Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Amazon FreeTime Subscription • $28/yr (reg. $90) • Apps, Shows, Books for Kids • Expiry: Apr. 22nd • ((YMMV))

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2020 10:34 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2571 posts
3326 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

[Amazon.ca] Amazon FreeTime Subscription • $28/yr (reg. $90) • Apps, Shows, Books for Kids • Expiry: Apr. 22nd • ((YMMV))

YMMV - COMPATIBLE AMAZON FIRE TABLET REQUIRED

FreeTime Unlimited is an all-in-one subscription that gives kids access to thousands of kid-friendly books, movies, TV shows, educational apps, and games on compatible Fire tablets.

Parents also receive access to easy-to-use parental controls that allow them to find the right balance between education and entertainment. Parents can personalize screen time limits, set educational goals, filter age-appropriate content, and also manage web browsing and content usage based on their preferences.

FreeTime Unlimited gives kids unlimited access to a world of content to explore and parents the confidence that all content is age-appropriate.

FreeTime Unlimited allows each parent to customize their child’s experience to provide the most relevant books, videos, apps, and more in an environment built from the ground up just for kids.

Amazon Parent Dashboard
Discover the books, videos, educational apps, and games kids enjoy in FreeTime through Parent Dashboard. Also gain access to child activity and manage settings that include adding select content from your personal library, setting daily time limits, modifying web browser behavior, pausing the device, and more.

Time Limits
Limiting your child’s screen time can be challenging without the proper tools. FreeTime lets parents set daily limits, or restrict certain categories – like apps and video – while leaving unlimited time for reading.

Age Filters
FreeTime Age Filters ensure that your child sees age-appropriate content within FreeTime Unlimited. Parents can also adjust Age Filter settings to tailor the experience for each child.

Learn First
With Learn First, parents can block access to games and cartoons until after educational goals are met. For devices with the Bedtime feature enabled, parents can control when FreeTime shuts down for the day.

Individual Profiles
Parents can create up to four individual child profiles and give each child selected access to books and apps from their personal library. It’s like giving each kid their very own personalized tablet.

No Surprises
While in FreeTime Unlimited, kids don’t have access to social media and can’t make in-app purchases. Parents can exit FreeTime using a passcode.
9 replies
Jan 15, 2016
572 posts
585 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
i was reading up on this and seems it can be with any device.

anyone can chime in on the content?
Oct 19, 2006
159 posts
203 upvotes
But I've already spent the free $2000 the feds gave me on all the Canada Goose Deals :rolleyes: :facepalm:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2571 posts
3326 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
biscuits wrote: i was reading up on this and seems it can be with any device.

anyone can chime in on the content?
Doesn't look like it. I signed up and there doesn't appear to be any FreeTime app in the Play store, just waiting for Amazon.ca customer service to open this morning to get the charges reversed.
Aug 6, 2012
301 posts
128 upvotes
TORONTO
remik wrote: Doesn't look like it. I signed up and there doesn't appear to be any FreeTime app in the Play store, just waiting for Amazon.ca customer service to open this morning to get the charges reversed.
You can install the Amazon Appstore to get all the Amazon things. Unlike the Google Play Store it's just one thing to install. Will need to turn on "Unknown Sources" while you do it though
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2571 posts
3326 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
jeremy4 wrote: You can install the Amazon Appstore to get all the Amazon things. Unlike the Google Play Store it's just one thing to install. Will need to turn on "Unknown Sources" while you do it though
Thanks,
I'll give that a try.

update:
so I downloaded the Amazon AppStore and I couldnt figure out FreeTime, there doesn't appear to be an app for FreeTime, I think that on an Amazon Fire tablet all the freetime apps are just grouped under a "freetime" folder.

I was really hoping for a "one-stop shop/app" and not individual downloads as appears to be the case. I chatted with CS and got a refund.

