[Amazon.ca] (Amazon) Food Saver Game Saver vacuum sealer

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2019 8:01 pm
[OP]
Jan 3, 2019
14 posts
17 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] (Amazon) Food Saver Game Saver vacuum sealer

I posted this as comment in the thread on the sale of the one gallon food saver bags, as someone was looking for a deal on a vac. sealer. It doesn't show as X% off on the site but I double checked CCC for the history and only the 3rd time in the last 18 months it's been below $125. It's a beast for multiple seals in a short period, ie. brownies. The only other one that I've used for any length of time needed a cool down period after two or three seals.

I picked this up in 2017 after ordering one of their fancier models. I had previously used a basic food saver and was often delayed waiting for the cool down period. With the fancier models (V4400) it was brutal to use as it was very finicky with the auto bag detect. I returned it to amazon and found the game saver on for $159, regular $179. In 2018 I saw it on sale in a local Coop flyer for $159.

This summer my parents wanted to borrow mine to freeze some garden fresh berries. After using it they asked that I find and buy one for them. I checked Amazon and my model, the one linked above, was still at $179. A quick check on CCC showed it had gone on sale twice in the last year at $117! So I figured I'd wait it out and sure enough within a couple of weeks it went on sale for $117+change. So the above price of $119 is hot deal for this model, you won't be disappointed.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1520 posts
855 upvotes
You can buy a China sealer on eBay for as low at 3$. (The same ones they sell on amazon). If you're worried about the cooldown time, buy multiple sealers...

A bought a 15$ one not too long ago, and it came within 2 weeks. Works perfectly fine with foodsaver bags.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Food-Vacuum-Sea ... 5694387001 (price went up, but I spent 11$ USD on this a few weeks ago)
Last edited by PerformingAzura on Aug 13th, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4613 posts
6335 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
PerformingAzura wrote: You can buy a China sealer on eBay for as low at 3$. (The same ones they sell on amazon). If you're worried about the cooldown time, buy multiple sealers...

A bought a 15$ one not too long ago, and it came within 2 weeks. Works perfectly fine with foodsaver bags.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Food-Vacuum-Sea ... 5694387001 (paid went up, but I spent 11$ USD on this)
Thanks. The one you linked seems more powerful than the generic one I got from Amazon, which look like these: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vacuum-Sealer-F ... 2907877436

Those should be avoided, especially considering the shipping time.

How does yours work? Good suction power?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27781 posts
13379 upvotes
I mean... it's a whole different realm and the startup cost is about 10x what OP's price is (including years worth of bags) but consider a Chamber sealer.
Startup cost is about $1000 including 2000 bags but the cost per item sealed is significantly cheaper.

It's hands down the best thing I've ever bought for my kitchen. If I broke it today, I'd be ordering a replacement today.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
2415 posts
1192 upvotes
Vancouver
Can I seal my iPad?
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3357 posts
4128 upvotes
Oakville
danned wrote: Can I seal my iPad?
Can I steal his iPad?
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1444 posts
1597 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I mean... it's a whole different realm and the startup cost is about 10x what OP's price is (including years worth of bags) but consider a Chamber sealer.
Startup cost is about $1000 including 2000 bags but the cost per item sealed is significantly cheaper.

It's hands down the best thing I've ever bought for my kitchen. If I broke it today, I'd be ordering a replacement today.
The size of that thing just to seal food... interesting. Mind a few questions?

What is the benefit over the regular sealer aside from cost?

How is the cost per item being significantly cheaper? From what I see here cost per item is only maybe a dozen cents for a regular vacuum sealer and the Chamber Pouches doesn't look to be hugely cheaper, Maybe about half the price? It is hard to calculate since the two use fundamentally different measurement. It appears to be $40 / 1000 vs $20 / 200~. A big differences, but you would have to seal thousands upon thousands of item to begin to make up the initial investment.
Dec 17, 2017
270 posts
194 upvotes
I was thinking of VacMasters too...where did you see it for 1K?

I've been trying to comb those liquidation/bankruptcy restaurant auctions locally but no luck. I also find at these auctions, people overpay for shit cause they worked up in a bid frenzy.
death_hawk wrote: I mean... it's a whole different realm and the startup cost is about 10x what OP's price is (including years worth of bags) but consider a Chamber sealer.

Dec 17, 2017
270 posts
194 upvotes
One HUGE benefit is you can vacuum seal liquids. This would be good for doing meat marinades.

Super practical? Not sure, but who cares at that point. The bragging right is that you can.
Cucumference wrote: The size of that thing just to seal food... interesting. Mind a few questions?

How is the cost per item being significantly cheaper? From what I see here cost per item is only maybe a dozen cents for a regular vacuum sealer and the Chamber Pouches doesn't look to be hugely cheaper, Maybe about half the price? It is hard to calculate since the two use fundamentally different measurement. It appears to be $40 / 1000 vs $20 / 200~. A big differences, but you would have to seal thousands upon thousands of item to begin to make up the initial investment.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27781 posts
13379 upvotes
Cucumference wrote: The size of that thing just to seal food... interesting.
Yeah it's huge. It's also stupidly heavy so it's living on your counter.
The smallest one I can find is close to 50lbs. The replacement I have for it is closer to 150lbs.
Mind a few questions?

