Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

AmazonBasics Standby UPS 800VA 450W, 12 Outlets - $66.75 ($23, 26% off)

Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16209 posts
4631 upvotes
Toronto
mhall1 wrote: Would this be enough to run my fibre modem for a few hours?
What is the watt draw from the modem? This is 450 watts and if the modem draws 40 watts, you have several hours before it goes out on you.

That being said, the modem can be powered, but any electrical equipment to drive the signal from the provider to you might be out thus making it useless. If I have a power failure, my Rogers modem will be running, but the TAP outside my house does not have any power going to their broadcast amp so still no signal.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3803 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
hightech wrote: That being said, the modem can be powered, but any electrical equipment to drive the signal from the provider to you might be out thus making it useless. If I have a power failure, my Rogers modem will be running, but the TAP outside my house does not have any power going to their broadcast amp so still no signal.
Well that completely depends on how widespread the outage is and your specific location. Anecdotally as an opposite example every power failure I'd had as long as my modem has power I've had working internet.
Nov 25, 2018
77 posts
77 upvotes
evilYoda wrote: who makes this? Doesnt look like an APC rebranded one
The lowest possible bidder. Have a good fire time-to-response if you plan on using an AmazonBasics electrical device.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16918 posts
8969 upvotes
Ottawa
Guy wrote: Looks alot like the Cyberpower EC750G. Especially the location of the USB port on the lower shell.

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/produ ... ic/ec750g/

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/wp-co ... 750G_E.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41j ... SY780_.jpg

I would suspect the OEM is Cyberpower made to the Amazonbasic spec.
sure looks the same......and the dimensions are almost exactly the same, 310x80x178 and 310x79x178
(not sure why there is a 1mm difference)
<insert sig>
Oct 10, 2019
397 posts
385 upvotes
Isn't the issue with amazon version is that they have 1 yr warranty vs 3 yrs for APC?

I have the APC UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector with USB Charger, 600VA APC Back-UPS (BE600M1) ,

and actually, the power went out last night, I was on the battery of my laptop and the only thing on battery was my wifi router and my wifi router never lost connection/power for about 29 mins until the power came back on and there was no beeping, just flashing light.

so, so far the BE600M1 is highly recommended.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
11678 posts
5683 upvotes
I ordered this one and the 650 version. Wanted for our wifi modem and a cell phone booster. this 800 came DOA. Battery toast. The 650 works but dont think its what it should be as my cellphone booster drains it out in about 20 minutes. My cyberpower 800 will last 4 hours.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Jun 3, 2016
261 posts
141 upvotes
Ajax Ont.
IslandDeal wrote: I am rural also and I used to reboot my Shaw/TELUS routers and access points all the time as they would be glitchy but for about 2-3 years now, I haven't needed to. I guess the Consumer Electronics have caught up to Enterprise Electronics in certain terms.

Maybe you could use an LTE Modem with a $5.00 Tablet Addon SIM Card as an Internet Backup.

Excellent idea, however don't believe every router supports this usually the expensive ones do have this option.
With time, everything will go on sale...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
7371 posts
7557 upvotes
Thx @Elrondolio I just bought another one for family members who are stuck WFH and school.

I bought this same one in May 2019 via Amazon dot com when I had a GC. The sale price before GC was $56USD at the time. I paid ~$50 CAD after GC and taxes.

I just have a switch, desktop and monitor on it now. I have not needed it for any extended power outage, but a couple of times each year we have had a power loss for a fraction of a second. Enough time to shutdown monitors not connected to it. Each time, my desktop has remained running without any loss of information. This saved me at least once in 2021, so while the warranty may have expired, the battery was good enough to handle a blip in power.

Good enough for my needs.

We use this for the modem/router and AP, amazon-ca-amazonbasics-ups-400va-255w-4 ... #p34494256
Aug 22, 2019
249 posts
204 upvotes
Belleville, Ontario
FrankDracman wrote: Isn't the issue with amazon version is that they have 1 yr warranty vs 3 yrs for APC?

I have the APC UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector with USB Charger, 600VA APC Back-UPS (BE600M1) ,

and actually, the power went out last night, I was on the battery of my laptop and the only thing on battery was my wifi router and my wifi router never lost connection/power for about 29 mins until the power came back on and there was no beeping, just flashing light.

so, so far the BE600M1 is highly recommended.
Happy to hear. Thats the one I have earmarked to buy now. Once it goes on sale. Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3580 posts
7253 upvotes
Chaseme wrote: Can you silence/disable the audible alerts? Literally the only feature I look for in a UPS.
Yes.

