Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

AmazonBasics Standby UPS 800VA 450W, 12 Outlets - $66.75 ($23, 26% off)

Nov 6, 2014
507 posts
408 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Just ordered, delivery estimated as late February/early March. Does not jive with listing. Just FYI.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3627 posts
7370 upvotes
Bluiis48 wrote: Just ordered, delivery estimated as late February/early March. Does not jive with listing. Just FYI.
I'm now seeing delivery estimate as:

"FREE Prime delivery February 12 - March 2"

I didn't order any of these this time around but I do have a bunch of other outstanding Amazon orders that have been pushed for weeks now. Omicron and the extreme weather throughout north America are really messing with Amazon deliveries the past month or so, of all kinds, mainly from Canada Post to me (I have other much delayed deliveries from other companies from UPS and FedEx as well).
Nov 25, 2007
285 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP!

FYI, if you have a Amazon Business account, the delivery is faster. I just ordered one, and the ETA is Jan 28.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3627 posts
7370 upvotes
raptorsfans wrote: Thanks OP!

FYI, if you have a Amazon Business account, the delivery is faster. I just ordered one, and the ETA is Jan 28.
Thanks for the heads up. Have never created a business account there but will now (not for this specific reason, just never got around to it). All the best.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
3179 posts
1617 upvotes
Ottawa
Elrondolio wrote: Auto restart means when you have a power outage and this unit kicks in and keeps your equipment running until it's internal battery full drains and your equipment is finally turned off, when the power comes back on auto-restart would power your equipment back up automatically. Some people have evidently had issues with this or variants of this unit needing a manual press of its "power" button to power it back up after an outage instead of it doing so automatically.

For whatever reason I have three of these and they've all powered back up without intervention after long power outages (2 separate events). So, be aware that some of these may and some of these may not auto-restart and thus might require a press of the power button to turn everything back on after an outage.
lol. seems like NOT having an auto-restart feature would be a no go on any UPS. Can't believe they even have to call this a feature tho as it should just happen.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
7423 posts
7664 upvotes
Purchased Wed Jan 12th, 2022 1:18 pm, the expected no charge delivery date was Jan 25, but it was delivered on the 19th, even with the snow storm around the GTA on the 17th. The actual delivery date maybe sooner than indicated. Not a Prime member.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4011 posts
1750 upvotes
Thornhill
theredbaron wrote: How does this compare to this one from costco: https://www.costco.ca/apc-bn450m-ca-bac ... 44372.html
Do note that the APC model above is not designed to allow users to replace the battery. There is no battery compartment cover to open.
You can still replace the battery yourself by opening the bottom cover and taking it apart.
It does have 3 year warranty and Costco warranty.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
18658 posts
5442 upvotes
Scarberia
So no auto restart? Deal breaker huh
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1467 posts
820 upvotes
GTA
Elrondolio wrote: Auto restart means when you have a power outage and this unit kicks in and keeps your equipment running until it's internal battery full drains and your equipment is finally turned off, when the power comes back on auto-restart would power your equipment back up automatically. Some people have evidently had issues with this or variants of this unit needing a manual press of its "power" button to power it back up after an outage instead of it doing so automatically.

For whatever reason I have three of these and they've all powered back up without intervention after long power outages (2 separate events). So, be aware that some of these may and some of these may not auto-restart and thus might require a press of the power button to turn everything back on after an outage.
I used to have this issue with my cyberpower, turns out the battery was in bad health and it being completely dead was warranted for you to go near it if you had to turn it on and force you to check.
Oct 19, 2003
308 posts
93 upvotes
Besides the missing auto restart feature... Is this good enough for a PC, two monitors and it's accessories for 10 min of usage. Not running crysis.
May 15, 2008
133 posts
79 upvotes
Mississauga
damn, this deal is too good. hope it comes back.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2943 posts
1245 upvotes
GTA
hightech wrote: What is the watt draw from the modem? This is 450 watts and if the modem draws 40 watts, you have several hours before it goes out on you.

