Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Amazon Prime Video - 50% off Select Channels (StackTV)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2021 10:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
2512 posts
945 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …

[Amazon.ca] Amazon Prime Video - 50% off Select Channels (StackTV)

Not exactly a hot deal, but on logging in to prime video today I noticed the banners for 50% off for 3 months for select channels.

Good for someone who wants to try these out. StackTV is probably the best 'deal'. I've subscribed with the free trial in the past and did watch a few things on it. My wife enjoyed it for the Halmark holiday movies.

The StackTV package includes:
Global
W
HGTV
History
Adult Swim
Treehouse
Food
Teletoon
YTV
Showcase
National Geographic
Teletoon

$6.49 per month for 3 months, after that it reverts to the usual $12.99 if you don't cancel. Cancelling was a simple click from the web or the android app.

Other channels:
Starz
Nick+
PBS
Super Channel
Shudder
MGM
BBC Earth
Hollywood Suite
OutTV
Sundance Now
IFC Films
Love Nature
Smithsonian Channel
The Great Courses

I have not tried any of the other channels personally but some folks may be interested. I've heard Shudder is decent for horror fans but you can likely find the same content on other services.
71 replies
May 31, 2017
571 posts
811 upvotes
Not part of Amazon but I also noticed Sportsnet Now has $50 off their annual subscription fee for Black Friday...for any cord cutters that want sports. The Sportsnet Now+ is regular price so it’s just the regular Sportsnet package...which is plenty for the casual sports fan.
Dec 15, 2015
705 posts
536 upvotes
Toronto
BatCountry wrote: Not part of Amazon but I also noticed Sportsnet Now has $50 off their annual subscription fee for Black Friday...for any cord cutters that want sports. The Sportsnet Now+ is regular price so it’s just the regular Sportsnet package...which is plenty for the casual sports fan.
Isn't the point of cord cutting not paying for TV at all? The value is terrible buying your TV like this.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
2512 posts
945 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …
TheMaterial wrote: Isn't the point of cord cutting not paying for TV at all? The value is terrible buying your TV like this.
I agree. I already sign up for too many streaming services but at least it's easy to sign up for a short period of time when they have promotions like this. It's much easier to cancel than a cable package.

I find Prime is a good value simply because I shop at Amazon so often so the Prime Video is essentially an extra service I'm getting for 'free' xD
Jul 7, 2005
211 posts
162 upvotes
Thornhill
TheMaterial wrote: Isn't the point of cord cutting not paying for TV at all? The value is terrible buying your TV like this.
I would disagree. I jumped on Stack TV two months ago and never looked back (after Rogers decided that my best package is $176 per month). My 7 year old enjoys Treehouse, and soon to enjoy YTV and TELETOON. While my wife and I get a pretty wide selection of shows and movies from Showcase, W, History and Food Network. This is basically $1 per channel and if I was going to go to any cable tier, it would easily cost $80 for 80%+ of garbage channels. I am hard pressed or perhaps too lazy to setup something similar in DIY fashion for an cheaper cost!
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2009
1213 posts
774 upvotes
If you've cut the cord for a few years, going back to watching regular TV is going to be painful. I recently tried PlutoTV just for the fun of it and I couldn't believe I used to watch television like this. Don't get me wrong, PlutoTV is a great app if you are interested in retro television shows and you want to just channel surf. However, that's free. Actually paying for the experience of watching television at specific times and commercials seems insane to me.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2003
1988 posts
1732 upvotes
Malfunction wrote: I would disagree. I jumped on Stack TV two months ago and never looked back (after Rogers decided that my best package is $176 per month). My 7 year old enjoys Treehouse, and soon to enjoy YTV and TELETOON. While my wife and I get a pretty wide selection of shows and movies from Showcase, W, History and Food Network. This is basically $1 per channel and if I was going to go to any cable tier, it would easily cost $80 for 80%+ of garbage channels. I am hard pressed or perhaps too lazy to setup something similar in DIY fashion for an cheaper cost!
This. We canceled an $85 Bell TV bill and have moved to Stack.
Aug 31, 2008
830 posts
427 upvotes
Noob question. Is it $6.50 per month and you get all those channels? Or is it $6.50 per channel?
Jul 7, 2005
211 posts
162 upvotes
Thornhill
superrabbi wrote: Noob question. Is it $6.50 per month and you get all those channels? Or is it $6.50 per channel?
StackTV is ALL the listed channels in that specific package ( at an intro rate) of $6.50/mo... After, it's $13+tax
Dec 15, 2015
705 posts
536 upvotes
Toronto
Malfunction wrote: I would disagree. I jumped on Stack TV two months ago and never looked back (after Rogers decided that my best package is $176 per month). My 7 year old enjoys Treehouse, and soon to enjoy YTV and TELETOON. While my wife and I get a pretty wide selection of shows and movies from Showcase, W, History and Food Network. This is basically $1 per channel and if I was going to go to any cable tier, it would easily cost $80 for 80%+ of garbage channels. I am hard pressed or perhaps too lazy to setup something similar in DIY fashion for an cheaper cost!
Right, $13 to watch forged in fire on repeat all day. Sounds like a great value. When your done with that I'm sure there's great reality TV on slice. What about sports? Is the wife not a TLC fan?
Lets not forget you need a prime account all the time. You can't just purchase a month when you need it.

I pay rogers $135 OTD, get the premier tv package and a solid internet package.

There is a reason cable companies are pushing these packages right now. It's never in the interest of the customer.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2017
1191 posts
3355 upvotes
TheMaterial wrote: Right, $13 to watch forged in fire on repeat all day. Sounds like a great value. When your done with that I'm sure there's great reality TV on slice. What about sports? Is the wife not a TLC fan?
Lets not forget you need a prime account all the time. You can't just purchase a month when you need it.

