Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Amazon Kindle and Kindle Paperwhite - $84.99 (From $119.99) and $104.99 (From $139.99)

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2021 8:38 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24347 posts
31237 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Amazon Kindle and Kindle Paperwhite - $84.99 (From $119.99) and $104.99 (From $139.99)

Amazon Kindle - $84.99
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07FQ4XCR1/

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite - $104.99
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07HKYZMQX/

Decent deal based on historicals.
.
Thread Summary
Not sure what to get? Take a look at RFD Reviews' roundup of the best e-readers!
25 replies
Newbie
Jul 31, 2019
30 posts
45 upvotes
Kobo may be better if you’re Canadian and borrow library books. Clara HD and Nia models on sale at Amazon, Indigo Chapters, possibly other stores. Great alternative to Kindle if you want to take advantage of Overdrive and more file types. Happy Reading
Banned
Aug 19, 2021
2 posts
1 upvote
The reader works perfectly. Sits well in your hands. I have no issues with the lighting quality. I absolutely love the flush screen.
Newbie
Oct 23, 2017
99 posts
241 upvotes
Can anybody who has tried the Paperwhite vs. the Clara HD or premium e-readers (e.g. Oasis) comment on the soft light feature for night reading? Realistically, I do a lot of night reading. Trying to decide whether to get the Paperwhite vs. Clara HD vs. Oasis. I can afford it but am secretly afraid it'll turn into an expensive paperweight.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24347 posts
31237 upvotes
Sanjithechef wrote: Kobo may be better if you’re Canadian and borrow library books. Clara HD and Nia models on sale at Amazon, Indigo Chapters, possibly other stores. Great alternative to Kindle if you want to take advantage of Overdrive and more file types. Happy Reading
Haven't we found workarounds to this issue in 2021?

I've heard this from multiple readers.
.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2011
2354 posts
5111 upvotes
Mississauga
From what I keep hearing the paperwhite is due for a refresh soon as it hasn’t been updated since 2018. I wouldn’t be surprised that’s why Amazon is selling them on sale as a new version maybe right around the corner.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 12, 2006
1168 posts
1683 upvotes
PumpkinPete wrote: Can anybody who has tried the Paperwhite vs. the Clara HD or premium e-readers (e.g. Oasis) comment on the soft light feature for night reading? Realistically, I do a lot of night reading. Trying to decide whether to get the Paperwhite vs. Clara HD vs. Oasis. I can afford it but am secretly afraid it'll turn into an expensive paperweight.
I have a Paperwhite4, and while I prefer the softer light of the more premium ones, the blue-ish white LEDs don't bother me. Maybe I'm not blue light sensitive.

I've said in the previous Kindle thread that this is a great deal for anyone looking to pickup, though it's a little long in the tooth and my chief requirements for the updated one coming out is USB-C + warm LEDs.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 12, 2006
1168 posts
1683 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Haven't we found workarounds to this issue in 2021?

I've heard this from multiple readers.
The internet, tons of books. *cough z-library cough*

Calibre to convert + manager your library.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 22, 2014
3081 posts
2599 upvotes
GTA Ontario
Sanjithechef wrote: Kobo may be better if you’re Canadian and borrow library books. Clara HD and Nia models on sale at Amazon, Indigo Chapters, possibly other stores. Great alternative to Kindle if you want to take advantage of Overdrive and more file types. Happy Reading
I don't think "more file types" is much of an issue: either you buy your books from the respective reader's ecosystem (anything you buy from Amazon will absolutely work on the Kindle, and can be automatically sent to it as soon as you buy it) or you manage your own library of books/documents in whatever formats you find them in or convert them to. And in the latter case you'll likely use some software to manage that library, and that software will likely be able to convert the book to a format compatible with your reader (such as Calibre software). Kobo's native library support is nice if you do want to read library books. For whatever reason Amazon has not made the Kindle format available to Overdrive; possibly because Overdrive is owned by Kobo's parent company (Rakuten). If you really want to read library books on a Kindle you can do it by using Calibre to strip the DRM (Digital Rights Management), convert it to a Kindle format, and send it to the Kindle. That's a violation of the copyright technically (because you remove the DRM), but not ethically if you only ever have one copy of the book (the actual intention of the DRM).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24347 posts
31237 upvotes
Kazushi wrote: The internet, tons of books. *cough z-library cough*

Calibre to convert + manager your library.
Yep.

Most Canadian women over 40 aren't down with the sickness though, so this still kills the Kindle for them.
.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 12, 2006
1168 posts
1683 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Yep.

Most Canadian women over 40 aren't down with the sickness though, so this still kills the Kindle for them.
god that just brought back memories. Haven't heard that song in ages!
Newbie
Jul 31, 2019
30 posts
45 upvotes
I personally think the best way to read at night is with a lamp or light next to your bed and using that light on my Kobo with zero brightness. But at 1-2% brightness with full “soft light” feature I find it much less straining than reading on my iPhone. Not sure if the soft/warm light is on the cheaper kindles but it is on the Clara HD and I think it works well
Newbie
Jul 31, 2019
30 posts
45 upvotes
I find overdrive to be very convenient because I can get books without having to connect to a PC. Just getting them from the kobo itself or lobby/overdrive app on my phone and it syncs instantly on the kobo. I’m sure the kindle is great too though! if you don’t mind finding your own books online then you can save money that way I guess. But overdrive has been a life saver
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
2627 posts
5838 upvotes
Vancouver
Sanjithechef wrote: I find overdrive to be very convenient because I can get books without having to connect to a PC. Just getting them from the kobo itself or lobby/overdrive app on my phone and it syncs instantly on the kobo. I’m sure the kindle is great too though! if you don’t mind finding your own books online then you can save money that way I guess. But overdrive has been a life saver
You don't need to connect to PC with kindle either, simply email them
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
16824 posts
4602 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
danascully wrote: You don't need to connect to PC with kindle either, simply email them
Kindle doesnt work with overdrive app. One would still need to access the file, figure it out a way to get it on, and then send over to kindle.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
16824 posts
4602 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Sanjithechef wrote: I personally think the best way to read at night is with a lamp or light next to your bed and using that light on my Kobo with zero brightness. But at 1-2% brightness with full “soft light” feature I find it much less straining than reading on my iPhone. Not sure if the soft/warm light is on the cheaper kindles but it is on the Clara HD and I think it works well
I am looking for a deal on Clara HD with soft warm light, vs cold blue led on kindles. Hows the performance on Clara HD? I still have a Kobo touch, and have had no qualms with it.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 20, 2003
7067 posts
3589 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Kazushi wrote: The internet, tons of books. *cough z-library cough*

Calibre to convert + manager your library.
Omg.... thanks!!!!!

Wife asked me the other day for something like this...

She wants to get into ebook reading... now its to find whats best... kindle or kobo?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 30, 2007
8860 posts
832 upvotes
Toronto
feels like a bad idea buying a paperwhite now but the price is hard to resist
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
2627 posts
5838 upvotes
Vancouver
nounou23 wrote: Omg.... thanks!!!!!

Wife asked me the other day for something like this...

She wants to get into ebook reading... now its to find whats best... kindle or kobo?
Having a library card and z-lib... i'm not sure i've needed to borrow anything from the library digitally. Lol
Newbie
Nov 27, 2018
30 posts
19 upvotes
Sanjithechef wrote: Kobo may be better if you’re Canadian and borrow library books. Clara HD and Nia models on sale at Amazon, Indigo Chapters, possibly other stores. Great alternative to Kindle if you want to take advantage of Overdrive and more file types. Happy Reading
Guess I missed those sales. What were they selling for?

Top