Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

AmazonBasics UPS 400VA/255W - $46.66

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2021 11:52 pm
Oct 29, 2010
471 posts
723 upvotes
Quebec
Got a cyberpower LE100DG 2 years ago for less than 100$, no complain, Get something with replaceable battery.
I wouldnt go under 750VA.
Aug 17, 2006
546 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto
djzapz wrote: Although I understand that buying used is not everyone's cup of tea, I personally get my UPSes refurbished from Excess UPS. I personally would not purchase a UPS without a replaceable battery. You can get nice APC units for around this price from a potentially more reliable manufacturer.
How's your experience with Excess UPS? Units reliable? How's the battery life? Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
8974 posts
10124 upvotes
I bought a AmazonBasics 800VA in the U.S. 2 years ago to the day and it's saved my work a few times. It's still running fine. I have not seen it offered since. I would go with a larger capacity UPS than the one posted here, but if this suits your needs, like for a student doing school work, this might suit. I also picked up a CyberPower SX950U during a Staples sale (~$75) over the past Christmas holidays.
[OP]
Mar 27, 2021
389 posts
474 upvotes
Enforcer22 wrote: I won't be buying this, but what would be the minimum specs to run a 55" tv, Xbox Series X or ps4, and internet modem for ~5 minutes?
Consoles are almost like PCs in power draw, a good 250-350watts. TV's are 30-100watts, modem routers are 50-100watts. At minimum a 500watt unit to be safe.
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
Mar 29, 2019
532 posts
662 upvotes
Could these be plugged into a surge protector too or do they have to go directly into an outlet?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1793 posts
1698 upvotes
restartRFD wrote: Consoles are almost like PCs in power draw, a good 250-350watts. TV's are 30-100watts, modem routers are 50-100watts. At minimum a 500watt unit to be safe.
Yeah one of the big negative reviews on this was some guy trying to run a big screen TV / PS4 on it and upset that it only lasted a few minutes ... I thought it was pretty funny lol
Oct 10, 2019
481 posts
477 upvotes
djzapz wrote: Although I understand that buying used is not everyone's cup of tea, I personally get my UPSes refurbished from Excess UPS. I personally would not purchase a UPS without a replaceable battery. You can get nice APC units for around this price from a potentially more reliable manufacturer.
They are in the US. So, dollar conversion, shipping and duties will be added?
Do you have an example of the final cost of an order you did?
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10006 posts
2841 upvotes
Montreal
Enforcer22 wrote: I won't be buying this, but what would be the minimum specs to run a 55" tv, Xbox Series X or ps4, and internet modem for ~5 minutes?
This will run a Xbox Series X for like 60 seconds if you are lucky LOL, it's so low..it's meant for an Internet MODEM.

Total up the load of all your devices and put it into here to see which model is enough:
https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/tools/runtimes/
Dec 27, 2008
650 posts
617 upvotes
tweep0 wrote: How's your experience with Excess UPS? Units reliable? How's the battery life? Thanks!
My experience with them has been great. I've bought 3 APC units ranging from 600VA to 1300VA from them and the batteries have lasted as long as OEM so far. On one occasion, I ordered one of those units for my NAS and it didn't come with the weird RJ45 to USB cable that allows the UPS to send a the signal to my NAS to safely shut down during a power outage and they just shipped the cable out free of charge. It was a cheap unit too so shipping that out certainly dug into their profit margin on that order.
FrankDracman wrote: They are in the US. So, dollar conversion, shipping and duties will be added?
Do you have an example of the final cost of an order you did?
They have a location in Toronto. You can see the region selection at the top left of their website.
https://excessups.ca/
Aug 31, 2003
865 posts
295 upvotes
White Rock, BC
Thanks - I just did this for my router...have a smaller one in my office for my PC/monitors...
Apr 12, 2013
718 posts
668 upvotes
BC
Given Amazon's abuse of sales data and ripping off vendors products I'm staying away from Amazon lines. That and it's not very good.
Aug 9, 2013
495 posts
498 upvotes
Mississauga
Be careful....my 255 watt UPS at work is OK but if the entire system shuts off, it won't power up because of the instant higher load of the surveillance cameras.

To explain...when the nvr goes out, it cycles through the cameras and trips off the UPS. When running it draws 50 watts, but start up, it draws a peak of 500 watts and trips off the UPS. Now I have to buy a much larger one.

If you have a power meter, check your peak draw. Better to find out now and not in a power failure.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2002
1269 posts
796 upvotes
GTA
Best place for 12 7AH SLA batteries anyone? I used to get them for $20 at UPSbatterycenter but now they're up to $30. Which is the same as Princess Auto...
Nov 1, 2016
164 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
I think those are manufactured by Cyberpower with cutting the auto restart feature away? I think the quality is still there.

Still a good option for very light UPS/non-critical use. Just enough time for you to save the file.
You really can't expect 400VA would provide much use time+it doesn't have USB communication feature.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11584 posts
3978 upvotes
Winnipeg
Ruciz wrote: Does not auto restart after an outage. Reviews seem to say there it's no actual warranty for equipment protection either. Also not seeing a user replaceable battery. Guess i'm spending more $$$
that size and shape? I wager its +50 if you could change the battery.Some of the those very small ups just don't merit the expense to change the battery and the price competes against it anyway.
Feb 9, 2008
407 posts
329 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
egdeen wrote: I think those are manufactured by Cyberpower with cutting the auto restart feature away? I think the quality is still there.

Still a good option for very light UPS/non-critical use. Just enough time for you to save the file.
You really can't expect 400VA would provide much use time+it doesn't have USB communication feature.
The 1000 and 1500 VA ones are Cyberpower but I don't think these cheaper ones are.
Those 2 mention PowerPanel software in the description and look like Cyberpower UPS.
These cheaper ones look like toys and seem to have their own management software.
Oct 10, 2019
481 posts
477 upvotes
djzapz wrote: My experience with them has been great. I've bought 3 APC units ranging from 600VA to 1300VA from them and the batteries have lasted as long as OEM so far. On one occasion, I ordered one of those units for my NAS and it didn't come with the weird RJ45 to USB cable that allows the UPS to send a the signal to my NAS to safely shut down during a power outage and they just shipped the cable out free of charge. It was a cheap unit too so shipping that out certainly dug into their profit margin on that order.

They have a location in Toronto. You can see the region selection at the top left of their website.
https://excessups.ca/
Ohhh OK, great, thanks!!!!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)