Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] AmazonBasics Refrigerator Water Filters (Basic: $16, Premium: $24)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2018 11:35 am
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1176 posts
523 upvotes
weedb0y wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 11:27 am
Or just dont replace yours. It wont filter but you can keep getting less than filtered water!
wearysky wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 11:32 am
That's what I did originally - but after a while, the water pressure coming out of the water dispenser drops significantly.
If you never use the water dispensing feature of your fridge, there is no need to replace these filters. Do I have that right?

We use a brita water filter and don't dispense water out of our fridge (have not used this feature since the fridge was purchased january 2018 yet the change filter light on the fridge keeps blinking)
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13072 posts
1418 upvotes
Mississauga
adilh53 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 11:36 am
If you never use the water dispensing feature of your fridge, there is no need to replace these filters. Do I have that right?

We use a brita water filter and don't dispense water out of our fridge (have not used this feature since the fridge was purchased january 2018 yet the change filter light on the fridge keeps blinking)
Yes, it does not impact your fridge's operations. This is only for water taste.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13072 posts
1418 upvotes
Mississauga
wearysky wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 11:32 am
That's what I did originally - but after a while, the water pressure coming out of the water dispenser drops significantly.
Funny -- my fridge originally came with a by-pass filter. I think I threw it out..
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16259 posts
6255 upvotes
Oakville
adilh53 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 11:36 am

Correct. Though if you have an icemaker in the fridge, it also uses the filters to filter the water used to make the ice.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1841 posts
1033 upvotes
Calgary
weedb0y wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 11:24 am
I saw theirs for $20 bucks for UKF8001 (for my kitchenaid), then noticed even a cheaper "Waterdrop" one for $11.99 bucks!!
Amazon has long had many other "no name" filters, but considering most of them are from China and there is absolutely 0 vetting of these companies (so they can make any claims they want) I have a personal rule to never buy anything consumable/injestable from these unknown brands. In the case of water filters, who knows if they actually perform the filtration they claim? Or worse, who knows if the ingredients/plastic enclosure contain cheap but toxic elements? And even if someone does go through the testing and finds out there's a problem, good luck contacting the 11-person operation (according to LinkedIn) of "Waterdrop" in "Qingdao, Shandong, China". When it comes to things like water filters I only trust companies that can be held accountable (like GE, HomeDepot, Amazon). Or I should say, *more likely* to be held accountable (sometimes even large corporations get away with poisoning people, i.e. Dupont).
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1342 posts
308 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
407user wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 9:56 am
This one:
https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-Repl ... tor+filter
says maytag but is the one the model number I purchase for my kitchenaid. I am going to give this one a try.
Awesome. That's the one I need. Good price. Amazon's been selling aftermarket brands for years, but some of them seem very shady and the brands always change.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
1186 posts
470 upvotes
Burnaby
gbill2004 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 11:18 am
Where can you get a bypass filter? How much are they?
wearysky wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 11:24 am
I bought mine from PartSelect.ca - cost me about $65 I think? There are probably cheaper options but I'd bought replacement parts from them before so I knew at least from them that it would fit.
Just buy the filter plug that was shipped with your fridge from Parts Select... everyone throws it away when you get the fridge to install the water filter. In BC we dont really need filters, our water is ridiculous clean and without all the added crap. They literally have advertisements on city vehicles promoting drinking tap water. I just threw the plug back in where the filter goes and not only do i get cold water but the flow increases without the filter too. Face Screaming In Fear
Deal Addict
May 24, 2011
1237 posts
280 upvotes
BC
hagbard wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 9:26 am
No Kitchenaid.
where's the best place for kitchenaid filters, aside from amazon??
"Shorty wanna be a thug" -2pac
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1841 posts
1033 upvotes
Calgary
jbone14 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 12:32 pm
Just buy the filter plug that was shipped with your fridge from Parts Select... everyone throws it away when you get the fridge to install the water filter. In BC we dont really need filters, our water is ridiculous clean and without all the added crap. They literally have advertisements on city vehicles promoting drinking tap water. I just threw the plug back in where the filter goes and not only do i get cold water but the flow increases without the filter too. Face Screaming In Fear
Keep in mind that a water filter also reduces scale buildup. Over time, not using a water filter will increase the wear and tear on your fridge. Then if a problem occurs the manufacturer will say the warranty is void because you didn't follow instructions in the manual.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1342 posts
308 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
jbone14 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 12:32 pm
I just use them to filter out the chlorine taste.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13072 posts
1418 upvotes
Mississauga
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 12:09 pm
Amazon has long had many other "no name" filters, but considering most of them are from China and there is absolutely 0 vetting of these companies (so they can make any claims they want) I have a personal rule to never buy anything consumable/injestable from these unknown brands. In the case of water filters, who knows if they actually perform the filtration they claim? Or worse, who knows if the ingredients/plastic enclosure contain cheap but toxic elements? And even if someone does go through the testing and finds out there's a problem, good luck contacting the 11-person operation (according to LinkedIn) of "Waterdrop" in "Qingdao, Shandong, China". When it comes to things like water filters I only trust companies that can be held accountable (like GE, HomeDepot, Amazon). Or I should say, *more likely* to be held accountable (sometimes even large corporations get away with poisoning people, i.e. Dupont).
Waterdrop sells everywhere -- from walmart to amazon to ebay to local stores. NSF 42 certified.

Seems to be UK based.

I'm sure they are all using Chinese manufacturers for these
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
1186 posts
470 upvotes
Burnaby
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 12:41 pm
Keep in mind that a water filter also reduces scale buildup. Over time, not using a water filter will increase the wear and tear on your fridge. Then if a problem occurs the manufacturer will say the warranty is void because you didn't follow instructions in the manual.
Like I said IN BC... scaling doesn't apply. We don't add things like flouride to our water, or require the use of softeners at all like many as you make your way East. Wont see an issue with scaling over the life of a fridge in BC.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
1186 posts
470 upvotes
Burnaby
caltran wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 12:55 pm
I just use them to filter out the chlorine taste.
In BC... at least in the multitudes of my travels throughout the province we don't seem to run into issues like chlorine taste unless your on treated water/well water.
Sep 28, 2009
128 posts
291 upvotes
jbone14 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 12:58 pm
Like I said IN BC... scaling doesn't apply. We don't add things like flouride to our water, or require the use of softeners at all like many as you make your way East. Wont see an issue with scaling over the life of a fridge in BC.
Good for fridges. Great news for dentists.
https://www.ada.org/en/public-programs/ ... ommunities