• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2020 3:33 am
[OP]
Banned
Jul 12, 2005
610 posts
417 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Amazon Prime Day (early deals) - 2 Echo Dots (3rd gen) for $49.98

Amazon Prime Day (early deals) - 2 Echo Dots for $49.98 (3rd gen)

https://www.amazon.ca/primeday
Last edited by TomRFD on Sep 28th, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
Thread Summary
Echo Dot (3rd gen) - Smart speaker with Alexa - Charcoal $54.99 regular price

APD Deal: 2 for $49.98
128 replies
Nov 30, 2007
84 posts
65 upvotes
It's been nearly a year since Fire TV 4K was $39.99...waiting patiently for another sale...
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4581 posts
1912 upvotes
I've had both Alexa and Google (Home).

I wanted to like Alexa just because calling your device Alexa is farrrrrr more satisfying than ever saying "Okay Google" all the time, but the Alexa AI is just plain dumb by comparison and relies too heavily on specific trigger words, her voice is also way too robotic. Google you can ask more detailed and intelligent questions and it'll at least make an effort to try to figure out what you're asking. I will say, I swear Google Home has been getting dumber lately than when I first got it a year or two ago.

Regardless, I'd buy any of the devices at full price just for the simple command of "Alexa/Okay Google SET TIMER 10 minutes." I use it at least 5x a day.
⬇⬇⬇ FOR SALE: ⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇
(Smartwatch / Fitness Tracker) Garmin Vivoactive 3 WHITE/ROSE GOLD (non-Mp3) - $120 SHIPPED (Oct 27th), EMT ONLY
⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
2133 posts
747 upvotes
EDMONTON
RiCHC3 wrote: I've had both Alexa and Google (Home).

I wanted to like Alexa just because calling your device Alexa is farrrrrr more satisfying than ever saying "Okay Google" all the time, but the Alexa AI is just plain dumb by comparison and relies too heavily on specific trigger words, her voice is also way too robotic. Google you can ask more detailed and intelligent questions and it'll at least make an effort to try to figure out what you're asking. I will say, I swear Google Home has been getting dumber lately than when I first got it a year or two ago.

Regardless, I'd buy any of the devices at full price just for the simple command of "Alexa/Okay Google SET TIMER 10 minutes." I use it at least 5x a day.
FYI, You can change Alexa's trigger word to say "Computer", "Echo" or "Amazon" instead.
RFD Etiquette:
- If you are going to shoot down a deal by referencing an expired sale or past deals, please provide us with a working time machine!
Nov 1, 2018
158 posts
159 upvotes
Burnaby
fox29 wrote: It's been nearly a year since Fire TV 4K was $39.99...waiting patiently for another sale...
Holy shit, you're right, time flies... I'm remembering the past 6 months based on which RFD deals I've taken advantage of, smh
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
12079 posts
3252 upvotes
Scarberia
umadbrah wrote: FYI, You can change Alexa's trigger word to say "Computer", "Echo" or "Amazon" instead.
Ya but u can't create ur own custom trigger words! Also I'd like it if any of them had a Clapping Hands Sign clapping sound to trigger lights on off!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Banned
Sep 27, 2020
2 posts
1 upvote
Singapore
I already have an Amazon Echo dot, mostly I use to set the timer during working hours. It is easy compared to watch or phone!
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2002
1258 posts
80 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
mikka2017 wrote: Ya but u can't create ur own custom trigger words! Also I'd like it if any of them had a Clapping Hands Sign clapping sound to trigger lights on off!
That would be cool (and retro) like the clapper Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4546 posts
6624 upvotes
Montreal
RiCHC3 wrote: (...) I wanted to like Alexa just because calling your device Alexa is farrrrrr more satisfying than ever saying "Okay Google" all the time, (...)
If you don't like "Okay Google", you can say:

"Hey poodle" :)
Jul 20, 2016
561 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto
"ok boomer" also works for google home Electric Light Bulb
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2006
1289 posts
253 upvotes
The new echo dot looks great

This is meh just getting rid of old stock
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
3523 posts
2834 upvotes
No Bum Deals
RiCHC3 wrote: I've had both Alexa and Google (Home).
Once you learn Alexas nuances I find you can actually get more done with a better range of skills and integration on offer. I totally agree about timers especially named timers when cooking.
🢂 2x Koodo 35/10 - 1x Koodo 35/7 - 1x Fido Data 0/3 🢀
Jun 13, 2017
483 posts
302 upvotes
Ajax, Ontario
Amazon Prime Day is coming? Sigh... Time to remove Redflagdeals and Amazon from bookmarks...
"If you offend the OP instead of thanking him, I will gladly report you for either harassment or off-topic."

ArloCopter