Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core, 24-thread unlocked desktop processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler $595.25

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2020 10:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2012
1185 posts
2664 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core, 24-thread unlocked desktop processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler $595.25

Dropped a little bit more. Warm deal at best.

PM: ME https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX77401 $619.99

Enjoy!
15 replies
May 31, 2004
25 posts
16 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks, OP! I've been planning a new build with the i7-10700K, but when you figure in the inclusion of the cooler on the 3900X they're neck & neck for cost. And I do want to feed the competition between Intel and AMD - helps keep our PC prices from skyrocketing.
Dec 29, 2013
820 posts
490 upvotes
Montr
Budster wrote: Thanks, OP! I've been planning a new build with the i7-10700K, but when you figure in the inclusion of the cooler on the 3900X they're neck & neck for cost. And I do want to feed the competition between Intel and AMD - helps keep our PC prices from skyrocketing.
Intel or AMD your choice
I’d suggest you look at the 10700 non K + MSI MAG B460 MORTAR combo. That motherboard allows for setting PL1 and PL2 to 255W max. Basically that allows for increasing the base frequency
May 20, 2004
573 posts
290 upvotes
The last gen, mid range intel outperforms this in gaming (i5-9500kf) for half the price. If you're looking for gaming performance, go with intel.
Dec 29, 2013
820 posts
490 upvotes
Montr
bigdaddyyc wrote: The last gen, mid range intel outperforms this in gaming (i5-9500kf) for half the price. If you're looking for gaming performance, go with intel.
I don’t play games too much but read stuffs about it
I’m concerned in a couple of years a 6-core CPU will not be best choice for gaming anymore
Jan 28, 2015
208 posts
702 upvotes
Montreal
bigdaddyyc wrote: The last gen, mid range intel outperforms this in gaming (i5-9500kf) for half the price. If you're looking for gaming performance, go with intel.
Thank you. $0.05 has been deposited into your account. --Intel CEO

Lol if you're buying Intel 9th gen dead platform 6-core/no hyperthreading at this point in time. With Ryzen you get more than double productivity performance, upgradeability to 4000 series, ability to sell the heatsink for $40 on kijiji, and way better resale in the future because no informed person is buying 6c/6t anymore.
May 20, 2004
573 posts
290 upvotes
Desperadude wrote: I don’t play games too much but read stuffs about it
I’m concerned in a couple of years a 6-core CPU will not be best choice for gaming anymore
This depends on the games you play. Most multiplayer games are still primary single-threaded. That is why Intel's processors outperform AMD's at almost all price points for gaming. The opposite is true for video rendering/workstation applications. If you still expect to be using your Ryzen processor 10 years from now, then go ahead and 'future-proof' yourself with more cores and threads. Sure it might outperform the i5 on a title 10 years from now, but if the intel is giving you 40 fps while the amd is giving you 50 fps, you'd probably want to upgrade at that point anyhow, as your CPU will bottleneck your GPU for future gen games. More cores and threads aren't useful in applications where they are not being used. I'm all for competition btw, and am not a subscriber of any one corporation who's ultimate end is to make profit.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1028 posts
410 upvotes
Perth
eorsgg wrote: Thank you. $0.05 has been deposited into your account. --Intel CEO

Lol if you're buying Intel 9th gen dead platform 6-core/no hyperthreading at this point in time. With Ryzen you get more than double productivity performance, upgradeability to 4000 series, ability to sell the heatsink for $40 on kijiji, and way better resale in the future because no informed person is buying 6c/6t anymore.
Obviously, you're not a gamer who would rather put that extra $300 towards a video card and/or G-Sync monitor... ;)
Jan 28, 2015
208 posts
702 upvotes
Montreal
sneaky wrote: Obviously, you're not a gamer who would rather put that extra $300 towards a video card and/or G-Sync monitor... ;)
Wrong, I have an Alienware AW3418DW with 9900K and RTX 2080 Super. The CPU was work-expensed (Master's Research) and I would probably never pay full price based on principle. Previously I was using a Ryzen 3700X.

At most you'll be getting an extra 5-10 more FPS on Intel vs. Ryzen. There's no perceptible difference in 99% of games, especially with GSync.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
2654 posts
3199 upvotes
Calgary
eorsgg wrote: Wrong, I have an Alienware AW3418DW with 9900K and RTX 2080 Super. The CPU was work-expensed (Master's Research) and I would probably never pay full price based on principle. Previously I was using a Ryzen 3700X.

At most you'll be getting an extra 5-10 more FPS on Intel vs. Ryzen. There's no perceptible difference in 99% of games, especially with GSync.
Not only that, but if you're playing at 1440p or 2160p, the bottleneck will almost always be at the GPU, so if you have a good enough AMD or Intel CPU, the FPS will be basically identical between the two. People need to buy a CPU based on their needs.

Some guidelines, but not all inclusive:
(1) If you're on a strict budget, go with something like the Ryzen 3600.
(2) If you're a high FPS 1080p gamer, go with an Intel solution
(3) If your productivity workloads are > gaming workloads, get a Ryzen
(4) If your computer is strictly gaming workloads, Intel would be the better choice, but nothing wrong with a Ryzen either. The difference between the two is basically negligible.
(4) If you're gaming at 1440p or above, any six-core solution from AMD or Intel would suffice. A small caveat - if you plan to keep your system for 5 to 10 years, it might be worth considering an 8-core model since the PS5 and XBSX will both have a Ryzen-based 8C/16T CPU which future game engines will be built on.
Last edited by ZipSpeed on Jul 22nd, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 1, 2017
207 posts
269 upvotes
Thunder Bay
Desperadude wrote: I don’t play games too much but read stuffs about it
6c/6t especially.
Inflammable means flammable? What a country.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1028 posts
410 upvotes
Perth
eorsgg wrote: Wrong, I have an Alienware AW3418DW with 9900K and RTX 2080 Super. The CPU was work-expensed (Master's Research) and I would probably never pay full price based on principle. Previously I was using a Ryzen 3700X.

You just proved my point... if you're a gamer you'll save the $300 and get around the same performance with an intel and also get that better video card and I have a Dell 27" 2k 144hz G-sync monitor and it's very perceptibly better than 60hz at 1080P. I have a 9600k and a STRIX GTX 1070ti.
Mar 31, 2017
19 posts
9 upvotes
Lol at people still recommending Intel. Like really? This close to next gen GPUs with PCIE 4.0? The future of gaming is more cores, I absolutely hate Intel for delaying that inevitability. When debating something like this, keep in mind power usage and thermals. IPC is very close, that extra 1-2 fps doesn't matter at all in the grand scheme of things, especially when you're paying almost twice as much for a comparable cpu that performs damn near identically.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
1572 posts
614 upvotes
Montreal
This is a solid processor.

Got this running on ASRock B450 Pro4 with 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 C18 @ 3200 XMP

Cheers!
Jun 12, 2017
21 posts
3 upvotes
The 3900x is a great CPU and part of a great platform, great value for what you get as well. If gaming is purely your only need than it's not an Intel vs AMD debate... it's a how much are you willing to pay. Unless you are into uber competitive gaming (which is a microscopic portion of the population), the FPS difference, in some games, won't be enough to matter at similar price points between AMD and Intel. A Ryzen 3600 is absolutely plenty for any gamer out there, even hardcore, saving a few bucks and spending them on a better GPU will be more helpful. Down the road as you are on an am4 platform, you can swap the CPU for any Ryzen 3000 and most likely 4000 giving tons of options when the prices go down (well, if they ever do...).

If you do anything besides measuring your FPS and brag about that, get a Ryzen that suits your need. Right now, Intel is simply not a competitive option.