Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

[Amazon.ca] Synology DS220+ two bay NAS ($343.49 ATL)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2021 6:20 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 20, 2019
404 posts
518 upvotes
Ottawa

[Amazon.ca] [Amazon.ca] Synology DS220+ two bay NAS ($343.49 ATL)

All time low based on CCC.

Edit: A user reported below that it was 299 in June. CCC doesn't report that drop but it's good to keep that in mind.

Link to previous offer: newegg-synology-ds220-299-99-2472658/
Last edited by aouniat on Sep 3rd, 2021 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
14 replies
Apr 14, 2010
236 posts
66 upvotes
Got mine in June for 299. Still great price and great product.
Jun 18, 2018
127 posts
92 upvotes
For anyone uncertain about getting one for their backups: These are great.

I have a DS213j that I got all the way back in 2013. It's also a 2-bay unit and is still going strong. I had to replace one of the drives about 2-years ago but nothing else. (which is why you ideally put these in a "disk mirror mode" so if one drive fails its no big deal, all you do is pop in a new one) It backs up my stuff every night and then replicates automatically all new & changed files to OneDrive. Really great product.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
1476 posts
77 upvotes
unnamed88 wrote: Got mine in June for 299. Still great price and great product.
Really? From where??!
Apr 14, 2010
236 posts
66 upvotes
doubleA wrote: Really? From where??!

Amazon/newegg

Search expired deal.
There was a promo for DS920+ as well.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14118 posts
4732 upvotes
RFD
DoNotBan wrote: For anyone uncertain about getting one for their backups: These are great.

I have a DS213j that I got all the way back in 2013. It's also a 2-bay unit and is still going strong. I had to replace one of the drives about 2-years ago but nothing else. (which is why you ideally put these in a "disk mirror mode" so if one drive fails its no big deal, all you do is pop in a new one) It backs up my stuff every night and then replicates automatically all new & changed files to OneDrive. Really great product.
Sounds like a reliable brand, unit. Thanks for the information. Disk mirror mode is as easy as plug and play.
Sep 6, 2014
133 posts
43 upvotes
Lethbridge, AB
I picked one up from a sale around the boxing day last year. It is working out very well for our family. This looks like a great price!
Oct 14, 2007
415 posts
468 upvotes
Thedford
I have one of these and am happy with its performance, but given the two bay configuration the redundancy choice is limited. Large hard drives continue to be fairly expensive.

FWIW, if I were to do it again, I would have sprung for a 4 bay NAS even if it has less features. You would have more options to mix / match drives as well as back up choices.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
6315 posts
2459 upvotes
Toronto
What's more powerful, this or an Intel i5 NUC?
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2535 posts
752 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have a DS211+. Would there be any worthwhile upgrades in moving to this?
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
2060 posts
937 upvotes
Antarctica
DoNotBan wrote: For anyone uncertain about getting one for their backups: These are great.

Is it possible to have it automatically encrypt data before backing up to one drive?
Jun 18, 2018
127 posts
92 upvotes
Crichtonfan wrote: Is it possible to have it automatically encrypt data before backing up to one drive?
Not to start a tech thread but yes. I do.

The native Synology app called Cloud Sync, has an encryption option. It can either sync at all times (i.e: as soon as there is a new or changed file it uploads it) or at a specific time. I have mine sync at 11pm every day.

That being said, if you need to access those documents/files in OneDrive, you need to download them and "unlock" them with a decryption tool. Quite simple. Just be sure you store the encryption key somewhere safe and where you will find it if you need it :-)

https://www.synology.com/en-ca/dsm/feature/cloud_sync
Last edited by DoNotBan on Sep 4th, 2021 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3031 posts
2844 upvotes
Montreal
pswart wrote: I have a DS211+. Would there be any worthwhile upgrades in moving to this?
Absolutely. BTRFS and docker. Huge upgrades.