Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

AMAZON Echo Dot (3rd gen) - Smart speaker with Alexa $29.99 (4th gen $34.99) + BT smart bulb!

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2021 11:29 am
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7831 posts
8519 upvotes
Vancouver
There are weird differences between Google and Alexa. For example you can ask Alexa to "check email" to have it check your assigned GMail account, tell you how many messages there are, read the subjects and then for each one Read full message, Skip, or Reply by voice. Google can't check email at all, even its own Gmail.

And the Alexa Skills allow other companies to add certain features more easily than Google does. For example the Tidal music streaming service is not supported by Google, but it is supported by an Alexa Skill.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2003
1365 posts
607 upvotes
Toronto
We are a Alexa family here. two Firesticks + many echos and an Echo Show.

I also have Google Nest (the baby one)..... we much prefer Alexa for now even though it's a little concerning when Alexa starts doing random things in a silent room or starts singing a song while I'm hosting a virtual meeting.

Thanks for sharing OP!
Everyone has cool signatures with the stuffs they own listed... I'm in!!!
Walmart U.S. AT&T Group deal (kinda yay) + Freedom $19 plan for Nationwide calling 6gb data
Public Mobile $15 for 100 mins and 250MB Data X3
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23756 posts
8530 upvotes
bobbings wrote: My house is full of alexas and googles because I keep getting them free with other purchases. Every room has one or both lol
Yeah, I got those Lenovos when they went on clearance at Walmart. I only use one in my downstairs living room. I never used the camera on it. I have the Google minis and Hubs but never used many of them. They make good gifts though. Some people seem skeptical but with the Lenovos you can turn off the mike and the camera if you need absolute privacy...but then, why have them at all? Nice that I can call up the security cameras and have all of them display on the same screen. There are other programs for linking commands but I've never used them. I should look into that as there are several occasions when being able to do so would be a blessing, especially after a power failure and all the lights need to be turned off. Could do it with one command...
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12132 posts
7316 upvotes
Paris
Scote64 wrote: like our local news radio station runs a Rogers ad that says "ask Alexa to contact SportsNet Trivia!", which any Echo unit in the vicinity promptly does.
Like sirens on a radio station. I am mostly google home, but Alexa does a few things Google wont. I swear googles that cant hear me respond to the f-ing television.
Sr. Member
Nov 20, 2009
826 posts
790 upvotes
Amazon chat rep offered 15% off Echo 4th Gen, and I took the offer.
Sr. Member
Nov 20, 2009
826 posts
790 upvotes
zjwffff wrote: Hope 4th echo could be done with better price....
Chat with an Amazon rep. I got 15% off current sale price.
Sr. Member
Nov 20, 2009
826 posts
790 upvotes
MahlerMusic wrote: Prices are great but lots of companies give those out for free when you sign up for things so Kijiji is full of them. If you really want them, get them cheap there.

Also I always unplug mine when I have my super Villain meetings, otherwise it can listen to my wife nag me all day long.Image
Many of them are sold for less than full retail price but not that cheaper than sale price. I think it is better to buy from Amazon considering gas and my labour...
Newbie
Jun 23, 2020
63 posts
12 upvotes
The Echo Studio is also on sale at the best buy for $199.99, not sure why Amazon.ca is not.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2020
1082 posts
1119 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: Only by accident. The recognition of the trigger word ("Alexa") is local, and it doesn't send anything to Amazon for processing until it hears the trigger word. That can happen accidentally - in one famous case an Echo was triggered accidentally during a conversation where two people were discussing an employee, and Alexa somehow interpreted it as a command to send a voice message of their conversation to that employee. Ouch! And there's annoying deliberate triggers, like our local news radio station runs a Rogers ad that says "ask Alexa to contact SportsNet Trivia!", which any Echo unit in the vicinity promptly does.

