his 70's work with those kind of arrangements, Harvest Moon is a solid choice.
I will tell my grandchildren about the deal I got on an HP Touchpad at the Bank street staples thanks to rfding.
[OP]
Feb 3, 2013
308 posts
278 upvotes
Victoria
pierrefrom0rleans wrote: On The Beach is one of his best albums. It is probably my favorite along with After The Gold Rush.

Harvest is the best entry point to Neil Young. It's a strong album and is his most accessible. I also really like Live At Massey Hall.

His music varies a lot between acoustic rock, more heartland/country type rock, and heavier rock. You can't go wrong with any album released in the 70s of his, but they do vary in quality, and they are very different. Someone might love Harvest, but not like Rust Never Sleeps.

His 80's work is basically a curiosity. There are some choice songs on his albums from the first half of the 80's, but unless you are a Neil Young fanatic, they aren't anything you're going to listen to start to finish multiple times. Things pick up again in the late 80's where he starts having stronger releases with This Notes For You, Freedom, and then in the early 90's with Ragged Glory, Harvest Moon, Sleeps With Angels, and Mirror Ball. Ragged Glory is really strong, a lot of people like Mirror Ball. While most of his early 90's work is loud rock, Harvest Moon is a detour from that, so if you like Harvest or his 70's work with those kind of arrangements, Harvest Moon is a solid choice.
Agree with this. My favorites are the Ditch Trilogy;Time Fades Away,On the Beach, Tonight's the Night. Neil was really hot in the seventies and must have produced a huge volume of music based on what has been subsequently released. I started losing interest after Rust Never Sleeps. I bought Re-ac-tor mainly because it's more of a curiosity. I'll report back if this is a legit remaster as I recall seeing a vinyl Euro Zuma that I believe was produced from a C.D.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2004
1089 posts
487 upvotes
Orleans, ON
Got mashed potatoes, ain't got no T-bone
#melnykout
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5015 posts
2447 upvotes
Ottawa
pierrefrom0rleans wrote:
Shows how expensive vinyl is when 15 for a single album is a hot deal.
True. In fairness, $4.99 was a sale price in 1981 and that would be equivalent to $15 in 2021. Plus, the quality of domestically-pressed vinyl records in the 1980s was dreadful; it is significantly better today.
Dec 12, 2020
29 posts
1 upvote
Analogue fans, can someone please suggest a good turntable and speaker set up?

Ps: budding audiophile
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2003
4183 posts
96 upvotes
Cambridge
PaliGap wrote: Agree with this. My favorites are the Ditch Trilogy;Time Fades Away,On the Beach, Tonight's the Night. Neil was really hot in the seventies and must have produced a huge volume of music based on what has been subsequently released. I started losing interest after Rust Never Sleeps. I bought Re-ac-tor mainly because it's more of a curiosity. I'll report back if this is a legit remaster as I recall seeing a vinyl Euro Zuma that I believe was produced from a C.D.
Heh, I remember all the upset when he went electric, too. I’m hot n cold on Neil as well.
OT.....Pali Gap. Awesome jam. My favourite is Hey Baby from that album. Pali Gap also a place in Hawaii, beautiful spot if you get the chance to go.
[OP]
Feb 3, 2013
308 posts
278 upvotes
Victoria
stevethewheel wrote: Heh, I remember all the upset when he went electric, too. I’m hot n cold on Neil as well.
OT.....Pali Gap. Awesome jam. My favourite is Hey Baby from that album. Pali Gap also a place in Hawaii, beautiful spot if you get the chance to go.
One of my favorite Hendrix tunes. Notice I removed the "gap"! lol
My understanding is that there is no real spot known as the Pali Gap. Pali Lookout and Pali Highway yes. Evidently it was a jam was known as "Slow Part" during Jimi's lifetime. It was a continuation of a take of Dolly Dagger that had broken down. Hendrix's manager Mike Jeffrey renamed it Pali Gap to tie into the posthumous album and movie Rainbow Bridge which was shot in Hawaii.

The re ac tor album sounds like a contractual obligation; almost like the songs and jams were written on the spot. Last album before he went to Geffen. It's growing on me with each listen. It is a proper Reprise release mastered from the original analogue tapes.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)