Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

AMD 5900x - $706.17

• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2021 7:07 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
4912 posts
4932 upvotes
Ontario
sswilson wrote: Or a decent B550 would do the trick. All the same features as X570 with the only real difference being a lower number of lanes so it's only an issue if you plan to populate more than one PCIe X16/8 slot at which time they start turning off sata ports and/or downgrading the second NVMe slot. (I grabbed a B550 Tomahawk during the lead up to christmas and have been more than happy with it).
Yeah I went with a x570 fo my Server a good year ago for the 3900x, though that was a cheaper one and kind of a cheaper time haha. I doubt I would use all the PCI channel's and such, but I do tend to use more heavy stuff as I do rendering / encoding and like adding stuff into my system. My biggest need this time around is getting more M.2 Slots :) Though I guess I could look into a PCI Card for that.
---
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2017
1972 posts
2110 upvotes
Moncton
kanechart wrote: Yeah I went with a x570 fo my Server a good year ago for the 3900x, though that was a cheaper one and kind of a cheaper time haha. I doubt I would use all the PCI channel's and such, but I do tend to use more heavy stuff as I do rendering / encoding and like adding stuff into my system. My biggest need this time around is getting more M.2 Slots :) Though I guess I could look into a PCI Card for that.
Not sure if you missed my edit or not.... critical part if you're going for a 5XXX processor is to ensure the board you grab has a cpu-less flash function. (Although I suppose you could pull the 3900X if you absolutely had to).

For memory, the target for Ryzen is 4 ranks total, so dual rank sticks if you're only populating 2 slots or single rank sticks if you're going to populate all 4. Depending on how much memory you're going for that's getting harder every day as manufacturers have been moving their 16GB sticks from dual rank to single rank so you'd need to get 4X16 in order to hit the 4 rank total target.
Koodo 33GB UL T&T @ $48 (waiting on my tab to switch to a better/cheaper plan)
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
4912 posts
4932 upvotes
Ontario
sswilson wrote: Not sure if you missed my edit or not.... critical part if you're going for a 5XXX processor is to ensure the board you grab has a cpu-less flash function. (Although I suppose you could pull the 3900X if you absolutely had to).

For memory, the target for Ryzen is 4 ranks total, so dual rank sticks if you're only populating 2 slots or single rank sticks if you're going to populate all 4. Depending on how much memory you're going for that's getting harder every day as manufacturers have been moving their 16GB sticks from dual rank to single rank so you'd need to get 4X16 in order to hit the 4 rank total target.
Thanks, yeah the new MB will have the cpuless flash option I did check.

Now the Ram part sorry I'm a bit old here and not keeping up anymore. So When I bought say Ram I always go for dual channel so 2 sticks or if I wanted say 4 Sticks I would just put 4 of the dual sticks into it. Am I suppose to be doing something else now? I was a bit confused on the single option.

That being said I will probably stick to 2x32GB it's more for gutting it down the road and using it for a server and throwing another 2x32 down the road. I tend to recycle it into servers hehe.
---
Dec 13, 2013
70 posts
78 upvotes
Ottawa
I own this CPU, picked it up when it launched. It's phenomenal. Alongside a good motherboard (I have an MSI B550M Mortar) and a solid cooler (I have a Cooler Master AIO), it runs extremely well. I was able to undervolt it with Precision Boost Overdrive with a magnitude of 15, and it runs incredible cool, even with maxed out Cyberpunk 2077 or COD:CW.
Boycott Tim Hortons, Subway, Rogers, Starbucks
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2019
1075 posts
3046 upvotes
kanechart wrote: Thanks I see a decent Tomahawk one for $300, not so much Asus, but prob out of stock as I'm just checking on Amazon.
The whole Tomahawk series is so good and very popular. Don't think you will have any problems with it.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2017
1972 posts
2110 upvotes
Moncton
kanechart wrote: Thanks, yeah the new MB will have the cpuless flash option I did check.

Now the Ram part sorry I'm a bit old here and not keeping up anymore. So When I bought say Ram I always go for dual channel so 2 sticks or if I wanted say 4 Sticks I would just put 4 of the dual sticks into it. Am I suppose to be doing something else now? I was a bit confused on the single option.