The main privacy concern is that Amazon keeps transcripts af everything you've ever said to Alexa, and while you can erase the recordings, there's no way to erase the transcripts. "Alexa, what's the quickest-acting poison?", "Alexa what's this strange purple rash on my butt?" etc.
Reminds me.. I was watching an old episode of South Park (DVR is recoding as many as possible) and it was the Alexa/Google Home one.. lol..
Cartman sets up like 30 of them (+ Siri) in his bedroom and is like "Alexa, Simon says ask Siri to Ok Google the search results of buttmunch diarrhea to my phone" or whatever (was much better than that...). Anyways, sure enough, my Google in my living room responds as does the Alexa one room over.... :P
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3306 upvotes
Out west
Scote64 wrote: Only by accident. The recognition of the trigger word ("Alexa") is local, and it doesn't send anything to Amazon for processing until it hears the trigger word. That can happen accidentally - in one famous case an Echo was triggered accidentally during a conversation where two people were discussing an employee, and Alexa somehow interpreted it as a command to send a voice message of their conversation to that employee. Ouch! And there's annoying deliberate triggers, like our local news radio station runs a Rogers ad that says "ask Alexa to contact SportsNet Trivia!", which any Echo unit in the vicinity promptly does.

The main privacy concern is that Amazon keeps transcripts af everything you've ever said to Alexa, and while you can erase the recordings, there's no way to erase the transcripts. "Alexa, what's the quickest-acting poison?", "Alexa what's this strange purple rash on my butt?" etc.
I changed all the wake words from Alexa to Echo. They now have Ziggy as well as a wake word.

Ive never noticed it get turned on accidently using the word Echo. with Alexa I did due to random stories on the news, the radio, etc
Last edited by WikkiWikki on Aug 16th, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
7052 posts
4903 upvotes
Ottawa
I wish it were nest.
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 24, 2019
947 posts
1760 upvotes
Edmonton
DasHip wrote: Reminds me.. I was watching an old episode of South Park (DVR is recoding as many as possible) and it was the Alexa/Google Home one.. lol..
Cartman sets up like 30 of them (+ Siri) in his bedroom and is like "Alexa, Simon says ask Siri to Ok Google the search results of buttmunch diarrhea to my phone" or whatever (was much better than that...). Anyways, sure enough, my Google in my living room responds as does the Alexa one room over.... :P
Image
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 8, 2008
1692 posts
360 upvotes
Can you hook up a dot or echo to a receiver on AUX? I have a receiver tthat doesn’t have anything hooked up to it. But would love a dot hooked up so I can power up the receiver and ask Alexa to play music when I want.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 29, 2007
5612 posts
5339 upvotes
No Bum Deals
It looks like Jeff is trying to put a few more $ in the coffers before taking on NASA.
. 🢂 4x Telus Endless 25GB - Shared Pool 100GB [$30] | 2x CAN-US 200min [$0] | 5x CAN-US PoM Tablet+Data [$0] | 1x PoM Watch Cellular [$0] 🢀
🢂
Bodgers Business Grade 500u 3yr [$50] 🢀
Sr. Member
Apr 26, 2019
561 posts
727 upvotes
chandans wrote: Can you hook up a dot or echo to a receiver on AUX? I have a receiver tthat doesn’t have anything hooked up to it. But would love a dot hooked up so I can power up the receiver and ask Alexa to play music when I want.
You sure can, I have two that are set up this way - Alexa listens to your commands and then plays audio through the speakers connected to your receiver.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2006
1704 posts
829 upvotes
KravenHead wrote: How did you pull that off?
I once linked the Firestick to the Echo... never thought it be possible to link 2 dots to one source.
Connect your Fire TV and Echo to the same network through one Amazon account
In the Alexa app, tap Devices and then the '+' icon.
Select Combine speakers from the pop-up.
Tap Home cinema on the next screen.
Pick your Fire TV device and tap Next to name your Home Theatre system.
Select the Echo speakers you would like to use in your setup.
Follow the on-screen instructions


Image

My cheap home theatre in my bedroom
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2003
5288 posts
2999 upvotes
A Place to Stand
Cannot understand the downvotes, these things are awesome. Way prefer these over the Google ecosystem of which I have several. Great sound, great features (relatively of course). Thanks OP, bought 2 more.
Newbie
Oct 7, 2018
75 posts
61 upvotes
is it possible for the echo to work with chromecast? our tv is a chromecast enabled smarttv and ahve been using nest for a while but i've been thinking of switching over to the echo for tighter integration with ring

ie: it's been nice to say "ok google play x on the tv"
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
7052 posts
4903 upvotes
Ottawa
pachimari04 wrote: is it possible for the echo to work with chromecast? our tv is a chromecast enabled smarttv and ahve been using nest for a while but i've been thinking of switching over to the echo for tighter integration with ring

ie: it's been nice to say "ok google play x on the tv"
When you go nest, always nest, switch ring with nest hello. :)
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.

Top