Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Amazon - Deal of the Day - Netgear Nighthawk X4 AC2200 Wifi Extender - $129.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2018 10:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4186 posts
997 upvotes
West Side GTA

[Amazon.ca] Amazon - Deal of the Day - Netgear Nighthawk X4 AC2200 Wifi Extender - $129.99

Cheapest I've seen and also according to camel's site.Image

Extreme dual band WiFi speed - up to 2200Mbps
MU-MIMO for simultaneously streaming to multiple devices
High-power amplifiers & internal antenna array increases range
Beamforming+ improves wireless range & reliability
FastLane Technology - Use both WiFi bands to establish one super high-speed connection; ideal for HD streaming & gaming
Number of Ethernet Ports: One (1) 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet port with auto-sensing technology
22 replies
Feb 4, 2017
87 posts
128 upvotes
At this price (and normal price) why buy this instead of a better routeur?
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
15213 posts
4361 upvotes
Scarberia
an extender = a repeater? if yes, so basically this connects to your router at ac speeds using ur ssid/pass,,, then it allows other devices to connect to it using the SAME ssid and password or can it setup different passwords from your router? tia
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Aug 25, 2011
341 posts
224 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Mesh networks are free now from Telus, bell
Why get this
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5498 posts
1437 upvotes
Toronto
Can someone confirm - does this create a new network you need to switch to in order to take advantage of, or does it just extend the range of your existing network? I have an extender that requires you to switch SSIDs and there's no point, really ...
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3780 posts
2701 upvotes
Toronto
Corneliuss wrote: Mesh networks are free now from Telus, bell
Why get this
What? Meaning they are giving hardware besides the homehub?
FreezingCanada wrote: We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Nov 13, 2017
113 posts
111 upvotes
Ontario
Tig wrote: According to Bell, the HH3K is $7/mth and the Wifi mesh is an additional $5/mth.

https://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/WiFi# ... _120617_pb
We've been having pretty spotty service with Bell. Called into customer service a few months back to complain and they upgraded us to the HH3K (from the HH2K) for free. Was still having problems so we called in again last week after finding out about the wifi mesh pods. They sent us the 4-pack and gave us 1 year's worth of billing credit for it.

I'm not confirming that it's going to be free for everyone, just adding my experience.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3200 posts
900 upvotes
Mississauga
DonJoe wrote: We've been having pretty spotty service with Bell. Called into customer service a few months back to complain and they upgraded us to the HH3K (from the HH2K) for free. Was still having problems so we called in again last week after finding out about the wifi mesh pods. They sent us the 4-pack and gave us 1 year's worth of billing credit for it.

I'm not confirming that it's going to be free for everyone, just adding my experience.
When you say "problems" do you mean that the HH2K/HH3K don't provide a strong/consistent signal throughout the house? And if so, approx how big is your home (sqft)? And did the mesh network improve your signal/resolve your problem? The reason I ask is because I have an HH3K on the main floor of a 4bdrm house and there are spots where the signal is weak.
Nov 13, 2017
113 posts
111 upvotes
Ontario
Tig wrote: When you say "problems" do you mean that the HH2K/HH3K don't provide a strong/consistent signal throughout the house?
Pretty much. Using the network across ~2K sqft, 2 floors. Because we have Fibe TV set up and the home hub has to be connected directly to the main TV's receiver, which is located in one corner of the house, our signal was pretty inconsistent throughout the rest of the house as you can imagine; it wasn't just slower, the signal was also weak enough that computers at the opposite end of the house were actually disconnecting. My phone would switch to using data because the wifi was that weak in those areas. We had more problems before, but they were fixed with the HH3K.

The mesh network really helped with stabilizing the signal. As far as speeds go, I'm getting about 90% of our quoted speeds on my computer which is pretty much at the furthest point of the house from the home hub, so it's doing well in that manner. Granted, I've only been using them for a couple days so those are just my short-term results.