This may be a good deal for some, especially if you have an Amazon Fire tablet, but for me it was a pass. I used to have an Fire HD 10 but sold it at the beginning of the pandemic and got the Lenovo P10 deal from the US for $120.
Apr 21, 2012
532 posts
747 upvotes
Ontario
Can I get this for my son's amazon kids tablet we got on Christmas and pre-emptively load it? You get one year free with the kids tablets.

Also, who the hell is going to pay $90 for the freetime subscription when the tablets are roughly the same price and get you a free year.
Apr 21, 2012
532 posts
747 upvotes
Ontario
I also don't see the deal
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4835 posts
1612 upvotes
Kingston
FreeTime is crap. I HATE freetime.

We got the firehd kids edition and it comes with 1yr freetime. It is VERY restrictive and a pain in the ass.
The content is just ok. My son is 2.5yrs old and doesn't use any of it. Only the apps we installed manually through the Amazon store.
So the only good thing about FreeTime for me is that it keeps him out of apps and settings he shouldn't be in. I don't know how to do that without freetime.

Without FreeTime he gets into the system menu and has actually formatted the tablet before.
I did not buy the tablet for FreeTime, I only bought it for the excellent warranty.

The Amazon store is sh*t. And with freetime you can only install apps from the Amazon store. I don't think all of the apps are even available on the tablet. I've found an app on my phone in the Amazon store, but when I search on the tablet it doesn't come up.

You have to install the app on the parent side first, then authorize it, then go to the kids freetime side and download and install it again. Sometimes it takes a really long time to download and install. I have no idea why.

It took me forever to figure out how to sideload an app on the freetime side. When I installed it there was no access to the app. It HAS to be installed through the Amazon app store or it doesn't make an icon. If you want to get into that sideloaded app you have to install it then when it's done installing, press open, not done. Obviously that method is not going to work for a kid.

YouTube kids cannot be put on the freetime side. I installed it on there, but my son has no icon to open it.
That's one of the main apps I wanted to sideload, plus some modded apps without ads, or other apps not available on Amazon store.

You can give access to webpages, but there are websites that aren't compatible. Even though you can open it up it won't let you give access on the freetime side. YouTube webpage I think was restricted. Or maybe it was because I was trying to add a specific channel. I don't remember.

And sometimes when you add a specific webpage, it will give access from the homepage of that site, not the page you picked.

Freetime is not worth it!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2571 posts
3326 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Tha DraGun wrote: FreeTime is crap. I HATE freetime.

We got the firehd kids edition and it comes with 1yr freetime. It is VERY restrictive and a pain in the ass.
The content is just ok. My son is 2.5yrs old and doesn't use any of it. Only the apps we installed manually through the Amazon store.
So the only good thing about FreeTime for me is that it keeps him out of apps and settings he shouldn't be in. I don't know how to do that without freetime.

Without FreeTime he gets into the system menu and has actually formatted the tablet before.
I did not buy the tablet for FreeTime, I only bought it for the excellent warranty.

The Amazon store is sh*t. And with freetime you can only install apps from the Amazon store. I don't think all of the apps are even available on the tablet. I've found an app on my phone in the Amazon store, but when I search on the tablet it doesn't come up.

You have to install the app on the parent side first, then authorize it, then go to the kids freetime side and download and install it again. Sometimes it takes a really long time to download and install. I have no idea why.

It took me forever to figure out how to sideload an app on the freetime side. When I installed it there was no access to the app. It HAS to be installed through the Amazon app store or it doesn't make an icon. If you want to get into that sideloaded app you have to install it then when it's done installing, press open, not done. Obviously that method is not going to work for a kid.

YouTube kids cannot be put on the freetime side. I installed it on there, but my son has no icon to open it.
That's one of the main apps I wanted to sideload, plus some modded apps without ads, or other apps not available on Amazon store.

You can give access to webpages, but there are websites that aren't compatible. Even though you can open it up it won't let you give access on the freetime side. YouTube webpage I think was restricted. Or maybe it was because I was trying to add a specific channel. I don't remember.

And sometimes when you add a specific webpage, it will give access from the homepage of that site, not the page you picked.

Freetime is not worth it!
Thanks for the review, good I had buyer's remorse shortly after.