That being said, the modem can be powered, but any electrical equipment to drive the signal from the provider to you might be out thus making it useless. If I have a power failure, my Rogers modem will be running, but the TAP outside my house does not have any power going to their broadcast amp so still no signal.
The load rating is different than the battery runtime.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7854 posts
8017 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: So no auto restart? Deal breaker huh
Honestly seems like a design flaw to me, I can't believe they'd release a UPS that didn't start up after going completely flat.
Nov 24, 2017
99 posts
129 upvotes
Lower Mainland, BC
hightech wrote: What is the watt draw from the modem? This is 450 watts and if the modem draws 40 watts, you have several hours before it goes out on you.

That being said, the modem can be powered, but any electrical equipment to drive the signal from the provider to you might be out thus making it useless. If I have a power failure, my Rogers modem will be running, but the TAP outside my house does not have any power going to their broadcast amp so still no signal.
The 450 W rating is the maximum load that the UPS can supply (although to be safe, I wouldn't run it within 20% of the maximum rating as per the OP). Inside the UPS is a 12 V 9 Ah lead acid battery, or 108 Wh (12 V * 9 Ah). So in that example, a modem that draws 40 W will be able to run for 2.7 hours (108 Wh/40 W). This is simplified; in the real world, you'd also need to take into consideration the efficiency of the inverter that's inverting the 12 VDC of the lead acid battery to the 120 VAC on the outlets, so you'd get less than 2.7 hours out of the UPS in the above scenario.

Watts (W) is a rate of power consumption, while Watt-hour (Wh) is a measure of capacity. If we imagine a hose filling a bucket with water, the size of the bucket is akin to the "Watt-hour", while "Watts" is the volume of water flowing past the tip of the hose every second.

The Volt-Amp (VA) value is related to Watts, but it's a bit more complicated; Watts is real power while Volt-Amps is apparent power (real power + reactive power)... not as important for this discussion, but see here if you're interested in that too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3627 posts
7370 upvotes
Alenux55 wrote: The 450 W rating is the maximum load that the UPS can supply (although to be safe, I wouldn't run it within 20% of the maximum rating as per the OP). Inside the UPS is a 12 V 9 Ah lead acid battery, or 108 Wh (12 V * 9 Ah). So in that example, a modem that draws 40 W will be able to run for 2.7 hours (108 Wh/40 W). This is simplified; in the real world, you'd also need to take into consideration the efficiency of the inverter that's inverting the 12 VDC of the lead acid battery to the 120 VAC on the outlets, so you'd get less than 2.7 hours out of the UPS in the above scenario.

Watts (W) is a rate of power consumption, while Watt-hour (Wh) is a measure of capacity. If we imagine a hose filling a bucket with water, the size of the bucket is akin to the "Watt-hour", while "Watts" is the volume of water flowing past the tip of the hose every second.

The Volt-Amp (VA) value is related to Watts, but it's a bit more complicated; Watts is real power while Volt-Amps is apparent power (real power + reactive power)... not as important for this discussion, but see here if you're interested in that too.
Nice writeup. Exactly why I love RFD and all the knowledge from it's many users so generously shared with each other. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
3183 posts
996 upvotes
Toronto
I don't want to support Amazon's undercutting of popular products by manufacturing them cheaper (internal parts wise) or selling them at a loss to kill competition.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
3627 posts
7370 upvotes
Super_Chicken wrote: I don't want to support Amazon's undercutting of popular products by manufacturing them cheaper (internal parts wise) or selling them at a loss to kill competition.
What? Every major retailer in the world has manufacturer's design and sell their items under non-OEM brand names for less. From Walmart to Costco to Home Depot to Home Hardware to Best Buy to ... well, you name it they do it and sell it. I fully understand the reluctance to support Amazon due to their terrible employee pay and lack of job security/pension/benefits among other reasons but the argument you made above doesn't make a lot of sense to me as this is standard practice literally across the industry and in just about every chain store in existence. Hell even Radio Shack (ahem... The Source) has been doing this for over 50 years.
Last edited by Elrondolio on Jan 25th, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.