Something I noticed when setting up the mesh network is that the bell wifi app says that the home hub and wifi pods will automatically adapt themselves to my network's needs over the next 24/48 hours, prioritizing rooms/areas that need faster speeds. So the software learns and works automatically once you pair the pods, you don't have to go in and fiddle with any settings.
Last edited by DonJoe on Feb 12th, 2018 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10517 posts
2878 upvotes
Winnipeg
Corneliuss wrote: Mesh networks are free now from Telus, bell
Why get this
Tig wrote: According to Bell, the HH3K is $7/mth and the Wifi mesh is an additional $5/mth.

https://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/WiFi# ... _120617_pb
thats not free. Thats $144 a year. Plus its all cloud based too. Even if they give you one year free they get you eventually.
I would wait for the Tenda nova MW6 mesh.
Not cloud based 3 pods $150 usd.
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireles ... ed?start=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=new
Last edited by lead on Feb 12th, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 31, 2009
777 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto
i recently got the XiaoMi wifi extender, it works like the Bell wall plugin you can manage it on your smartphone. the signal so far is pretty good and before I barely get any signal from my room on the second floor :)
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10517 posts
2878 upvotes
Winnipeg
cdfegab wrote: i recently got the XiaoMi wifi extender, it works like the Bell wall plugin you can manage it on your smartphone. the signal so far is pretty good and before I barely get any signal from my room on the second floor :)
thats only 2.4ghz.

I use the gemini from edimax goes on sale for 50 usd around 80 bucks for 2 shipped. Its mesh like uses RSSI-based roaming assist so any legacy client device will work without .r.k standards. Works pretty good for the money and I can use any opensource router for dhcp.
Aug 31, 2009
777 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote: thats only 2.4ghz.

I use the gemini from edimax goes on sale for 50 usd around 80 bucks for 2 shipped. Its mesh like uses RSSI-based roaming assist so any legacy client device will work without .r.k standards. Works pretty good for the money and I can use any opensource router for dhcp.
you are absolutely right, it's only 2.4 XD
but it was only $14 haha
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2007
1023 posts
196 upvotes
Montreal
U only got half speed.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2003
1079 posts
429 upvotes
Does this create a new wifi network ssid that i have to connect to, or does it just boost the existing network ssid?
Jul 15, 2017
360 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
escalade wrote: Does this create a new wifi network ssid that i have to connect to, or does it just boost the existing network ssid?
I have the AC1900 model. Could possibly be the same for this model, but you have both options of being able to create a new (extended) wifi network and also just extend your existing network so you can keep using the same one.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2003
1079 posts
429 upvotes
Brrandon wrote: I have the AC1900 model. Could possibly be the same for this model, but you have both options of being able to create a new (extended) wifi network and also just extend your existing network so you can keep using the same one.
Is there any advantage to creating a new Extended wifi network?
Also does it work well with 5ghz?

Thanks
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19627 posts
7009 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
In my experience range extenders are always a bad idea, a last resort, if you can't move your main AP to a better spot, and can't get a cable to a second location to wire in a second AP, you're probably better off using powerline ethernet instead of repeating wifi.

I mean, if you just want your stuff to show you a stronger signal strength sure... but performance is going to be bad.

That being said you can usually use these extenders in AP mode and you can pair them with powerline ethernet to get something better than repeating wireless.
Jul 15, 2017
360 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
escalade wrote: Is there any advantage to creating a new Extended wifi network?
Also does it work well with 5ghz?

Thanks
I have much better results using the new extended wifi network, as in my townhouse complex the wifi is horrible in my room downstairs since the router is upstairs. Experience may vary for you, as for me I benefit with a faster connection with the new extended one opposed to the extending the existing one.

Definitely works well for 5ghz, done numerous speed tests on different devices comparing it to the regular 2.4 (extended) networks and speeds were higher.

However I can't speak for this model as this is still in regards to the AC1900 model. I'm sure these two models perform similarly and have relative features but don't take my word as I don't have this one myself. Wouldn't be disappointed though since Netgear products do me well.