That being said I will probably stick to 2x32GB it's more for gutting it down the road and using it for a server and throwing another 2x32 down the road. I tend to recycle it into servers hehe.
Heh.... yeah, they've added an extra data point to the mix. :)

Dual Rank as opposed to Dual Channel. :)

Dual/Single rank typically refers to whether or not the individual stick has ram chips on a single side, or has them populated on both sides (although I'm not even sure if that still holds true). Single side would be Single Rank, both sides would be Dual Rank. Ryzen processors do better when they've got a total of 4 Ranks so you'd be better off with either 2XDual Rank, or 4XSingle Rank.

When we first started paying attention to this for Ryzen pretty much all 2X8GB sets had 8GB on one side of each stick, while 2X16GB sticks were typically manufactured with 8GB on each side of the individual sticks to make up 16GB (and thus were dual Rank). That's unfortunately changed over the last 4+ months with a lot of manufacturers moving to populating 16GB on single sides so the 2X16 kits are for the most part single ranked now.

That said.... if you're going for a 2X32GB kit there's a very good chance that any kit you grab will be dual ranked so you'll be good to go. If you're shooting for best performance try to find a 3600 speed set and you'll be fine.

Screenshot 2021-05-13 201119.png

Doesn't help you while you're shopping, but if you want to check your memory for single/dual rank it's listed under CPU-Z's SPD tab.
Koodo 33GB UL T&T @ $48 (waiting on my tab to switch to a better/cheaper plan)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7813 posts
852 upvotes
Vancouver
I see it now at 741 in stock by June 4th w delivery up to June 25th that's a ways away, sure it will be this price again or closer to availability date w a quick delivery?
How can I be broke when I am saving so much?
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5345 posts
7971 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Cisco KId wrote: I see it now at 741 in stock by June 4th w delivery up to June 25th that's a ways away, sure it will be this price again or closer to availability date w a quick delivery?
Buy it when it's available. Amazon will ship when it's available
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2368 posts
937 upvotes
Ottawa
The 3900x I have is already fast enough..... The 3900x I have is already fast enough..... The 3900x I have is already fast enough.....

Must resist.,...
Apr 27, 2011
219 posts
163 upvotes
Montreal
Rudy wrote: The 3900x I have is already fast enough..... The 3900x I have is already fast enough..... The 3900x I have is already fast enough.....

Must resist.,...
Yes, resist, and leave it to me. (I just ordered one, and I too am on a Ryzen 9 3900x lol)
~ Meru Meru ~
Deal Guru
Sep 13, 2007
11105 posts
6746 upvotes
Toronto
Rudy wrote: The 3900x I have is already fast enough..... The 3900x I have is already fast enough..... The 3900x I have is already fast enough.....

Must resist.,...
Buy now think later
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
4912 posts
4932 upvotes
Ontario
quantman wrote: The whole Tomahawk series is so good and very popular. Don't think you will have any problems with it.
Thanks mate!

sswilson wrote: Heh.... yeah, they've added an extra data point to the mix. :)

Dual Rank as opposed to Dual Channel. :)

Dual/Single rank typically refers to whether or not the individual stick has ram chips on a single side, or has them populated on both sides (although I'm not even sure if that still holds true). Single side would be Single Rank, both sides would be Dual Rank. Ryzen processors do better when they've got a total of 4 Ranks so you'd be better off with either 2XDual Rank, or 4XSingle Rank.

When we first started paying attention to this for Ryzen pretty much all 2X8GB sets had 8GB on one side of each stick, while 2X16GB sticks were typically manufactured with 8GB on each side of the individual sticks to make up 16GB (and thus were dual Rank). That's unfortunately changed over the last 4+ months with a lot of manufacturers moving to populating 16GB on single sides so the 2X16 kits are for the most part single ranked now.

That said.... if you're going for a 2X32GB kit there's a very good chance that any kit you grab will be dual ranked so you'll be good to go. If you're shooting for best performance try to find a 3600 speed set and you'll be fine.

