Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Amazon - Deal of the Day - Netgear Nighthawk X4 AC2200 Wifi Extender - $129.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2018 10:04 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
1546 posts
871 upvotes
This is not your typical extender. A typical extender loses half your speed. This extender is probably more like their Orbi.

This is awesome for people that cannot hardwire an Access Point.

Does anybody know if these need to connect to the router directly or can you daisy chain off another extender (if you bought 2 of these). I know the Orbi used to be only able to connect to the router, but you can daisy chain the Orbi now.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10596 posts
2978 upvotes
Winnipeg
ktkn wrote: This is not your typical extender. A typical extender loses half your speed. This extender is probably more like their Orbi.

This is awesome for people that cannot hardwire an Access Point.

Does anybody know if these need to connect to the router directly or can you daisy chain off another extender (if you bought 2 of these). I know the Orbi used to be only able to connect to the router, but you can daisy chain the Orbi now.
its only going to be as good as the wifi point of origin if its wireless repeating. Then it divided by a half for its ac back haul since its not a triband repeater like the orbi is.

Now lets put this into perspective. For its actual ac max rating. that means 160mhz=not happening unless very close and it can't use a different channel if its repeating that channel band since it only has one transmitter. That means it has to default to the connection of clients ac rate if repeating ac. So 160mhz isn't happening with pretty much most hand helds and only having one band to chose any way.

So back that to say 80mhz max in real world. So its mostly an ac 1200 with a higher qam 2.4ghz and an amplifier. Now it gets fuzzy because if your main is powerful with 2.4ghz make sure it doesn't use the same channel as the repeater or things will be overall worse. I find the best scenario is auto for repeaters, but if you want to tweak. Then position furthest from main for best ac rate backhaul. Put 2.4ghz on a non competing channel than used on main.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
1546 posts
871 upvotes
lead wrote: its only going to be as good as the wifi point of origin if its wireless repeating. Then it divided by a half for its ac back haul since its not a triband repeater like the orbi is.

Now lets put this into perspective. For its actual ac max rating. that means 160mhz=not happening unless very close and it can't use a different channel if its repeating that channel band since it only has one transmitter. That means it has to default to the connection of clients ac rate if repeating ac. So 160mhz isn't happening with pretty much most hand helds and only having one band to chose any way.

So back that to say 80mhz max in real world. So its mostly an ac 1200 with a higher qam 2.4ghz and an amplifier. Now it gets fuzzy because if your main is powerful with 2.4ghz make sure it doesn't use the same channel as the repeater or things will be overall worse. I find the best scenario is auto for repeaters, but if you want to tweak. Then position furthest from main for best ac rate backhaul. Put 2.4ghz on a non competing channel than used on main.
Sorry, my bad.. I actually thought the OP listed this item:
https://www.netgear.com/home/products/n ... X7500.aspx