Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] AmazonBasics Refrigerator Water Filters (Basic: $16, Premium: $24)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2018 11:35 am
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11257 posts
5357 upvotes
Southern Ontario
xXKEIXx wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2018 2:19 pm
I just installed mine yesterday. It was spitting out black water for a good 2 minutes.......
That’s on the long end of normal but you’re supposed to run the filter until you don’t see any more carbon residue anyway.
Jun 14, 2011
232 posts
105 upvotes
Richmond Hill
AncasterRFD wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2018 2:34 pm
That’s on the long end of normal but you’re supposed to run the filter until you don’t see any more carbon residue anyway.
yeah the instructions said 15L, I went way past that. It was kinda gross.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2140 posts
436 upvotes
I installed mine (Samsung Premium). After filtering out the black stuff, I noticed for a day that there was leakage after I pulled the cup away. Not too much, maybe about 5 milliliters. For a period of a few days, gradually reduced to no leakage.

Water tastes the same as the OEM one.
Dec 21, 2004
649 posts
86 upvotes
jbone14 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 12:58 pm
Like I said IN BC... scaling doesn't apply. We don't add things like flouride to our water, or require the use of softeners at all like many as you make your way East. Wont see an issue with scaling over the life of a fridge in BC.
Not sure where you're getting our info from. http://yourwatermatters.com/vancouver-w ... tap-water/ This shows that our water is chlorinated.
This site from metro Vancouver also shows that we have re-chlorination stations: http://www.metrovancouver.org/services/ ... fault.aspx

Additionally, you are forgetting about all the old houses that have lead pipes etc. I for one live in a house that is over 50 years old and hasn't been updated. The water tastes like crap coming out of the pipes.

Just because there are ads saying drink our water doesn't mean that we don't need to filter it.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
1186 posts
470 upvotes
Burnaby
trader37 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2018 3:39 pm
Not sure where you're getting our info from. http://yourwatermatters.com/vancouver-w ... tap-water/ This shows that our water is chlorinated.
This site from metro Vancouver also shows that we have re-chlorination stations: http://www.metrovancouver.org/services/ ... fault.aspx

Additionally, you are forgetting about all the old houses that have lead pipes etc. I for one live in a house that is over 50 years old and hasn't been updated. The water tastes like crap coming out of the pipes.

Just because there are ads saying drink our water doesn't mean that we don't need to filter it.
If I had lead pipes, I would filter my water too... it would be foolish not to. I cant take yourwatermatters.com seriously considering it is in the business of selling you over priced extreme water filtration systems, entirely biased. Nobody said our water wasn't chlorinated or that you shouldn't filter your water... I said scaling is not a concern as we dont add flouride or use softeners and that most people wont find chlorination to be an issue with regards to taste. All true points.

Its personal preference whether you filter your water or not in the LMD, some areas are knowingly worse than others, clearly some people such as your self having lead pipes would be far more inclined to do so.
Dec 21, 2004
649 posts
86 upvotes
I wonder if someone is willing to take the hit and buy all three models of filters and see if there is actually a difference inside.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2015
2925 posts
2664 upvotes
Bought the premium filter for my Samsung fridge. Water flow is great if not better vs the OEM. Water taste is good as well, not sure if I can tell the true difference, but I would love to test the water of anyone can recommend a good tester kit for home use.
Sep 24, 2008
421 posts
97 upvotes
Oakville
TransporterSD wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 9:30 am
Bought the premium filter for my Samsung fridge. Water flow is great if not better vs the OEM. Water taste is good as well, not sure if I can tell the true difference, but I would love to test the water of anyone can recommend a good tester kit for home use.
Bought the Samsung premium filters also - works great - no leaks!
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2015
2925 posts
2664 upvotes
rfdnutz wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 9:56 am
Bought the Samsung premium filters also - works great - no leaks!
Yes no leaks, forgot to mention that.
Dec 31, 2009
94 posts
31 upvotes
I wanted to chime in about my experiences - have a 3 yr old Kitchenaid French door unit and have been buying the OEM model for years. It's been painfully slow with the filters the last two times to the point that your hand starts to hurt refilling a bottle!

So I looked at this thread and was considering the Amazon equivalent until I found these guys:
https://shop.swiftgreenfilters.com/

Amazon also sells them, but turns out you can buy direct from them and they are based out of Richmond, BC. Their prices are in CAD$ and cheaper than the Amazon prices and they offer three classes of filters from basic (which apparently Walmart also carries) all the way to their 'RX' type which is superior, it seems, to even the Amazon 'Premium' variety.

I bought a two-pack of their RX type last week and had it delivered to my GVRD home in 2 days for free. Installed the first one and immediately found the flow rate about 3x what it was with the other filters (and as good as the first day we had the fridge). Followed the pre-soak procedure and ran about 15L of water through after installation and am very pleased with the results. No black crud, no clouding, etc. Taste is as good as before but now I am not screaming in pain from having to push the darn button for 90s to fill a bottle.

BTW I am now on their mailing list and just saw they have a promo code for 15% off right now (wish I had waited until this week to order! :( ) of: "HALLOWEEN15" valid today until Nov 1 according to the email.
Dec 14, 2005
714 posts
141 upvotes
Mississauga
Has anybody found GE XWF filters anywhere? These are a newer type and so far I have found only the very expensive OEM ones available