• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2020 2:35 am
[OP]
Nov 22, 2012
14 posts
10 upvotes
RICHMOND

[Amazon.ca] Amazon Fire HD 8 - $89.00

Price drop on the Amazon Fire HD 8 (2020 version). $109.99 to $89.99 (matches all time low).

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07WFKKN55
26 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4070 posts
4157 upvotes
Vancouver
Good to see the price drop if you need a new tablet right now, but generally the best prices are during Amazon Prime Days. The previous-gen Fire HD 8 dropped as low as $50 at one point last year, and it was $60 during Amazon Prime Days. This version is relatively new and more capable, so might not go as low this year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see $70 or $80 before the end of the year.

If you aren't fully familiar with the Fire tablets, FireOS is sort-of Android but not quite. It is based on a version of Android (FireOS 7 is Android 9), but with some Google components missing and some minor compatibility issues. You can install the Google Play Store and some missing Google components afterwards - see the Fire Toolbox for the easy way. But you will run into quirks with some apps. For example Google Cast for video is disabled and cannot be added, even if you side-load apps. FireOS does get minor updates, but the base Android version on the tablet (in this case Android 9) will never be updated.

It's the best value-for-money in tablets, but make sure the modest performance and FireOS limitations are ok for you.
Last edited by Scote64 on Aug 29th, 2020 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1774 posts
1335 upvotes
Not all time low ... just regular discount of $20. Same discounted price with staples/Bureau En Gros/SDM/Pharmaprix this weekend.
Wait for coming Amazon Prime day.
For those can't wait, it is much better with SDM/Pharmaprix using 20x PCO coupon or with Staples if you get $10 off $50 coupon plus 1% Rakuten for online purchases
A QUIET MAN IS A THINKING MAN.
A QUIET WOMAN IS A DANGEROUS WOMAN

My Missus said " I don't tell you how to spend your $$, Don't tell me how to spend your $$."
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1412 posts
367 upvotes
Bedford
Baconator wrote: Will this thing work for Web browsing, online shopping, streaming, angry birds etc?
Yes it will. The Fire 10 however, is much better when on sale. We picked one up with staples coupons over the winter and have been very pleased.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2005
1199 posts
987 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: Good to see the price drop if you need a new tablet right now, but generally the best prices are during Amazon Prime Days.
When do these usually happen?
Jul 31, 2015
485 posts
250 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Probably the most used tablet in our home. We got the previous gen Fire HD 8 on sale at $50 during Amazon Prime Days.
Jun 30, 2016
180 posts
114 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Would you recommend getting the 64GB version or is it fairly easy to use the external microSD card storage? My experience from Android 5/6 days wasn't very encouraging in this regard.
Feb 9, 2015
16 posts
9 upvotes
Laurentians, Quebec.
I would not recommend these. They suck. Slow bogged down ******** tablets. By the time you get it working right it will be obsolete. Just buy a china off brand tablet for same price and will stomp this junk. Lots and lots of problems with Canadian residents. Everything from Alexa to audible not really working proper. No casting to devices other then Fire Tv's either. They are a real drag and disappointment. In my opinion you can't really take advantage of the amazon software unless you actually have a amazon.com account. You will be pulling your hair out trying to figure stuff out. Hard to root. Lots of 3rd party apps and tools needed to get basic stuff on it from the play store. Lots and lots of " This app is not compatible with your device" warnings. They are alright for kids and they take a beating though. So there is always that. Amazon does live up to their warranty to. That said I would never buy another Fire os device until the day I die. Or I moved to the USA. This is not ready for Canada customers in my opinion.

Plus Prime day is coming this fall. These will be deeply discounted most likely like every prime day. I would wait until October. Buying a Fire tablet at a high price is asking for regret. These things go on major sale every few months.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
1393 posts
758 upvotes
Bananacat wrote: I would not recommend these. They suck. Slow bogged down ******** tablets. By the time you get it working right it will be obsolete. Just buy a china off brand tablet for same price and will stomp this junk. Lots and lots of problems with Canadian residents. Everything from Alexa to audible not really working proper. No casting to devices other then Fire Tv's either. They are a real drag and disappointment. In my opinion you can't really take advantage of the amazon software unless you actually have a amazon.com account. You will be pulling your hair out trying to figure stuff out. Hard to root. Lots of 3rd party apps and tools needed to get basic stuff on it from the play store. Lots and lots of " This app is not compatible with your device" warnings. They are alright for kids and they take a beating though. So there is always that. Amazon does live up to their warranty to. That said I would never buy another Fire os device until the day I die. Or I moved to the USA. This is not ready for Canada customers in my opinion.

