Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

AmazonBasics Reusable Silicone Muffin/Cupcake Cups (47% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2021 4:38 pm
[OP]
Apr 10, 2011
838 posts
718 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] AmazonBasics Reusable Silicone Muffin/Cupcake Cups (47% off)

I was eyeing these before school started for my kid’s lunch. Useful to keep certain items separate from each other in his lunch box. Reviews seem good, overall. At this price I’ll try them out... (been searching at Dollarama and can’t seem to find the reusable ones, only paper).

24 for $8.38 (reg $15.91)
Or
12 for $5.79 (reg $10.99)
16 replies
Aug 13, 2020
433 posts
1394 upvotes
I have these and was really excited to try. They are awful. Stuff so easily sticks to them and you end up having to clean and scrub essentially 24 mini pans. Cool idea but these don’t work, which I’m guessing is the reason for this price
Nov 29, 2003
381 posts
367 upvotes
Mississauga
We bought some. Seemed like a great environmentally friendly idea, however, washing is a real pain. You either do it by hand and have to work at getting all the sticking crumbs out, or put it in the dishwasher and then only on the top cutlery rack (if you have one). If you put it in the other racks, they get thrown around in the dishwasher, turned upside down and fill with water unwashed or down into the bottom where the spray arm is and then your whole load doesn't get washed properly. Like all silicone products, they start to take on a soap taste after using soap on them. Paper muffin cups? A cheap minimal waste of paper that does a great job for the time and effort and performance with less soap and water used for washing each time. Just something to consider.
Aug 13, 2020
433 posts
1394 upvotes
Now that I’m thinking these would actually be awesome Christmas presents for people you hate at this price. Thanks OP.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1112 posts
2067 upvotes
Anything that flexible with so many edges cannot be nonstick because there are microtears that allow food to embed in the silicone. If it didn't have the ridges it would work 100%
May 8, 2013
61 posts
13 upvotes
As everyone has noted, these suck to clean. Get the OXO Good Grips ones, they are not cheap, but they work a lot better.
[OP]
Apr 10, 2011
838 posts
718 upvotes
Mlj223 wrote: Now that I’m thinking these would actually be awesome Christmas presents for people you hate at this price. Thanks OP.
Savage!
[OP]
Apr 10, 2011
838 posts
718 upvotes
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I cancelled my order for the 24 pack and re-ordered the 12 pack. Still want them for my sons lunches but I won’t use them for any actual baking.
Aug 13, 2020
433 posts
1394 upvotes
dealux wrote: As everyone has noted, these suck to clean. Get the OXO Good Grips ones, they are not cheap, but they work a lot better.
Good rule to live by IMO for all kitchen items lol
Nov 29, 2003
381 posts
367 upvotes
Mississauga
I think these will work just fine if you remember to line them with the paper muffin cups first.
Jul 3, 2017
167 posts
399 upvotes
gory33 wrote: I think these will work just fine if you remember to line them with the paper muffin cups first.
At that point why bother with silicone cups? Why not just use a steel pan?
Aug 13, 2020
433 posts
1394 upvotes
gory33 wrote: I think these will work just fine if you remember to line them with the paper muffin cups first.
What lol?
Nov 29, 2003
381 posts
367 upvotes
Mississauga
SamuelNapper wrote: At that point why bother with silicone cups? Why not just use a steel pan?
Sorry, I guess my attempt at humour unsuccessful. I also wouldn't use these without a muffin pan. They don't hold up well enough on their own. Some are made to be used on their own, like the pretty ones with designs like the one below, but not these cheap Amazon ones.
Mar 14, 2018
365 posts
400 upvotes
Can confirm they are a pain to wash, even with a toothbrush, if used for baking.

Can also confirm they’re great to put in lunch boxes, for the grapes/apple slices etc.
Dec 16, 2007
768 posts
305 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for the chuckle on those silicon “muffin tops” cups. Face With Tears Of Joy. Now I’m going to google this.
gory33 wrote: Sorry, I guess my attempt at humour unsuccessful. I also wouldn't use these without a muffin pan. They don't hold up well enough on their own. Some are made to be used on their own, like the pretty ones with designs like the one below, but not these cheap Amazon ones.
Jan 15, 2018
6 posts
8 upvotes
I use these for board games to separate out small components for more organized play.