Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Amazon Fire TV 4-Series 4K UHD smart TV - 43” $370/50” $470/55” $490 - Omni Series tv various sizes from $410 to $1230

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2022 7:41 pm
Oct 16, 2011
105 posts
88 upvotes
I bought the 43” omni as well. I really like it but I have a gripe. When you turn the tv on (Alexa, turn the tv on) it always goes to the fire os Home Screen. I checked thoroughly and there’s no option to set default input on this model. The only way to turn on the tv into hdmi is to say “Alexa, hdmi 1”. Then this will turn the tv on and to that input.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25150 posts
21602 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
hhp021 wrote: I bought the 43” omni as well. I really like it but I have a gripe. When you turn the tv on (Alexa, turn the tv on) it always goes to the fire os Home Screen. I checked thoroughly and there’s no option to set default input on this model. The only way to turn on the tv into hdmi is to say “Alexa, hdmi 1”. Then this will turn the tv on and to that input.
Is that unique to Amazon TVs? Do other "smart" TVs do similarly annoying stuff?

I'm looking at upgrading an old "dumb" TV. I intend to use it with my NVIDIA Shield rather than with any built-in "smart" features. Is there some way of determining what sorts of such annoyances to expect before buying the TV?
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 16, 2011
105 posts
88 upvotes
bylo wrote: Is that unique to Amazon TVs? Do other "smart" TVs do similarly annoying stuff?

I'm looking at upgrading an old "dumb" TV. I intend to use it with my NVIDIA Shield rather than with any built-in "smart" features. Is there some way of determining what sorts of such annoyances to expect before buying the TV?

Yes Amazon wants you to view their fire OS Home Screen every single time. Apparently an older fire tv model allowed you to select the default input but not this particular model.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4739 posts
1643 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
bylo wrote: Is that unique to Amazon TVs? Do other "smart" TVs do similarly annoying stuff?

I bought couple of cheap big screen TV's last year (2020) and I'm almost positive the Roku (55" worked out to $160 + tax) can be set to go to the last used input and the other TV a Bolva (58" worked out to $220 + tax), automatically goes back to the last used input when turned on. If you're in TV (antenna) mode the Bolva will switch to the Fire TV stick if I press the play button on the Fire TV remote. The Bolva remote can also operate the Fire TV interface. I think those Amazon TV's are unusual in that respect.

Lower end TV's like those sold through Loblaws brand stores were much cheaper in 2020 than 2021. About 1/2 the price, maybe even less. No idea what happened with prices for higher end model TV's as I didn't follow them and couldn't use up accumulated points on them. Best value for low end TV's in 2020 was through the Loblaws empire.
Apr 22, 2020
9 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
hhp021 wrote: I bought the 43” omni as well. I really like it but I have a gripe. When you turn the tv on (Alexa, turn the tv on) it always goes to the fire os Home Screen. I checked thoroughly and there’s no option to set default input on this model. The only way to turn on the tv into hdmi is to say “Alexa, hdmi 1”. Then this will turn the tv on and to that input.
You can change this by going to setting from the home screen, selecting Display & Audio, then Power Controls, Power On, then changing the selection from Home to Last Input.

Not sure why everyone is talking down about the TV. I have the 50" Omni. I got for $450 - Tax. Everything has been great for the few weeks I've had it. Display and audio setting can be changed from within each input or app individually.

Is it the best TV out there? No. But is it a $450 TV? I would say absolutely, but to each their own.
Oct 16, 2011
105 posts
88 upvotes
Thanks!! Was looking everywhere for this!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)