Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

AmazonBasics Standby UPS 800VA 450W, 12 Outlets - $66.75 ($23, 26% off)

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3624 posts
7349 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] AmazonBasics Standby UPS 800VA 450W, 12 Outlets - $66.75 ($23, 26% off)

Amazon.ca currently has a sale on their AmazonBasics Standby UPS 800VA 450W Surge Protector Battery Backup, with 12 Outlets (6 surge, 6 surge and battery backup) for $66.75, $23.11 or 26% off its regular price of around $90.

These are decent if basic little inexpensive units that we use in our household for surge protection and some limited battery backup for our entertainment and smart home devices (TVs, Google Home's, soundbars, etc). While these are too small to run much for very long they at least provide a bit of time for our smart home devices to stay up during brown outs and other spikes, faults, etc. With it's decently spaced outlets these work well behind an entertainment unit in a family room, bedroom, etc.

From Amazon:

• Uninterruptible power supply (UPS) with 800VA / 450W battery backup; ideal for desktop computers, home networks, IoT devices, and home-entertainment devices
  • Simulated Sine Wave Output
  • 9Ah 12V SLA battery
  • Note: Please check the total device power consumption when applying battery backup outlet; for optimal system performance, keep the load below 80% of the unit's rated capacity.
  • 12 outlets total (NEMA 5-15R), consisting of 6 surge-protected outlets and 6 surge-protected/battery-backup outlets
  • 5-foot cord with NEMA 5-15P right angle and 45-degree offset plug (120V - 50Hz / 60Hz)
  • Small compact size for easily integrating into home or office environment
  • Backed by an AmazonBasics limited 1-year warranty, including the battery; $75,000 connected equipment guarantee; includes FREE AmazonBasics management software (download)
  • Power Management software is available for download

User manual:
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/C1sDsONElpS.pdf

Power Management software for Windows:
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/G/01/ ... ftware.exe

Power Management software for MacOS:
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/G/01/ ... ftware.dmg

81WQ4-hQ+HL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg
Last edited by Elrondolio on Jan 19th, 2022 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
64 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2017
1003 posts
2217 upvotes
lel
If ppl are downvoting, are there better products for this price?
Virgin $30 for $15 GB
Good toilet paper/paper towel deals
Aug 22, 2019
249 posts
204 upvotes
Belleville, Ontario
Was about to pull the trigger on this for my network devices etc.... but I am reading in some of the review that it doesn't auto start after the battery is depleted. You have to manually turn it back on. Can anyone confirm? Also, is there a comparable APC one that would have this feature? New to all of this.
Jul 11, 2004
289 posts
181 upvotes
Montreal
Can you silence/disable the audible alerts? Literally the only feature I look for in a UPS.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1156 posts
1637 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
DanC13127 wrote: Was about to pull the trigger on this for my network devices etc.... but I am reading in some of the review that it doesn't auto start after the battery is depleted. You have to manually turn it back on. Can anyone confirm? Also, is there a comparable APC one that would have this feature? New to all of this.
As far as I know no auto restart and no low battery warning. At least the battery can be replaced, but not knowing it's failed before an outage isn't any good either. I assume if you use this with the software it'll show battery life, but many use cases don't need software like a router setup or security cameras. My apc will chirp with a low battery not charging correctly.
Aug 22, 2019
249 posts
204 upvotes
Belleville, Ontario
Ruciz wrote: As far as I know no auto restart and no low battery warning. At least the battery can be replaced, but not knowing it's failed before an outage isn't any good either. I assume if you use this with the software it'll show battery life, but many use cases don't need software like a router setup or security cameras. My apc will chirp with a low battery not charging correctly.
Thanks. My concern was when I am away. If it's powering my modem/router etc I can't turn it back on so I would have zero access to the cameras until I get back to turn the unit back on,
Nov 30, 2006
67 posts
14 upvotes
DanC13127 wrote: Thanks. My concern was when I am away. If it's powering my modem/router etc I can't turn it back on so I would have zero access to the cameras until I get back to turn the unit back on,
Crap, this is a really good point. I guess you could plug it into a smartplug but that kind of defeats the purpose.
Aug 22, 2019
249 posts
204 upvotes
Belleville, Ontario
slickrick23 wrote: Crap, this is a really good point. I guess you could plug it into a smartplug but that kind of defeats the purpose.
Ha! All from experience. Right now I do have a smart plug to power cycle my modem in the middle of the night (I'm rural and it just helps) as there is no internal setting to do so. But, if I want to power it down via my phone during the day instead of manually doing it, I can only turn it off! Once the power is out to the modem there is no internet to turn it back on. D'oh!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
3630 posts
2560 upvotes
who makes this? Doesnt look like an APC rebranded one
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3807 posts
3837 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
No autostart makes it useless IMO, read some of the negative reviews before buying.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1156 posts
1637 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
DanC13127 wrote: Ha! All from experience. Right now I do have a smart plug to power cycle my modem in the middle of the night (I'm rural and it just helps) as there is no internal setting to do so. But, if I want to power it down via my phone during the day instead of manually doing it, I can only turn it off! Once the power is out to the modem there is no internet to turn it back on. D'oh!
You can't use any scripting on the plug? Tasmota ones will allow a schedule. Off 0200 on 0201 for instance.
Aug 22, 2019
249 posts
204 upvotes
Belleville, Ontario
Ruciz wrote: You can't use any scripting on the plug? Tasmota ones will allow a schedule. Off 0200 on 0201 for instance.
I do. It goes off and then back on in the middle of the night. Once it is programmed it doesn't matter if there is internet or not.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2020
1001 posts
4555 upvotes
Vancouver Island
DanC13127 wrote: Ha! All from experience. Right now I do have a smart plug to power cycle my modem in the middle of the night (I'm rural and it just helps) as there is no internal setting to do so. But, if I want to power it down via my phone during the day instead of manually doing it, I can only turn it off! Once the power is out to the modem there is no internet to turn it back on. D'oh!
I am rural also and I used to reboot my Shaw/TELUS routers and access points all the time as they would be glitchy but for about 2-3 years now, I haven't needed to. I guess the Consumer Electronics have caught up to Enterprise Electronics in certain terms.

