• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2020 4:57 pm
[OP]
Sep 25, 2015
453 posts
786 upvotes
Toronto, ON

[Amazon.ca] AmazonBasics 32 Amp Level 2 EV Charging Station $549.99

I've been keeping an eye on the Amazon Basics Level 2 Electric Vehicle Charger and the price seems to have dropped by a few hundred dollars.
55 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2188 posts
1208 upvotes
Vancouveresque

Not the lowest it's ever been ($440 on April 28th), but the lowest that it has been since then.
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Capitalism is a plague on this planet. Get that crap out of your signature.
Sep 15, 2003
81 posts
24 upvotes
Ottawa
The 25' is also at a pretty good price right now ($638). Manufactured by LITE-ON, and has a nice thick cable. I'm happy with mine--it just works.

Just be aware that it has a NEMA 6-50P plug and not a 14-50P plug like many EVSEs. (That was an advantage for me, since I was able to run a 2-conductor (+ground) cable to the outlet instead of a 3-conductor cable.)
Mar 9, 2009
596 posts
174 upvotes
williamsauga wrote: will this works with Tesla?
You'll need one of Tesla's J1772 charging adapters, but yeah it would work.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
2661 posts
1815 upvotes
For those in Ontario, check autochargers.ca

They still have the 25% energy rebate.

The 25ft Grizzle charger with premium cable comes to 550 delivered.

It’s made in Canada, for Canada.

Highly recommended as the cable is much more flexible than the others. I have a juicebox, and the cable becomes ridiculously stiff in winter. Even now it’s hard to manipulate.

No problems so far with the grizzle premium cable.

Also, the grizzle charger qualifies for the QC EVSE rebates.
iamalittlepepper wrote: Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote: you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
2661 posts
1815 upvotes
iamalittlepepper wrote: Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote: you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
2661 posts
1815 upvotes
Also, the Grizzle is 40Amp, so if you vehicle supports it, you’d be able to charge it faster.
Sep 8, 2019
26 posts
30 upvotes
What's the point of this?

Just install a 14-50 outlet and plug your car in directly. This is like the worlds biggest more expensive dongle.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
2534 posts
528 upvotes
ap27 wrote: You'll need one of Tesla's J1772 charging adapters, but yeah it would work.
Which does come with Teslas
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
2661 posts
1815 upvotes
jackspratski wrote: What's the point of this?

Just install a 14-50 outlet and plug your car in directly. This is like the worlds biggest more expensive dongle.
???????? What on Earth are you talking about???????

Plug in your car directly to 14-50 outlet? Do you think EVs are welders???
Jun 20, 2012
46 posts
50 upvotes
Burnaby
Tesla’s come with a mobile charger that can handle up to 80 amps I believe. One just needs to buy the 14-50 adapter. I used mine to plug in at an rv site last summer to charge. Works great.
Jan 22, 2019
308 posts
231 upvotes
When EV shopping, I never realized most cars didn't come with Level 2 except Tesla.
May 19, 2017
47 posts
32 upvotes
I am a first-time EV buyer and will receive my model 3 in a couple of weeks. I have read mixed reviews of isntalling Nema 14 50 and using my mobile charger vs. wall charger. I have a max of 32 amps. Can I use teh Amazon or the Grizzle charger for my car.
Jan 7, 2020
42 posts
16 upvotes
shroffd899279656 wrote: I am a first-time EV buyer and will receive my model 3 in a couple of weeks. I have read mixed reviews of isntalling Nema 14 50 and using my mobile charger vs. wall charger. I have a max of 32 amps. Can I use teh Amazon or the Grizzle charger for my car.
You can, but if you have a Nema 14-50 in your garage, why purchase one of these when your Mobile connector works just fine? Just plug your mobile connector into the 14-50, and you will get 32 amps. No reason to buy one of these things, unless you want to keep the mobile connector in the car at all times in case of emergency.
Jan 7, 2020
42 posts
16 upvotes
swordofhumanity wrote: Tesla’s come with a mobile charger that can handle up to 80 amps I believe. One just needs to buy the 14-50 adapter. I used mine to plug in at an rv site last summer to charge. Works great.
New mobile chargers can only do 32. Old ones (first gen) used to do 40.
May 19, 2017
47 posts
32 upvotes
Cantona18 wrote: You can, but if you have a Nema 14-50 in your garage, why purchase one of these when your Mobile connector works just fine? Just plug your mobile connector into the 14-50, and you will get 32 amps. No reason to buy one of these things, unless you want to keep the mobile connector in the car at all times in case of emergency.
Thanks, many options make sit complex for new users. Is there any reference for installation charges, I have received quotes from authorized Tesla electricians but sounds super expensive.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1362 posts
1184 upvotes
Toronto
Cantona18 wrote: New mobile chargers can only do 32. Old ones (first gen) used to do 40.
That's ********. These things are just a fancy relay
Why on earth would they lower the ampacity?
Jul 13, 2018
129 posts
134 upvotes
My first thought was 'This is a very expensive phone charger" lol
Jan 7, 2020
42 posts
16 upvotes
cowbunpants wrote: That's ********. These things are just a fancy relay
Why on earth would they lower the ampacity?
Tesla ended up recalling all Gen 1 Mobile Chargers because they were overheating I believe.