Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] AMD Ryzen 3900x CPU - $556.77 (price error?)

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2019 1:44 pm
Newbie
Sep 18, 2017
72 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Finally got my refund for the 3800X, tracking was completely broken for the tracking number that Canada Post provided me.

Anyways, now I've got a really unbalanced system. 3900X, Vega 56, 2x 2133MHz 8GB and 2x 2400MHz 8GB. I'm only getting around 190 FPS in CS:GO, not the most accurate benchmark but compared to my old i5-7600K, the same system was around 200-210 FPS.

Any ideas other than my slow RAM? I'm gonna look into overclocking it, cause right now with the BIOS OC at 2600MHz it's at CL18. Don't have the budget for a new GPU right now, sadly, but it's flashed to a Vega 64 BIOS, undervolted and overclocked, though I could tweak it better.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
3731 posts
1443 upvotes
Toronto
Erak606 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2019 9:02 am
Finally got my refund for the 3800X, tracking was completely broken for the tracking number that Canada Post provided me.

Anyways, now I've got a really unbalanced system. 3900X, Vega 56, 2x 2133MHz 8GB and 2x 2400MHz 8GB. I'm only getting around 190 FPS in CS:GO, not the most accurate benchmark but compared to my old i5-7600K, the same system was around 200-210 FPS.

Any ideas other than my slow RAM? I'm gonna look into overclocking it, cause right now with the BIOS OC at 2600MHz it's at CL18. Don't have the budget for a new GPU right now, sadly, but it's flashed to a Vega 64 BIOS, undervolted and overclocked, though I could tweak it better.
Hmm, the 3800x beats the 7600k in most tests though with a good OC, since the single to quad core tests are close, I can see a 7600k giving a 3800x a run for it's money in gaming. That said, a few things you can try. Make sure you power settings aren't scaling back the CPU. If you didn't freshly install Windows, it's possible your'e having some form of driver bloat. You could go down to 2 sticks of RAM and see which one you can push further and check the FPS changes but I find it hard to believe that slow RAM would make a 20fps difference. Another thing that worked for some was to decouple the RAM speeds from the Infinity Fabric speeds and OC the IF independently. Some benchmarks showed the IF was limiting performance more than the RAM was.
Member
Aug 24, 2009
483 posts
122 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2019 9:20 pm
Assuming you didn't damage anything installing the CPU, there are a few things to consider. It's not the best of x570 mobos as you are putting a bit more stress on the MOSFETs, assuming the 3600 worked perfectly under heavy load, a 3800x shouldn't put any more stress on it doing next to nothing so that sounds doubtful. The PSU we can likely rule out for the same reason. An aside though, just because a PSU says it's 750W does not mean its providing anywhere near that. Good manufacturers rate PSU based on what they can perform reliably, cheap ones do it based on what they can do for a couple of seconds. If your PSU was abnormally cheap, I might consider it suspect for many kinds of issues. The rest of the system outside the CPU is unlikely to cause these kinds of issues, maybe RAM or the GPU but since they worked before, I'd again doubt that to be the issue. Honestly, first thing I'd try is swap the CPU, Amazon is generally pretty good about these things.
So Amazon wouldn't do a swap for me; they can only take a return since they did a price adjustment. Head scratcher there. I went back to Canada Comp, bought another 3600, and here I'm typing on the machine again. So my greediness cost me a bit, or moreso my selling the 3600 before getting this working cost me.

Regardless, can't go wrong for $279+tax for the 3600. I'll be happy. :)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
3731 posts
1443 upvotes
Toronto
CadillacJack wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2019 4:49 pm
So Amazon wouldn't do a swap for me; they can only take a return since they did a price adjustment. Head scratcher there. I went back to Canada Comp, bought another 3600, and here I'm typing on the machine again. So my greediness cost me a bit, or moreso my selling the 3600 before getting this working cost me.

Regardless, can't go wrong for $279+tax for the 3600. I'll be happy. :)
Holy crap, I would have escalated that one. They literally sold you a defective part, they should replace it. Anyways, if they really won't do it, contact AMD for an RMA.
Sr. Member
Jul 31, 2015
960 posts
511 upvotes
AB
Erak606 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2019 9:02 am
Finally got my refund for the 3800X, tracking was completely broken for the tracking number that Canada Post provided me.

Anyways, now I've got a really unbalanced system. 3900X, Vega 56, 2x 2133MHz 8GB and 2x 2400MHz 8GB. I'm only getting around 190 FPS in CS:GO, not the most accurate benchmark but compared to my old i5-7600K, the same system was around 200-210 FPS.

