Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

AmazonBasics AAA Ni-MH 800maH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries (8-Pack, Made in Japan) $12.99

Sep 29, 2010
276 posts
5927 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] AmazonBasics AAA Ni-MH 800maH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries (8-Pack, Made in Japan) $12.99

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00CWNMXQW

Another 20% off with prime. Lowest price these have gone I believe, same price when they were posted over a year ago here.
17 replies
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1164 posts
701 upvotes
Perth
They are actually even cheaper.
Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal: CDN$ 12.99
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 0.00
Prime Savings: -CDN$ 2.60
Total before tax: CDN$ 10.39
Estimated GST/HST: CDN$ 1.35
Estimated PST/RST/QST: CDN$ 0.00
Grand Total: CDN$ 11.74
Dec 17, 2006
567 posts
330 upvotes
Calgary
Are these better/worse/similar to eneloops?

Can be charged in the same charger?
Dec 12, 2012
337 posts
392 upvotes
Saskatchewan
cdogg26 wrote: Are these better/worse/similar to eneloops?

Can be charged in the same charger?
They should perform similar in terms of capacity of the regular white Eneloops. The mAh of the ones from Amazon appears to be nearly identical to Eneloops, which are made at the same factory. However, there doesn't appear to be any tests regarding the long-term low self discharge (LSD) when compared to newer generation of Eneloops (3rd generation+). There is some tests surrounding various Ni-MH on this website http://lygte-info.dk/

NiMH batteries can be charged on any NiCd or NiMH charger. There is a caveat is depending on the type of charging method and charger, as potentially over the long term it could reduce the capacity or LSD properties of the battery. Some examples are, charging too fast for the battery above 0.5A for AAA or 1A+ on AA, chargers that rely on termination of charge based on paired channels (one battery gets over-charged due to the other still needing to be fully charged up), or excessive trickle charging on timer based chargers (typically seen on older or overnight chargers).

I'd go out on a limb and say, NiMH batteries are an investment that you want to treat them properly to last you a long time, especially for the cost. Though, I have to say with the transition to FDK taking over the manufacturing of NiMH batteries coming out of Japan, Eneloop alternatives are getting cheaper to the point where they can be semi-disposable. Smart chargers, if you so desire to get one, can be expensive as you can potentially buy one to four additional packs of NiMH for one from a reputable manufacturer.
Last edited by SagaraS246 on Mar 2nd, 2017 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
1130 posts
424 upvotes
Oakville
Same amperage, although eneloops have superior life at 2,100 charge cycles compared to 1,000 for these.
Dec 17, 2006
567 posts
330 upvotes
Calgary
SagaraS246 wrote: They should perform similar in terms of capacity of the regular white Eneloops. The mAh of the ones from Amazon appears to be nearly identical to Eneloops, which are made at the same factory. However, there doesn't appear to be any tests regarding the long-term low self discharge (LSD) when compared to newer generation of Eneloops (3rd generation+). There some tests surrounding various Ni-MH on this website http://lygte-info.dk/

NiMH batteries can be charged on any NiCd or NiMH charger. There is a caveat is depending on the type of charging method and charger, as potentially over the long term it could reduce the capacity or LSD properties of the battery. Some examples are, charging too fast for the battery above 0.5A for AAA or 1A+ on AA, chargers that rely on termination of charge based on paired channels (one battery gets over-charged due to the other still needing to be fully charged up), or excessive trickle charging on timer based chargers (typically seen on older or overnight chargers).

I'd go out on a limb and say, NiMH batteries are an investment that you want to treat them properly to last you a long time, especially for the cost. Though, I have to say with the transition to FDK taking over the manufacturing of NiMH batteries coming out of Japan, Eneloop alternatives are getting cheaper to the point where they can be semi-disposable. Smart chargers, if you so desire to get one, can be expensive as you can potentially buy one to four additional packs of NiMH for one from a reputable manufacturer.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Really appreciate that.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
Damn, I just ordered the 12 pack for $16.99 a few days ago, as the 8-pack and 4-pack were not on sale. However, that 12-pack AAA is now $15.99, and as this thread says the 8-pack is now $12.99.
Sep 29, 2010
276 posts
5927 upvotes
EugW wrote: Damn, I just ordered the 12 pack for $16.99 a few days ago, as the 8-pack and 4-pack were not on sale. However, that 12-pack AAA is now $15.99, and as this thread says the 8-pack is now $12.99.
The 12-pack batteries are made in China I believe. The ones in this thread are made in Japan.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
EugW wrote: Damn, I just ordered the 12 pack for $16.99 a few days ago, as the 8-pack and 4-pack were not on sale. However, that 12-pack AAA is now $15.99, and as this thread says the 8-pack is now $12.99.
laggyshield wrote: The 12-pack batteries are made in China I believe. The ones in this thread are made in Japan.
Yes. 12 are Chinese made.
8 are Japanese.

I have both, and haven't compared them yet. But they seem running okay so far for a month or so
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1476 posts
473 upvotes
Halifax
Would the high capacity version be much better?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
Any AA deals?
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
4047 posts
3277 upvotes
Ottawa
konsensei wrote: Yes. 12 are Chinese made.
8 are Japanese.

I have both, and haven't compared them yet. But they seem running okay so far for a month or so
Good price on the MIJ ones.

I received the 12-pack MIC on Dec 27 last year for $16.99 and they didn't have any juice left after opening. Anyone else had the same issues? They were made in Sept 2016 so I'm quite disappointed. The Eneloops and Duracell LSD batteries that I bought all had some juice left after opening. I don't believe that the Amazon Basics MIC ones are anywhere near the quality of the MIJ ones. Let's see how long they'll retain the charge after I put them through a break-in cycle.
This is what they claim on the web site:
Pre-charged and prepared to use out of the pack
Extremely gradual self-discharge maintains 80% of capacity
Last edited by gumby on Mar 2nd, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
$17 with standard shipping, no prime discount.
Feb 17, 2017
171 posts
219 upvotes
Perfect timing!
Amazon Prime member since 2017
Nov 18, 2004
690 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
I purchased this in January. They delivered white, made in China AAAs. Was disappointed.
Jan 2, 2015
744 posts
902 upvotes
Montréal area
I recently order 2 packs of 4xaaa. Received some a white pack and a black pack. Each from Japan :)
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
3232 posts
2876 upvotes
GTA Ontario
barold wrote: I purchased this in January. They delivered white, made in China AAAs. Was disappointed.
Are you sure you ordered this one (the 8-pack)? And are you sure they're made in China? The reason I ask is that others say the 12-packs are made in China, and I myself ordered an 8-pack in December and got black label made in Japan, and last month a 4-pack and got white label made in Japan.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)