Please!
Cost is definitely the biggest one.
It can technically seal liquids, but it's a bit more work and sometimes makes a mess so I don't really recommend it.
Number of operations I would also give it since with premade bags it's one with a chamber vs with a sucker type and rolls it's upwards of 6 (since they leak for me).
The vacuum is also more powerful, but the downside to this is that you have a finite amount of space to work with. I can't for example seal a whole fish whereas a Foodsaver can.
It is only a dozen cents actually. I think the biggest spread was like $0.25.
Doesn't sound like much, but when you consider the cost of food saved it can REALLY add up.
I went from using my Foodsaver on average about once a week to using my chamber on average about twice a day. (Not daily since I'd do something big which requires 14 bags in a week as an example, like breaking down a whole prime rib or something)

As an example, I've sealed $1 worth of nuts before in a 6x10 bag. Cost of bag was $0.08. The same cost of bag in a Foodsaver was something like $0.25.
Is it worth spending 1/4 of the price of the product to keep it fresh? At $0.08 I personally thought so. But $0.25? Maybe not.
But if those nuts spoil, you're now out $1 worth of nuts too which I'd "count" against the cost of startup.
If you add up these costs, you can easily cover the cost of the machine by buying in bulk because you throw much less away.

I've covered quite a lot of things in this post too, including more math:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/viewtop ... p=26942565

But if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
Dec 17, 2017
270 posts
194 upvotes
On a more serious note, the HUGE time saver benefit is you don't have to freeze your meats before vacuuming since you don't have to worry about juices leaking into the chamber. Great time saver.

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27781 posts
13379 upvotes
aphextwin wrote: I was thinking of VacMasters too...where did you see it for 1K?
Webstaurant has it for $600USD plus $50 shipping (how this is possible I have no idea since the damn thing is like 70lbs dimensionally) which works out to about $850.
Toss on a few thousand bags and you're basically out the door for $1000.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP I just looked up some of my old threads and it was apparently $450USD a couple years ago. Man that's jumped up in price.
But shipping seems to have come down by $100 so it somewhat balances out.
I've been trying to comb those liquidation/bankruptcy restaurant auctions locally but no luck. I also find at these auctions, people overpay for shit cause they worked up in a bid frenzy.
That's why I love auctions. Mostly for the entertainment value. I love watching people pay more than retail for scratch and dent goods.
That said, I got a used Berkel 350D for $1500. The thing retails for like $10k.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27781 posts
13379 upvotes
If anyone is crazy enough to actually consider this, here's what I'd recommend for a "starter kit":

It includes the bags that I personally think are best suited for general usage at home.
I shipped to a random residential postal code in Vancouver so your shipping costs may vary a bit.

After FX, it comes out to pretty much exactly $1000. You will have to pay taxes (and probably paperwork since I don't know who they ship with) so keep that in mind.

If you want to invest in the long term, pick up another 1000 of the 6x12 bags. Those are easily my most frequently used ones.
I actually went from 12x14 to 12x16 because I could use the extra 2" because I frequently stuff 2 racks of ribs in and that 2" would be wonderful.
12x14 is a touch cheaper (but you have to buy 1000)

$1000 is a tough pill to swallow for pretty much everyone, but I guarantee you that you will make it back.
I barely toss anything due to spoilage any more and can take advantage of buying in bulk even though I'm a household of 1.
Dec 17, 2017
270 posts
194 upvotes
Damn son, that's a good deal!!! Hmm now you got me thinking if I should buy one once I use up my regular vacuum sealer bags...should I move one step up for a metal lid.

Where do you buy your bags?
death_hawk wrote: Webstaurant has it for $600USD plus $50 shipping (how this is possible I have no idea since the damn thing is like 70lbs dimensionally) which works out to about $850.
Toss on a few thousand bags and you're basically out the door for $1000.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP I just looked up some of my old threads and it was apparently $450USD a couple years ago. Man that's jumped up in price.
But shipping seems to have come down by $100 so it somewhat balances out.

That's why I love auctions. Mostly for the entertainment value. I love watching people pay more than retail for scratch and dent goods.
That said, I got a used Berkel 350D for $1500. The thing retails for like $10k.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19427 posts
28163 upvotes
ONTARIO
This is not a bad price, but if you really keep track of these things, you can eventually find a better deal.

I am still using the FoodSaver FM5400 I got from Costco.ca for $110 + tax back in 2017.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27781 posts
13379 upvotes
aphextwin wrote: Damn son, that's a good deal!!!
Technically was a better deal like 2 years ago haha.
They've hit as low as $400USD for a refurb. $600 is actually quite high.
Hmm now you got me thinking if I should buy one once I use up my regular vacuum sealer bags...
As I said, if mine broke today (and I didn't have my Berkel that I still haven't set up yet...) I'd buy another one immediately.
should I move one step up for a metal lid.

There's a metal lid?
Where do you buy your bags?
Amazon Canada had them for a while, but now I buy from Webstaurant (same place as the picture)
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1520 posts
855 upvotes
Nikhilvoid wrote: Thanks. The one you linked seems more powerful than the generic one I got from Amazon, which look like these: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vacuum-Sealer-F ... 2907877436

Those should be avoided, especially considering the shipping time.

How does yours work? Good suction power?
I'm afraid I don't have anything to compare with.

It's definitely better than the water displacement method, and can handle wet items too.

I sealed up some ground beef 2 weeks ago and it's still bright red. No oxidation at all.

Bigger items like roasts and bone in steaks, need some help as air can get trapped.

This sealer works the best when you have the meat squished in one corner of the bag.
May 12, 2015
28 posts
11 upvotes
Victoria, BC
To those that know these things, my sealer from costco is around 8 years old now and struggles. The biggest need I have is to seal whole salmon I catch.
What are the things I would look for to do that?

thanks
Aug 27, 2013
571 posts
287 upvotes
cloud
I've been using the older version of the Food Saver Game Saver for 4+ years without any issues.

In addition to bags, I use it with mason jars as well (needs FoodSaver Regular/Wide Mouth Jar Sealer) to store nuts, to keep them from getting rancid.