Plus Prime day is coming this fall. These will be deeply discounted most likely like every prime day. I would wait until October. Buying a Fire tablet at a high price is asking for regret. These things go on major sale every few months.
Build quality will be better than equivalent priced china-branded tablets. Other than that, completely agree with what you said. Having said that, my kids uses these and are perfect for younger kids. Also, they are perfect for "dedicated use" applications, like if you wanted to use one specifically to answer your video doorbell for example... the 7" version, although far inferior in terms of performance is even better for dedicated use applications, especially at coming in at $29 USD on sale.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2213 posts
850 upvotes
Hometown
I got 2 of the last generation tablets for 92.00 ish all in, from BestBuy.

Are they the best best tablet available? NO. Were they good value for the money. NO. They were FANTASTICALLY GREAT value for the money. Why you ask?

I got them at the start of the lockdown. I was able to use one to have countless video meetings via Facebook messenger, with my Mom who is long term care. (She does not have a cellphone) She has an Amazon HD 10 and a laptop. The tablet is much easier for her to use. She also able to show me what was happening when her laptop died with the help of a staff member. So I knew I had to get her a new laptop....

In addition to using mine for video chats. I use it as a pretty much dedicated ereader. (is it the best screen for that) NO, but other ereaders also don't allow you to answer an email, check the weather, watch a video. See what sales you missed on this site.....

Also since the lockdown, I have switched to the Amazon 8" HD from my HD 10" for watching downloaded TV content, while I wait in the car at the laundromat. It just fits on the dash of the car better. Even better while I am waiting outside the hospital, for a family member to have cancer treatments, it gets the hospital's wifi to be able to things on the net.

As for them not casting to a TV other than a fire TV. I can cast Youtube from either Amazon tablet to my Hisense ROKU TV. With no issue at all, after installing google home. I have been told it is not casting capable by the many experts on here and it is using something else.... Blah Blah Blah. I start watching a Youtube video on my tablet and want a bigger resolution so I cast it to my TV and it WORKS. All the time EVERY TIME I try it. So for those that insist it does not work... I think the issue lies with the user to touch pad interface rather than the tablet not being able to cast to a ROKU TV.

The second tablet I gifted to a family member who is wheelchair bound and does not have a cellphone or a computer camera. So they could video chat with their parents, out of province siblings and friends. Having that ability for them is PRICELESS...

So yeah all the naysayers are right, they are NOT ipads but to be fair they often cost less than half the price of an apple ipad case and screen protector when on sale. They do have many issues and will not win many speed tests....

They are also dirt cheap, highly utile for simple tasks, child and older person resistant to drops and WILL even withstand smacking a fly. Also they are easily replaceable and on sale somewhere almost all the time. Which is good if the resident klepto happens to make off with a family members tablet in their long term care home. The next day you can have one, set up and back in your family member's hands....
May 27, 2012
195 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
They are good for
Netflix or YouTube or recipe only
Forget apps

Ideal uses:
Kids YouTube
Car rear seat tablet
GPS????? PLease confirm
Kitchen tablet with calendar, recipes, Spotify

If u want to do more then better buy Samsung from Kijiji
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4070 posts
4157 upvotes
Vancouver
adnanakhtar wrote: They are good for
Netflix or YouTube or recipe only
Forget apps
That's a bit extreme. About 80% of Android apps work fine on the Fire tablets, whether from the Amazon app store, the Google Play Store, or side-loaded. About 10% have compatibility issues, and another 10% require high performance that you aren't going to get in a low-priced tablet to run smoothly.
Jun 4, 2011
210 posts
62 upvotes
BRAMPTON
baillieul wrote: Yes it will. The Fire 10 however, is much better when on sale. We picked one up with staples coupons over the winter and have been very pleased.
If you can, definitely wait for the Kindle Fire HD 2019 edition to go on sale. I bought mine for $179 (or maybe even $149) last Christmas - at the time, I was considering this and the Galaxy Tab A. The tablet experience out of the box is "Meh", but if your tech savvy (or don't mind learning something new), you can go on XDA forums and find out how to revert the Kindle back to stock android. Once I did that, it was amazing - the internals are even better than the TAB A (higher antutu and geekbench scores). Honestly it was the best money I ever spent on a tablet (from a value perspective).

I also have the 2018 version of the Fire Tab 8 (which can also be reverted back to stock android), but it is woefully underpowered and really only good as an e-reader. The 2020 version apparently uses the same CPU, but at a higher frequency, so I am still skeptical about its performance in day to day tasks.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1307 posts
201 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Any Idea if this have GPS for waze?
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4224 posts
614 upvotes
Toronto
Focus wrote: Any Idea if this have GPS for waze?
It doesn’t have GPS.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go