I pay rogers $135 OTD, get the premier tv package and a solid internet package.

There is a reason cable companies are pushing these packages right now. It's never in the interest of the customer.
Clearly it doesn't seem to be in your interest, but it works for other people.
My phone plan is $400 a month for 500 MB of data.
My internet plan is $199.99 for capped internet and slow speeds.
My credit cards are the ones with annual fees but terrible rewards.
Did I RFD correctly?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 3, 2006
5261 posts
2587 upvotes
Winnipeg
BatCountry wrote: Not part of Amazon but I also noticed Sportsnet Now has $50 off their annual subscription fee for Black Friday...for any cord cutters that want sports. The Sportsnet Now+ is regular price so it’s just the regular Sportsnet package...which is plenty for the casual sports fan.
Thank-you!!
This isn't a blog.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 3, 2006
5261 posts
2587 upvotes
Winnipeg
Only thing we watch in my home is live sports and some streaming services (Netflix, Amazon Prime and D+). Cutting the cord means saving $50 to $80 month on TV channels that we never watch.
This isn't a blog.
Dec 26, 2007
257 posts
73 upvotes
Ottawa
Does anyone here have Shudder or IFC? if yes how vast is their selection of content?

Does anyone know if you can really cancel at anytime or do you have to commit to the three months of service?
Last edited by sean99 on Nov 25th, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 31, 2017
571 posts
811 upvotes
How can you figure the value is terrible???...

Instead of paying $90+ for cable (assuming normal package pricing) you can get Netflix for $18.99/mo (and that's the top package - a few dollars less with their normal package) and Sportsnet for $12/mo right now and save $60 a month vs. the normal cable costs. I can also cancel Netflix in 4 months after catching up on any shows/movies and sign up for Crave for 3-4 months (which is cheaper then Netflix) and do the same...then sign up for Disney+ (also cheaper then Netflix) for a couple months and just keep rotating them. I also get way more content that is all on-demand.

If you are an Amazon Prime customer for shopping you get Prime Video included (sure it's around $7 a month but it's a sunk cost if you are already a prime member for shopping whether you have cable or not).

To me, cord cutting is as much about punishing the big telecom providers for their tactics, forced package inclusions, lack of loyalty to existing customers, disconnect between "service" and "customer experience" etc.
I can also get internet deals for typically much less then the telecom's provide too...particularly this time of year. All told, I probably save $200/mo over Rogers/Bell if I include my cell plan savings in the mix. Doesn't sound like terrible value to me.

Sure, I don't have free services via a Kodi box or (often illegal) streaming but I'm fine with some subscriptions at reasonable costs and paying for what I use - particularly when I am saving significant dollars overall.
Jan 24, 2007
199 posts
66 upvotes
I can't seem to find this.
Dec 15, 2015
705 posts
536 upvotes
Toronto
BatCountry wrote: How can you figure the value is terrible???...

Instead of paying $90+ for cable (assuming normal package pricing) you can get Netflix for $18.99/mo (and that's the top package - a few dollars less with their normal package) and Sportsnet for $12/mo right now and save $60 a month vs. the normal cable costs. I can also cancel Netflix in 4 months after catching up on any shows/movies and sign up for Crave for 3-4 months (which is cheaper then Netflix) and do the same...then sign up for Disney+ (also cheaper then Netflix) for a couple months and just keep rotating them. I also get way more content that is all on-demand.

If you are an Amazon Prime customer for shopping you get Prime Video included (sure it's around $7 a month but it's a sunk cost if you are already a prime member for shopping whether you have cable or not).

To me, cord cutting is as much about punishing the big telecom providers for their tactics, forced package inclusions, lack of loyalty to existing customers, disconnect between "service" and "customer experience" etc.
I can also get internet deals for typically much less then the telecom's provide too...particularly this time of year. All told, I probably save $200/mo over Rogers/Bell if I include my cell plan savings in the mix. Doesn't sound like terrible value to me.

Sure, I don't have free services via a Kodi box or (often illegal) streaming but I'm fine with some subscriptions at reasonable costs and paying for what I use - particularly when I am saving significant dollars overall.
Where are you people getting cable tv pricing from? Its like an extra $15 to add cable to your internet services, and a bit more to add significantly better cable services.

Depending on your internet costs, I likely don't pay much more than you do. But get everything I want right away, and don't need to play subscription roulette. I get crave for free via rogers.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2017
1191 posts
3355 upvotes
TheMaterial wrote: Where are you people getting cable tv pricing from? Its like an extra $15 to add cable to your internet services, and a bit more to add significantly better cable services.

Depending on your internet costs, I likely don't pay much more than you do. But get everything I want right away, and don't need to play subscription roulette. I get crave for free via rogers.
You just said you pay $135 for TV and internet.

I pay $37 for internet so I would have to pay for a basket of streaming services worth $100 to be anywhere close to what you pay.

If the deal isn't for you, why do you have to continue to argue about whether it is a good deal (for someone else)?
My phone plan is $400 a month for 500 MB of data.
My internet plan is $199.99 for capped internet and slow speeds.
My credit cards are the ones with annual fees but terrible rewards.
Did I RFD correctly?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2008
1318 posts
304 upvotes
The only problem wit this deal is that nothing is on now as the 3 major sports they have are NBA, NHL and Bluejays... and we do not even have starting dates for NHL and MLB yet.. so my point is you will be paying for limited lineup for at least 2 months and this is assuming NBA starts at xmas and NHL gets going by late Jan. Once you subtract the 2-3 months of limited programming..deal not so hot...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)