Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Amazon - Clover Leaf Tuna in Olive Oil - 24 Count - $24

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2020 1:27 am
Oct 28, 2004
315 posts
105 upvotes
Nikhilvoid wrote: Nice. Great timing with the free mayo thread. hope the olive oil isn't too spicy
Where is the free mayo thread??
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4040 posts
5148 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
tropicana wrote: Where is the free mayo thread??
Mods deleted it because they wanted to hoard all the mayo. McDs was offering condiment packets for free on Ubereats
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2067 posts
62 upvotes
Recoil wrote: Take note this is Skipjack, instead of the Yellowfin which is usually inside this particular packaging.
Avoid yellowfin tuna, yes maybe it's a more expensive tuna but pound for pound it also has more mercury due to the way we are polluting the oceans these days.
Aug 12, 2011
367 posts
170 upvotes
Toronto
Would there be any health concerns to feed this kind of tuna to kids (under 6?). How much amount and often would be safe?
Jan 11, 2004
245 posts
151 upvotes
aokec wrote: Avoid yellowfin tuna, yes maybe it's a more expensive tuna but pound for pound it also has more mercury due to the way we are polluting the oceans these days.
Also if you find yourself eating canned tuna often you may want try some different canned varieties of smaller fish like herring and mackerel that are lower in mercury. Gold Seal Mediterranean mackerel in olive oil is as good as Rio Mare tuna. But my favorite is the Brunswick Golden smoked kippers, no water or oil added.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2372 posts
416 upvotes
vik56in wrote: Water has a lot of sodium which is a preservative. Tuna in olive oil is better .
I prefer it without the extra calories from the oil.
Aug 25, 2012
167 posts
245 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Life is too short to eat stuff like this
If you like them, please be sure to up vote my posts! When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31827 posts
5885 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
MasterAvatar wrote: What is the difference between the 85g version and the 170g version?
Crap, didn't realise the one at Amazon was the 85 g version.

I think the 85 g is a snack size.

According to the Loblaws flyer, the 170 g is packed in water. The 85 g is packed in olive oil

Trying to cancel my order now
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
7412 posts
1588 upvotes
Mont-Royal
dicecube wrote: Is it mercury free?
tuna has a lot of mercury, a lot! it's however pretty good for protein sources. it would be great if i can eat everyday, but i will die from mercury poisoning which has no cure. 1 can per week is the recommandation
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3174 posts
1670 upvotes
Calgary
Been wanting to make tuna fried rice (& sandwiches) for the longest but always forgetting to get some. Now I've no excuse. Thanks OP
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2013
1218 posts
858 upvotes
Toronto
OOS
Public Mobile
Tangerine
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5593 posts
1127 upvotes
Montreal
Recoil wrote: Take note this is Skipjack, instead of the Yellowfin which is usually inside this particular packaging.
I worked for StarKist Tuna for more than 7 years but that was decades ago. I don't know if much has changed

In fact, I would say it's a blend of Yellowfin and Skipjack rather than just Skipjack. The problem with Yellowfin tuna is that it's larger than Skipjack and usually too high in mercury which is absorbed naturally from the sea environment to be processed on its own. Skipjack, on the other hand, is smaller, has much less mercury content, but is much more costly to clean and process.

The standard procedure is to blend the 2 so that mercury content is brought below the allowable limit and is economically feasible to process. That being said, if labour costs are reduced because the cannery is located in Thailand, it's possible that it's only Skipjack but not likely.

From my point-of-view, the idea that Yellowfin is somehow superior is nothing more than marketing.
Phils