Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

AMAZON Echo Dot (3rd gen) - Smart speaker with Alexa $29.99 (4th gen $34.99) + BT smart bulb!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2021 11:29 am
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2011
11224 posts
21549 upvotes
darkhorz1 wrote: For someone new to Alexa, whats the difference between 3rd and 4th gen?
+1

;)

Seriously though, I would definitely go with Gen 4 with clock!

Something about these devices that don't display anything, makes them just look so plain.
Oct 16, 2012
7 posts
4 upvotes
Ancaster
Thanks! Ordered through Best Buy instead.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3306 upvotes
Out west
Great deal. The generation 4 does sound a bit better, but really these arent home stereo replacements, so is that a big issue?

I have both 3 and 4. 4 is in the bedroom as a clock and alarm, and works great for that

If I get anymore, I really have no where else to put them but bedrooms where the kids are, and they dont want them.

I will admit 2 years ago I was anti Alexa, listening in, etc. Now, I dont care. I love the fact you can have music everywhere in your house at the same time, or just individually.

Use the Flexs in the bathroom for music in the shower and getting ready. Even have a Gen 3 in the garage as well. The music aspect is the biggest thing I use. Ive listened to more music the last year then probably the last 10 just because its so easy to access

Wife was kinda against them for the smart features, but the turning on and off of lamps all at once for watching TV and movies, has definitly won her over

Great price
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
4033 posts
4442 upvotes
Muskoka
I still have one unopened in a box from the free SiriusXM promo a while back.

I put one out in the garage. It's perfect for background radio or Spotify while working on small projects. Sound quality is fine for that environment. Plus I can ask it what time it is if I don't want to reach for my phone with greasy hands.
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2020
1113 posts
3320 upvotes
The extra $10 for thé clock one is well worth it !
Nov 29, 2013
599 posts
925 upvotes
TORONTO
Mlj223 wrote: The extra $10 for thé clock one is well worth it !
Save yourself $10 and just ask Alexa what time is it
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3306 upvotes
Out west
cymrules wrote: Save yourself $10 and just ask Alexa what time is it
Not in the bedroom thanks. Waking up and seeing something visual is night and day comparison

Spend the $10 and save the headache
Oct 14, 2003
83 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto ON
Thanks OP. I grabbed a Gen 4.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2013
1230 posts
528 upvotes
Chambly, QC
JasonL11936 wrote: Does it spy on you or nah? Thinking Face
Only for the things you agree (on the conditions you didn’t read before accepting them!) Winking Face
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2013
1230 posts
528 upvotes
Chambly, QC
Stupid question: is it better than a Google voice 3?
Worth it to have both?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7820 posts
8507 upvotes
Vancouver
RobertRabbit wrote: Stupid question: is it better than a Google voice 3?
Worth it to have both?
Google has better general knowledge and is able to answer a broader range of questions with more accuracy. Alexa has opened up a broader range of functions with their 3rd-party Skills add-ons. There's no clear winner.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
1794 posts
261 upvotes
GVR
Worth it to have both?
Google is better at providing information but has no aux jack, bluetooth connection has remained an unsolved issue for the home and nest mini for 2 years. I find Echo dot
is better for smart home and media playback. Bluetooth connection is solid, has aux jack and the echo dot will remember volume level for the external speaker.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2002
1059 posts
432 upvotes
Anyone find the Alexa app limiting?

For example, if I want to set up a reminder to only announce on a specific group of devices (ie. only upstairs bedroom), I don't have the option to select a group of specific devices. It's either one device or ALL.

Likewise when playing music you can choose to either play on one specific device or Everywhere. I know there is groups that you can set up but seems like one device can only belong to one group.

And unless I'm mistaken, one device can only belong to one group so it's not like you can set up multiple groups using the same devices.
For example,
Upstairs Group - include devices: Bedroom1, Bedroom2 and Bedroom3
Downstairs Group - includes devices: Living Room, Kitchen, Garage
Entire Home Group - includes all of the above. In this case, if I already have the above 2 groups set up, I won't have any devices to select because those devices have already been set up in the other groups.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3941 posts
1389 upvotes
Belle River
Worth it to have both?
I usually tell people Google is smarter, it's better at answering questions for example, but Alexa is more fun with its Skills that include a games and funny stuff. For the first little while after getting an Echo we did enjoy some of those fun Skills, but years later I cannot even recall the last time I used any of them, or any Skill at all actually. I guess I'm a "simple" Echo user, 95% of the time I just use it for reminders and controlling lights, actually just one lamp :), but I'm sure other RFD'ers do a lot more with it. Now I'm thinking I should have a look at the Skills again, see what's new.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2016
5042 posts
6226 upvotes
dairymandip wrote: Pairing two gives a nice cheap alexa home theater.
How did you pull that off?
I once linked the Firestick to the Echo... never thought it be possible to link 2 dots to one source.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5195 posts
4946 upvotes
GTA
MahlerMusic wrote: Prices are great but lots of companies give those out for free when you sign up for things so Kijiji is full of them. If you really want them, get them cheap there.

Also I always unplug mine when I have my super Villain meetings, otherwise it can listen to my wife nag me all day long.Image
Doesn't matter what you do, it stays capacitor powered and can listen for hours after unplugging. You have to put it in the freezer for lower sound detection.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
9485 posts
2349 upvotes
My house is full of alexas and googles because I keep getting them free with other purchases. Every room has one or both lol
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5195 posts
4946 upvotes
GTA
KravenHead wrote: How did you pull that off?
I once linked the Firestick to the Echo... never thought it be possible to link 2 dots to one source.
You can link multiple Echos to play at the same time in one group, or pair 2 for left/right stereo sound. Also you can use them as intercom for 2 way communication - you are in the bedroom, wife is in the basement (time out) - you can talk and listen through echo dot speakers.