Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Amazon Smart Plug - $9.99 (Must order through Alexa)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2020 6:57 pm
[OP]
Oct 7, 2020
72 posts
143 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Amazon Smart Plug - $9.99 (Must order through Alexa)

59 replies
Aug 12, 2010
744 posts
559 upvotes
tried it, Alexa said added to cart at $34.99. No discount at checkout
Zoomer $36 Plan Loyal
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4751 posts
2226 upvotes
geoffs wrote: tried it, Alexa said added to cart at $34.99. No discount at checkout
(Through Alexa)
I added to cart, it said $34.99 but the discount was at checkout for me. I'm a prime member, not sure if that's the difference?
Order Summary
Items: CDN$ 34.99
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 6.99
FREE Shipping: -CDN$ 6.99
Alexa: -CDN$ 24.99

Total before tax: CDN$ 10.00
Estimated GST/HST: CDN$ 0.50
Estimated PST/RST/QST: CDN$ 0.70
Order Total: CDN$ 11.20

Thanks OP.
⬇⬇⬇ FOR SALE: ⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇
⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
1590 posts
387 upvotes
Can confirm that you have to checkout before the discount is added.
Dec 27, 2012
75 posts
34 upvotes
Barrie
On the amazon plugs website "Only CDN$ 10 when you order with Alexa. Just say, “Alexa, order an Amazon Smart Plug.“
Jul 19, 2006
556 posts
165 upvotes
Awesome - 11.30 after tax with free shipping and (with Prime account) Grinning Face I've been waiting for a sale on one of these - perfect timing! Thanks OP.

BTW... the discount is added at the checkout.
Aug 12, 2010
744 posts
559 upvotes
Netjunky69 wrote: On the amazon plugs website "Only CDN$ 10 when you order with Alexa. Just say, “Alexa, order an Amazon Smart Plug.“
Did exactly that, and said buy it now:

Item Subtotal: CDN$ 34.99
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 0.00
Estimated Tax (GST/HST): CDN$ 1.75
Estimated Tax (PST/QST): CDN$ 0.00
Order Total: CDN$ 36.74
Zoomer $36 Plan Loyal
Dec 27, 2012
75 posts
34 upvotes
Barrie
geoffs wrote: Did exactly that, and said buy it now:

Item Subtotal: CDN$ 34.99
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 0.00
Estimated Tax (GST/HST): CDN$ 1.75
Estimated Tax (PST/QST): CDN$ 0.00
Order Total: CDN$ 36.74
I just ordered one through my echo dot, added to my cart with a discount. Not sure why it's not working for you....I also got one the last time this promo was on.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1305 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
How is this smart if it can’t even monitor energy usage? Costco has 2 pack for 22$ and minor your energy usage.
Nov 30, 2015
127 posts
102 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I ordered one of these on Prime Day. Plugged it in in my bedroom and at night I noticed a high-pitched whining noise coming from the plug. Does anyone who has this notice the same thing?

I'm still on the fence about whether I want a refund or exchange (have until Jan 31 to decide).
Aug 12, 2010
744 posts
559 upvotes
Netjunky69 wrote: I just ordered one through my echo dot, added to my cart with a discount. Not sure why it's not working for you....I also got one the last time this promo was on.
Well nothing on their website for me saying $10 Cdn to buy either...
Zoomer $36 Plan Loyal
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2861 posts
1416 upvotes
ysl5710 wrote: How is this smart if it can’t even monitor energy usage? Costco has 2 pack for 22$ and minor your energy usage.
I think the 2-pack from Costco is just 19.99 in the warehouse and 14.97 at one point.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Apr 30, 2019
83 posts
31 upvotes
I like the Amazon plug because it doesn't need a 3rd party app.
Jan 15, 2016
490 posts
488 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
bogolisk wrote: I think the 2-pack from Costco is just 19.99 in the warehouse and 14.97 at one point.
Yup got that deal, it was coz of the $5 energy rebate.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2861 posts
1416 upvotes
Canuckbert wrote: I ordered one of these on Prime Day. Plugged it in in my bedroom and at night I noticed a high-pitched whining noise coming from the plug. Does anyone who has this notice the same thing?
Ppl said the same thing in reviews on Amazon
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4751 posts
2226 upvotes
Canuckbert wrote: I ordered one of these on Prime Day. Plugged it in in my bedroom and at night I noticed a high-pitched whining noise coming from the plug. Does anyone who has this notice the same thing?

I'm still on the fence about whether I want a refund or exchange (have until Jan 31 to decide).
Not me, but I'm using it just for a lamp. Are you using something with high power draw or something? Not that it should whine either way.
My WiFi light bulb from a similar Amazon promo does make a light noise though, but mostly unnoticeable.

If I were you, I'd exchange partly because I'd feel entitled to it and the other part is just peace of mind that this thing isn't going to burn down my house. Rep might even say keep that one and they'll send you a new one for free. Go through chat if you want that possibility.
⬇⬇⬇ FOR SALE: ⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇
⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆
Nov 30, 2015
127 posts
102 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
RiCHC3 wrote: Not me, but I'm using it just for a lamp. Are you using something with high power draw or something? Not that it should whine either way.
My WiFi light bulb from a similar Amazon promo does make a light noise though, but mostly unnoticeable.

If I were you, I'd exchange partly because I'd feel entitled to it and the other part is just peace of mind that this thing isn't going to burn down my house. Rep might even say keep that one and they'll send you a new one for free. Go through chat if you want that possibility.
Nope nothing was plugged into it actually. Out of curiosity I tried it again just now with a lamp plugged into it and the same high-pitched whining sound was coming from it. The pitch of the sound changes slightly when you press the on/off button. The noise can only be heard if you're right beside the plug or at night when everything is off.

I have 3 TP-link smart plugs in my room as well and none of them make that noise. I think I'll try another one. Thanks for your input.
Jan 2, 2020
49 posts
30 upvotes

I bought mine over a year ago and have this exact same thing when my lamp is off. But this is no different than the noise I hear from my phone charger when my phone has finished charging and it's still plugged in.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3981 posts
1295 upvotes
Edmonton
I have alexa app on my phone, but when I try and order I just get the amazon app shopping, and the price is $35. Not sure if this can work through the app or you need an actual echo to do this.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2196 posts
1317 upvotes
North Vancouver
Worked perfectly, thanks OP!
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)