Any ideas other than my slow RAM? I'm gonna look into overclocking it, cause right now with the BIOS OC at 2600MHz it's at CL18. Don't have the budget for a new GPU right now, sadly, but it's flashed to a Vega 64 BIOS, undervolted and overclocked, though I could tweak it better.
The ram is really holding the performance back, infinity fabric needs fast ram/timings. 3200/cl16 min for decent performance.

I lowered my ram to 2400/cl18 just to simulate and lost about 20% FPS in some games
Last edited by U4LIFE on Aug 24th, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 15, 2011
39425 posts
5822 upvotes
King City
Dang, did anyone read these?

"Paul HK Szeto
1.0 out of 5 starsBait and Switched!
August 12, 2019
Verified Purchase
Brought this with it advertised as a 3900x but it got changed to a 3800x and only a 3800x shipped "

"5onic
1.0 out of 5 starsAbsolute garbage in performance for gaming, switched back to OLD (6600k) Intel
August 22, 2019
Verified Purchase
This review is strictly for gaming... competitive gaming in fact -- where high frames are required at low settings over frames with high settings.

Where do I begin?

Firstly, AMD Ryzen 3000 series was over hyped as hell. I was so ready to switch sides to team red after a long and hated devotion to Intel. Yet...

1) You need 570x motherboards to make Ryzen work out of the box. The 570x series are very expensive and more expensive than the Intel counter part. I switched from Strix E gaming AMD to Strix E Gaming Intel and intel was $100 cheaper.

2) But wait, you say, AMD is far cheaper and for budget gaming because you can get b450 motherboards for a hefty low price! Yeah, if you want to go through the insane hassle of having to flush the bios of that motherboard to work with AMD 3000 because it won't work out of the box. Either you do it yourself because you have an existing AMD or get paid service to do it. Cool. I'll stick to 570x. to reduce the hassle.

3) Again, wait, you say, AMD CPU to Intel CPU comparison is cheaper ignoring the motherboards. No. My friend returned his 3900x, I returned my 9900k. The Intel 9900k is not only faster but is also cheaper than 3900x. If you want to talk about the 3700x and 3800x then sure, it's cheaper, yet the performance was bad on the games I played.

4) The performance was bad. My friend returned his 3900x because his old intel 4k (forgot the specific model) performed better and I returned my 3800x because shockingly my OC 6600k out performed my 3800x. Again, I am talking about gaming, not workstations or what not. Yes you can cherry pick your few AMD selected titles working well like CSGO but the mass majority of games especially indie does not care about performance gains on AMD.. If you only play 1-3 games then sure, AMD will see a performance increase.

5) Again, wait, make sure to check all of your bios and uncheck all of the slow performance features in your bios and overclock your RAM and this and that. Why? Why does this cpu fail to deliver in the slight performance boost over my ancient 6600k out of the box? Same goes for 3900x. We had to go through so much effort research on why our CPU was performing so bad that it just wasn't worth it even if the performance was justified after the changes.

See this on reddit for example: upgraded_to_a_3700x_experiencing_downgrade_in

See also this on yotuube for example: 3rd-gen Ryzen Overclocking - Everything you need to know!

If this is what is required to get decent performance to what an out of box should be then you should consider another CPU.

6) Everyone shouts, AMD CPU IS FUTURE PROOF! Amd shills have been shouting this for years after years. No devs are utilizing AMD cpus and especially not the indie crowd. Again, if you only play 1-3 games like CSGO then sure but in no way this is future proof. By the time AMD actually get optimized for gaming I'm sure Intel would hit back harder because I'm not seeing a future with this CPU.

Fun fact, I got this CPU and my friend got his CPU for a hefty discount. Was not worth it.

We switched to 9900k, instant 50 fps+ increase (for me). Nothing needed to do out of the box. Cool. That hassle is over and done with. I got my 9900k on 50 dollar off sale + extra sale off for bundle mobo+cpu which makes it even far cheaper than AMD. But credits for AMD for making intel drop a few bucks though! Good work on that. -p.s. I would have still paid extra for the 9900k at regular price-. "
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
____________________________________
Incident Response|Malware Analyzer
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 24, 2016
850 posts
877 upvotes
I went from an i5 2500k to a ryzen 1700... gaming wise the 2500k was better, I overclocked it to 4.8ghz. Although multitasking is miles better on the 1700. And recently got a 3900x from this deal to swap with my 1700. If you are starting a new build just for gaming I wouldn't even look at the 3900x. Better option is the 3700x get a cheap b450 or x470 motherboard. If you want to spend more though for gaming the better cpu is the i9 9900k, x570 is expensive.