I'm not sure why people are responding that this unit can't, but it can. When the battery gets low the alarm sounds as normal as well but you can disable this feature (it also sounds at other times as most UPS's, but again, this can be disabled). I've had 2 power losses in the past year of more than a few hours and each of these powered my devices back up when power was restored without issue (and recharged the internal battery, of course).

I have a larger pure sine wave APC unit to keep my router, cable modem and Synology running (among other sensitive equipment) but these little AmazonBasic units have done well for their intended surge protection and limited battery backup uses near entertainment units in my home.

From the manual (linked on the front page):

Screenshot-2022-01-12_195351.png
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
10587 posts
4552 upvotes
Mississauga
Almost pulled the trigger to have backup for the modem and router, but then I realized my running a mesh system complicates matters because I would need UPS for the mesh units, but they are tiny and hang off the outlet. So can't have a UPS attached to them. Boooooo.
Nov 24, 2013
215 posts
142 upvotes
Burnaby
Manual doesn't provide instructions on how to replace the battery. Anyone know what batteries this takes? Mostly curious if I can use this upright without damaging the battery.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3580 posts
7253 upvotes
digitalpixies wrote: Manual doesn't provide instructions on how to replace the battery. Anyone know what batteries this takes? Mostly curious if I can use this upright without damaging the battery.
These contain SLA batteries (Sealed Lead Acid) and the unit can be mounted vertically on the wall. Here is an example of a replacement battery for this unit:

https://www.upsbatterycenter.ca/amazon- ... nt-battery

amazonbasics-abst800-800va-450w-12-outlet-ups-compatible-replacement-battery[1].jpg
Last edited by Elrondolio on Feb 21st, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3580 posts
7253 upvotes
MrMom wrote: Thx @Elrondolio I just bought another one for family members who are stuck WFH and school.

I bought this same one in May 2019 via Amazon dot com when I had a GC. The sale price before GC was $56USD at the time. I paid ~$50 CAD after GC and taxes.

I just have a switch, desktop and monitor on it now. I have not needed it for any extended power outage, but a couple of times each year we have had a power loss for a fraction of a second. Enough time to shutdown monitors not connected to it. Each time, my desktop has remained running without any loss of information. This saved me at least once in 2021, so while the warranty may have expired, the battery was good enough to handle a blip in power.

Good enough for my needs.

We use this for the modem/router and AP, amazon-ca-amazonbasics-ups-400va-255w-4 ... #p34494256
You're welcome. These are decent little units for the right uses at this cheap price for sure. All the best.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3580 posts
7253 upvotes
For anyone interested, the price on this UPS dropped further today to $66.75 or 26% off from it's previous sale of $74 or 21% off.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
3169 posts
1600 upvotes
Ottawa
What is the auto-restart feature that people are talking about?

How is it actually supposed to work with having auto-restart vs not having it?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3580 posts
7253 upvotes
eugene188 wrote: What is the auto-restart feature that people are talking about?

How is it actually supposed to work with having auto-restart vs not having it?
Auto restart means when you have a power outage and this unit kicks in and keeps your equipment running until it's internal battery full drains and your equipment is finally turned off, when the power comes back on auto-restart would power your equipment back up automatically. Some people have evidently had issues with this or variants of this unit needing a manual press of its "power" button to power it back up after an outage instead of it doing so automatically.

For whatever reason I have three of these and they've all powered back up without intervention after long power outages (2 separate events). So, be aware that some of these may and some of these may not auto-restart and thus might require a press of the power button to turn everything back on after an outage.
Mar 17, 2018
42 posts
61 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: sure looks the same......and the dimensions are almost exactly the same, 310x80x178 and 310x79x178
(not sure why there is a 1mm difference)
It is that unit - you can download the software for it from the Cyberpower website and it works fine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3580 posts
7253 upvotes
JohnK28 wrote: It is that unit - you can download the software for it from the Cyberpower website and it works fine.
I too can confirm that PowerPanel v2.3.4 for Windows works fine on these and has more features. Linux (different varieties) and Mac versions are also available on their Download tab.

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/produ ... ic/ec750g/