Screenshot 2021-05-13 201119.png

Doesn't help you while you're shopping, but if you want to check your memory for single/dual rank it's listed under CPU-Z's SPD tab.
Oh wow, haha! Thank you that is a lot of good info. Yeah I used CPU-z years ago, glad it's still going strong. I will do some research into it before buying ram. This 5900x will take a bit anyways so I got time to brush up on my research :)
---
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7813 posts
852 upvotes
Vancouver
Nikhilvoid wrote: Buy it when it's available. Amazon will ship when it's available
I will pass no need to buy a 5900X just yet, 5600X will do all I need as well as a 3600, but other may need mo powa
How can I be broke when I am saving so much?
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
3749 posts
6587 upvotes
Calgary
ProfProcyon wrote: Who needs that much CPU power?
Not everyone uses computers for Office, web browsing or games...
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2013
1546 posts
997 upvotes
Surrey, BC (GVR)
You can order these from best buy or memory express. if you live in the GVA you can walk in today and get one from memx.
Please check my feedback:
RFD
HWC
Heatware
Oct 5, 2005
635 posts
212 upvotes
I placed a pre-order for this when I saw this post on Thursday. I've been tossing the idea of building a VM server around, but am not nearly knowledgeable enough yet to actually start building. As the OP indicated, estimated ship date was June 20--plenty of time for me to bone-up and confirm what HW I actually need. Can cancel the pre-order if I go a different direction.

Well, last night I got a ship notice from Amazon and now have the thing in my hands! Looks like it'll be going on my parts shelf until I figure out what to do with it...
yo!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3733 posts
2064 upvotes
moneybags wrote: I placed a pre-order for this when I saw this post on Thursday. I've been tossing the idea of building a VM server around, but am not nearly knowledgeable enough yet to actually start building. As the OP indicated, estimated ship date was June 20--plenty of time for me to bone-up and confirm what HW I actually need. Can cancel the pre-order if I go a different direction.

Well, last night I got a ship notice from Amazon and now have the thing in my hands! Looks like it'll be going on my parts shelf until I figure out what to do with it...
Generally speaking, the most important resource for VMs is RAM not CPU. The 5900 is kind of awkward as the heart of a VM server because while it does have lots of cores, it only allows you to use up to 128GB of RAM. 128GB might sound like a lot if you're not used to working with a whole lot of VMs but it may or may not be sufficient, depending on what you want to run. I have VMs that demand 16-32GB each so 128GB doesn't go far. Also, the 5900x is lacking in PCIe lanes compared to Xeons. As such, you might be better off doing a sing;e/dual E5-2600-series Xeon build for a VM server. In particular the E5 2600 v2 processors are the best bang for your buck and also, they'll allow you to use DDR3 instead of overpriced (and steadily increasing in price) DDR4. You can get an entire Xeon server with 128 GB RAM for around the same price as just the 5900x. The 5900x would be a nice as part of aVM build a few years from now when you decide to upgrade your workstation and repurpose it in another build.... But to buy it new to be used for VMs, it's a huge waste of money.
Oct 5, 2005
635 posts
212 upvotes
txenglan wrote: Generally speaking, the most important resource for VMs is RAM not CPU. The 5900 is kind of awkward as the heart of a VM server because while it does have lots of cores, it only allows you to use up to 128GB of RAM. 128GB might sound like a lot if you're not used to working with a whole lot of VMs but it may or may not be sufficient, depending on what you want to run. I have VMs that demand 16-32GB each so 128GB doesn't go far. Also, the 5900x is lacking in PCIe lanes compared to Xeons. As such, you might be better off doing a sing;e/dual E5-2600-series Xeon build for a VM server. In particular the E5 2600 v2 processors are the best bang for your buck and also, they'll allow you to use DDR3 instead of overpriced (and steadily increasing in price) DDR4. You can get an entire Xeon server with 128 GB RAM for around the same price as just the 5900x. The 5900x would be a nice as part of aVM build a few years from now when you decide to upgrade your workstation and repurpose it in another build.... But to buy it new to be used for VMs, it's a huge waste of money.
Yikes, I was afraid I was headed down the wrong path. Very little of this made sense to me, which highlights my need to do more research.

I admit I did buy the 5900x because of it it's high-ish core count and avoided true enterprise gear, like Xeon servers, since they seem to use A LOT of electricity. What are you doing that a VM demands 32GB each?

My intent is almost more to play around. Fiddle with ProxMox, Ubuntu, NextCloud, whatever else I stumble across... and an instance of Windows 10 for the wife's WFH. Oh and replace my existing Netgear NAS with TrueNAS. Was thinking 128 GB would be enough? You still think 5900x is bad in this scenario?
yo!