[Amazon.ca] Amazon eero mesh wifi system (dual-band, 2019 model) - $244.00

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2020 9:16 pm
[OP]
Nov 8, 2008
402 posts
432 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Amazon eero mesh wifi system (dual-band, 2019 model) - $244.00

Amazon.ca has their 3-pack eero mesh wifi system for $244.00. That's $19.00 higher than their all-time-low of $225.00, but still a solid price for this router - that's in spitting range with similar units from TP-Link and D-Link. This is the dual-band model (no dedicated wireless backhaul - you have to go to the eero pro for that) so keep that in mind in terms of the performance you can expect. Eero's system is one of the most solidly reviewed; it doesn't offer the fastest theoretical speeds, but they seem to have a reputation for stability and consistent updates.

Compared to the Google Nest Wifi, you're getting 3 points at a lower price. The Nest Wifi's router is better, but overall they are both dual-band systems. The Nest Wifi Points no longer have ethernet ports, which in my opinion is a big omission.
Last edited by carsncars on Jan 20th, 2020 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
71 replies
Mar 24, 2015
337 posts
182 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Heard good things about these from a buddy.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14540 posts
2151 upvotes
Toronto
I love my eero system. I've been using it for almost two years now and it's still rock solid.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4157 posts
2260 upvotes
Edmonton
I assume you can still do a wired backhaul since they have two ethernet ports? Also direct link to amazon

The one thing I don't like about the Nest Wi-Fi is that there is no wired backhaul. I prefer wired backhaul and since most newer homes use CAT5 cables to run phone ports, converting them to Ethernet is super quick and easy.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
[OP]
Nov 8, 2008
402 posts
432 upvotes
fatestkid wrote: I assume you can still do a wired backhaul since they have two ethernet ports? Also direct link to amazon

The one thing I don't like about the Nest Wi-Fi is that there is no wired backhaul. I prefer wired backhaul and since most newer homes use CAT5 cables to run phone ports, converting them to Ethernet is super quick and easy.
Yes, you can do wired backhaul with these eero units, and the ethernet port is gigabit (some of the low-end mesh units only have 10/100 ethernet ports). FWIW, these are also compatible with eero pro units - if you later decide to upgrade, these can still be used with the mesh.

Agreed, the omission of ethernet ports on the Nest Wifi made me rule that out - otherwise I'd probably already have the Nest routers. (a) not being able to connect devices to a satellite node via ethernet and (b) no ability to later use wired ethernet backhaul are big negative points to me. I considered buying the older Google Wifi routers but couldn't bring myself to spend $300 on a 3-year-old product.
Feb 3, 2019
19 posts
27 upvotes
fatestkid wrote: I assume you can still do a wired backhaul since they have two ethernet ports? Also direct link to amazon

Yes. I bought this system during Black Friday and it has absolutely been the best network related purchase I have ever made. My house is covered with wired connections so that compensated for the main weakness of this system.

I have 300/300 and I get that speed throughout my house wirelessly without any dead spots. I used to have a dual access point setup and wireless handoff between the access points was terrible. With this mesh system it’s seamless.

Even better, I think the eero software is second to none. Ridiculously simple to use but also very informative, with push notifications sent to your phone whenever a new device connects to your network. And sharing access through a QR code is so seamless too.
Sep 1, 2018
37 posts
47 upvotes
Ajackson55555 wrote: Yes. I bought this system during Black Friday and it has absolutely been the best network related purchase I have ever made. My house is covered with wired connections so that compensated for the main weakness of this system.

I have 300/300 and I get that speed throughout my house wirelessly without any dead spots. I used to have a dual access point setup and wireless handoff between the access points was terrible. With this mesh system it’s seamless.

Even better, I think the eero software is second to none. Ridiculously simple to use but also very informative, with push notifications sent to your phone whenever a new device connects to your network. And sharing access through a QR code is so seamless too.
I only tried Google wi-fi so far so I can't talk for eero or other mesh systems.

Would you say Amazon updates faster and/or more frequently their app than Google does ?
Would you say Amazon is more "future proof" than Google ?

Thanks!
[OP]
Nov 8, 2008
402 posts
432 upvotes
LaurentD88313 wrote: I only tried Google wi-fi so far so I can't talk for eero or other mesh systems.

Would you say Amazon updates faster and/or more frequently their app than Google does ?

Thanks!
Not the user you're quoting but I did a lot of research on this as I was worried on the reliance on the cloud.

Both Eero and Google seem to be pretty on-the-ball with security updates and features, especially compared to some competitors (Orbi, TP-Link). Both seem to have solid apps with good experiences, although I think I marginally prefer Google's.

Hardware-wise, they're about on-par in terms of performance. Both Eero and Google have good records of supporting older hardware going forward.

Eero's customer service seems to be a step above Google's. They're very responsive on social media (reddit) as well.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1669 posts
1266 upvotes
Waterloo
Whats the speed on this? The amazon page is pretty vague. It says best for up to 350mbps. I have gigabit and on my Decos M5, I can get 450 on wifi anywhere in the house. Would the Eeros be slower?
Jul 10, 2013
80 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
Does Eero App allow remote management of devices using network data?

Amazon link claims "Manage your network from anywhere" but I don't see screenshots allowing certain devices to be throttled / cut off.

My Google WiFi has been rock solid for 2+ years but also doesn't have this option of kicking devices off.

Basically we want to keep the cottage connected (Nest, etc..) but the internet is expensive (Mobile Wireless).
Oct 16, 2018
36 posts
124 upvotes
LaurentD88313 wrote: I only tried Google wi-fi so far so I can't talk for eero or other mesh systems.

Thanks!
Would you by any chance know what's the speed if I connect direct to router ?

I have power lines setup at home will this work ? I do not see two slots for ethernet just seem to have one which connects from main router to this system.

Tempted but not sure yet ...
May 10, 2006
524 posts
109 upvotes
YYC
Can anyone comment on if you can manually set the 5ghz channels and widths on the Eero? I had to return the Orbi I got from Costco because the only available 5ghz channel options were interfering with some of my existing devices, there was no width config.
Jun 17, 2019
31 posts
102 upvotes
Sicklyslick wrote: Whats the speed on this? The amazon page is pretty vague. It says best for up to 350mbps. I have gigabit and on my Decos M5, I can get 450 on wifi anywhere in the house. Would the Eeros be slower?
eero says you're looking at about 240Mbps at 2.4 GHz and about 600Mbps at 5 GHz.
Jun 17, 2019
31 posts
102 upvotes
FTO wrote: Can anyone comment on if you can manually set the 5ghz channels and widths on the Eero? I had to return the Orbi I got from Costco because the only available 5ghz channel options were interfering with some of my existing devices, there was no width config.
There's no manual channel selection, but the eeros smartly channel hop to avoid congestion. One of the eero devs posted more information on Reddit here.
Aug 23, 2019
206 posts
133 upvotes
$300 for three dual band APs ... yikes.

you're better off with an Asus mesh and expand from there... or do a proper mesh using Unifi or TPlink APs