AmazonBasics UPS 400VA/255W - $46.66

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2021 11:52 pm
[OP]
Mar 27, 2021
251 posts
331 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] AmazonBasics UPS 400VA/255W - $46.66

Not as good as finding APC's version at Staples for $35-39 and CyberPower has a better one for just $10-15 more, but decent deal for bottom of barrel UPS for backing up not so expensive/critical things like modem, router, security cameras.

Everyone should have one for their modem, router/wifi, if you're working/schooling from home. Gives you at least 20-40 minutes to tell everyone your power went out and wrapping up your work.
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
40 replies
Feb 14, 2006
858 posts
996 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
Does not auto restart after an outage. Reviews seem to say there it's no actual warranty for equipment protection either. Also not seeing a user replaceable battery. Guess i'm spending more $$$
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16460 posts
2867 upvotes
GTA
Jesus they won't not put their name on anything eh?
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15838 posts
7392 upvotes
Ottawa
Ideally if you have a computer or NAS, you want one with a USB connection so the device can shut itself down when it goes on battery power. This one doesn't have the feature, but the more expensive ones do. I guess this might be good for a router
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
May 14, 2008
438 posts
242 upvotes
Ruciz wrote: Does not auto restart after an outage. Reviews seem to say there it's no actual warranty for equipment protection either. Also not seeing a user replaceable battery. Guess i'm spending more $$$
The last bullet point : Backed by an AmazonBasics limited 1-year warranty, including the battery; $75,000 connected equipment guarantee
Never surf the web unarmed!
Aug 30, 2019
931 posts
723 upvotes
Brampton
actng wrote: Jesus they won't not put their name on anything eh?
If you go to Shenzhen china you can have products under your name as well.
Feb 14, 2006
858 posts
996 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
el_pablo wrote: The last bullet point : Backed by an AmazonBasics limited 1-year warranty, including the battery; $75,000 connected equipment guarantee
True. The long review shows how poorly that functions in practice. Looks like quite a run around
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4750 posts
887 upvotes
SK
Any way to turn off the audible beep since there is no software management for this unit?
I know when my power is out and if this is in the basement with the gateway and router it’s a pain to shut it up. I got rid of my APC unit because of that and the fact I didn’t want to open it up and cut the buzzer.
shopper-X
[OP]
Mar 27, 2021
251 posts
331 upvotes
Ruciz wrote: True. The long review shows how poorly that functions in practice. Looks like quite a run around
I do not plan on plugging anything expensive into this just modem and a router, for my computers and anything worth over $100 i'm going to stick with APC.

This is bottom of barrel however..............that lack of auto-restart is a deal breaker. Cancelling order!
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
Dec 27, 2008
463 posts
362 upvotes
Although I understand that buying used is not everyone's cup of tea, I personally get my UPSes refurbished from Excess UPS. I personally would not purchase a UPS without a replaceable battery. You can get nice APC units for around this price from a potentially more reliable manufacturer.
May 10, 2006
113 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
djzapz wrote: Although I understand that buying used is not everyone's cup of tea, I personally get my UPSes refurbished from Excess UPS. I personally would not purchase a UPS without a replaceable battery. You can get nice APC units for around this price from a potentially more reliable manufacturer.
Ditto, as tempting as this is, you can buy used for a similar price and have replaceable batteries instead of this throwaway unit.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
4132 posts
3638 upvotes
No Bum Deals
When it comes to Amazon Basics, I tend to shy away from anything electronic that plugs in.
Fake, inflated, paid, and other forms of scammy news and reviews run rampant. A world drenched in online deceit, spiraling into oblivion.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
2018 posts
792 upvotes
Which one is the Cyber power one for $10-15 more?

TIA
Jan 28, 2021
152 posts
372 upvotes
Little Portugal
um... pass because of Amazon basic
Nov 12, 2019
230 posts
797 upvotes
actng wrote: Jesus they won't not put their name on anything eh?
Came to say exactly this lol!
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1737 posts
1665 upvotes
Hope whoever is making these for Amazon gets their s##t together as those are some god awful reviews.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1596 posts
927 upvotes
Where can you get batteries for this?

For low wattage use, I don't think you can beat this price.
Aug 22, 2012
403 posts
379 upvotes
I won't be buying this, but what would be the minimum specs to run a 55" tv, Xbox Series X or ps4, and internet modem for ~5 minutes?
Dec 26, 2015
465 posts
370 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
brampton90 wrote: If you go to Shenzhen china you can have products under your name as well.
Or you may get arrested for international spying . Hindsight this is better lol