Maybe you could use an LTE Modem with a $5.00 Tablet Addon SIM Card as an Internet Backup.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4013 posts
1111 upvotes
This is the cheapest UPS I've seen. I bet its probably as good as APC or other brands. Anyone have experience wit the Amazon brand for UOS?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2489 posts
3503 upvotes
GTA
evilYoda wrote: who makes this? Doesnt look like an APC rebranded one
Cyberpower makes some other AmazonBasics UPSes, not sure about this one.
AB ones tend to be older/defeatured versions of the CP UPSes based upon another thread.
Every UPS brand has both good and not so good cheap products, to appeal to all segments of the market.
Aug 22, 2019
249 posts
204 upvotes
Belleville, Ontario
IslandDeal wrote: I am rural also and I used to reboot my Shaw/TELUS routers and access points all the time as they would be glitchy but for about 2-3 years now, I haven't needed to. I guess the Consumer Electronics have caught up to Enterprise Electronics in certain terms.

Maybe you could use an LTE Modem with a $5.00 Tablet Addon SIM Card as an Internet Backup.
Currently with Xplornet. They have a box on the line that acts as a modem outside, so I just plug into my router directly. I just find that rebooting it helps refresh everything. I felt like I needed to at random before, every few days or once a week. So programming it to do it nightly just takes any thought out of it. Rogers is working in the area to bring newer technologies. Mapping out their wireless and fibre locally. So here's hoping they hit me with fibre.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1156 posts
1637 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
DanC13127 wrote: I do. It goes off and then back on in the middle of the night. Once it is programmed it doesn't matter if there is internet or not.
Sounds like just an extra step from the phone to reboot then.
Aug 22, 2019
249 posts
204 upvotes
Belleville, Ontario
Ruciz wrote: Sounds like just an extra step from the phone to reboot then.
The phone is only if I want to trigger a reboot outside of the programmed time. Rare if ever I have to do that now.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16220 posts
4647 upvotes
Toronto
The auto restart is not a big deal for me. What is a deal breaker is not having any notification that the battery is failing. My APC do a periodic self test and alert me of a possible faulty battery or condition so that I can review it before a power outage.

I have a few UPS' tucked around the house hooked up to computers, home electronics, etc. Having a UPS not work due to a bad battery (without any advance warning) is not something one wants to experience.

I'd wait for an APC unit to come on sale.
Last edited by hightech on Jan 12th, 2022 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 28, 2015
425 posts
387 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Would this be enough to run my fibre modem for a few hours?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)