*edit
gaming benchmark. Honestly do not buy the 3900x for purely gaming save the money and use it on a graphics card/new monitor.
Newbie
Aug 31, 2018
8 posts
3 upvotes
Got a 25% refund as a giftcard balance on my account and returned & refunded the 3800X. They only refunded me the 75% and considered the giftcard balance plus refund as the "full refund" despite the CSR who issued the 25% refund referring to it as "compensation for our mistakes". What a total waste of my time and effort to virtually give Amazon money in the form of a giftcard.
Sr. Member
May 21, 2008
530 posts
98 upvotes
Winnipeg
Re-order arrived yesterday and was a 3900x, finally. They honoured the original price (in my case, $528). Price correction was done in two steps, a portion was applied the day I re-ordered (early August), and the balance of the credit applied after a chat this morning to confirm I now have the correct processor. Total credit applied was $710-528= $189, plus a small courtesy credit of $15, so, $204. Took three chats, 2 in early Aug, and one this morning. Initially, I agreed to a rebate on the 3800, but changed my mind overnight and chatted back the next morning that I was willing to wait for the correct product to re-stock and would re-order if I could obtain confirmation of the eventual price correction. We agreed to the two-step credit approach, i.e, I would receive the remainder of the price adjustment after I received the re-order. Each CSR was courteous and efficient. Have the mailing label for the 3800x and am returning it tomorrow.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 15, 2011
39425 posts
5822 upvotes
King City
MastaOogway wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2019 11:58 pm
I went from an i5 2500k to a ryzen 1700... gaming wise the 2500k was better, I overclocked it to 4.8ghz. Although multitasking is miles better on the 1700. And recently got a 3900x from this deal to swap with my 1700. If you are starting a new build just for gaming I wouldn't even look at the 3900x. Better option is the 3700x get a cheap b450 or x470 motherboard. If you want to spend more though for gaming the better cpu is the i9 9900k, x570 is expensive.

*edit
gaming benchmark. Honestly do not buy the 3900x for purely gaming save the money and use it on a graphics card/new monitor.
Thanks for the tidbit. Any reason why not to go with the 3800x?
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
____________________________________
Incident Response|Malware Analyzer
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 15, 2011
39425 posts
5822 upvotes
King City
Also disappointed that the 3700x is in stock on Aug 28th and delivery is on Sept 3rd.

Any reason why stock on Amazon gets depleted quickly compared to actual computer stores?
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
____________________________________
Incident Response|Malware Analyzer
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 24, 2016
850 posts
877 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Aug 24th, 2019 7:10 am
Thanks for the tidbit. Any reason why not to go with the 3800x?
the 3800x costs more than the 3700x and performance is around the same. The money spent could be used elsewhere and you would get better performance.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 15, 2011
39425 posts
5822 upvotes
King City
MastaOogway wrote:
Aug 24th, 2019 2:07 pm
the 3800x costs more than the 3700x and performance is around the same. The money spent could be used elsewhere and you would get better performance.
Noted. Well I picked up the 3700x this afternoon.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
____________________________________
Incident Response|Malware Analyzer
Newbie
Dec 15, 2018
7 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks to this thread. My PC building is complete
CPU: Ryzen 3900x - $530
PSU: EVGA 600BR - $60
GPU: GIGABYTE 1660ti OC - $340
SSD: Silicon Power 512 GB - $60
HDD: Barracuda 2 GB - $65
Case: Corsair SPEC-Delta - $90
RAM: XPG Gammix D10 8x2GB - $82
Mobo: TUF GAMING X570-PLUS - $245

Total with tax is C$1660! Wanted a 5700xt GPU but this is already beyond my initial budget..
Thanks RFD and bapcsalescanada <3
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 30, 2005
1841 posts
133 upvotes
Ottawa
ambrogio wrote:
Aug 24th, 2019 4:54 pm
Thanks to this thread. My PC building is complete
CPU: Ryzen 3900x - $530
PSU: EVGA 600BR - $60
GPU: GIGABYTE 1660ti OC - $340
SSD: Silicon Power 512 GB - $60
HDD: Barracuda 2 GB - $65
Case: Corsair SPEC-Delta - $90
RAM: XPG Gammix D10 8x2GB - $82
Mobo: TUF GAMING X570-PLUS - $245

Total with tax is C$1660! Wanted a 5700xt GPU but this is already beyond my initial budget..
Thanks RFD and bapcsalescanada <3
I might regret this but here's my list:
CPU: Ryzen 3900x - $530
Motherboard: ASRock X470 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard - $269 (-50 mail in....if i ever get it)
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 - $199
GPU: PowerColor AMD Radeon RED Dragon RX 580 8GB - $239
SSD: XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 SSD - $198
Power Supply: Corsair CX-M Series CX550M - $79 (-20 mail in....if i ever get it)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R Tempered Glass Mid-Tower - $85 (-10 mail in....if i ever get it)

Total: $1,522
Probably spent a little more than I wanted to, but considering I just sold an iMac for almost the same amount it's not too bad

Top