• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2018 1:19 am
[OP]
Dec 16, 2011
79 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Ancestry DNA Genetic Testing - $89.00

Amazon's 'Deal of the Day' is Ancestry's DNA testing kit for $89.00.

Seems to be the lowest historical price according to Camels.

https://www.amazon.ca/AncestryDNA-Genet ... 00TRLVKW0/
38 replies
Nov 26, 2008
903 posts
597 upvotes
GTA
thefragger wrote: I've not done much research, but why not?
If you do a quick search for the 23andme one on slickdeals you will find both sides of the debate.
It’s crazy long and lots valid and whack points.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20093 posts
7519 upvotes
Toronto
Guys, the DNA is different from anything else that's controversial.

You can take it a step forward and it becomes controversial, but the DNA part is pretty much the history of you, not your health.

We've got one being done as we speak (Boxing Day sale).
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2012
1026 posts
657 upvotes
id think that they would pay you.. they probably make a shit ton off the information they gather.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
4800 posts
4571 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Better than buying it directly from Ancestry. I bought one for the Black Friday sale and it took over a month to be delivered from somewhere just outside LA to Winnipeg.
Mar 4, 2017
176 posts
88 upvotes
rkt1337 wrote: id think that they would pay you.. they probably make a shit ton off the information they gather.
Hmm.. same can be said for Facebook and google
Dec 22, 2009
174 posts
104 upvotes
YYC
Thanks OP, ordered one to check why not dying young Winking Face
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4319 posts
1677 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
dannydouble wrote: Was this deal yesterday?

Showing $129 CAD for me.
That's what the date on the post says.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11369 posts
2833 upvotes
Kingston
The value of this info is very limited (I did my DNA via 23andMe a year ago).
The "where are you from" info is apparently not very reliable (not sure of the details on this but it was noted up front on a seminar I went to). And is about 60 seconds of interest)

The "finding relatives" part is only of practical use if (other than a miracle match with a lost sibling or parent):
1. Your relative also did a DNA test with the same organization (more on this below)
AND
2. You both have done a fair amount of geneaology work already in order to find a match in your family tree. IMHO finding out that you are a "3rd to 5th cousin" of someone you've never heard of is pretty useless unless you have generations of family data to find where the match is.

If you are going to pursue this, Ancestry is the best way to go as you can upload it to other sites like 23andMe and MyHeritage. Ancestry won't accept DNA data from other systems.
You should also upload your data to gedmatch.com
This will maximize your chance of finding a usable match.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1617 posts
370 upvotes
Brampton
Any Indian (from Asia) took this test? Any good information from the result ?
Koodo 60$ 10gb plan
Public Mobile 36$ 4gb plan
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3042 posts
3382 upvotes
JWL wrote: The value of this info is very limited (I did my DNA via 23andMe a year ago).
The "where are you from" info is apparently not very reliable (not sure of the details on this but it was noted up front on a seminar I went to). And is about 60 seconds of interest)

The "finding relatives" part is only of practical use if (other than a miracle match with a lost sibling or parent):
1. Your relative also did a DNA test with the same organization (more on this below)
AND
2. You both have done a fair amount of geneaology work already in order to find a match in your family tree. IMHO finding out that you are a "3rd to 5th cousin" of someone you've never heard of is pretty useless unless you have generations of family data to find where the match is.

If you are going to pursue this, Ancestry is the best way to go as you can upload it to other sites like 23andMe and MyHeritage. Ancestry won't accept DNA data from other systems.
You should also upload your data to gedmatch.com
This will maximize your chance of finding a usable match.

For me Ancestry was bang on it terms of the region that I was from. It pinpointed that my DNA matched a specific region in a country in the South East part of it and it was very accurate in that regard, as my ancestors are from there and hadn't moved from elsewhere as far as I know. It also matched me with second, third and fourth cousins whom I can contact. Overall, it was what I expected and there were no surprises in terms of my DNA profile. The health profile (provided by 23 and me) would have also been of some interest. The biggest negative was that it took longer than 2 months from ordering the kit to getting the results.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
635 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Lol. Non Merci. Voluntarily giving a for profit corporation which stores your information and gives a disclaimer like this as a measure of "trust" is idiotic at the very low end of thinking:
Third, we explicitly state that we will not share your genetic data with employers, insurance providers or third party marketers without first getting your consent. We already follow this procedure, but this language makes our commitment to you explicit.
So they store your information anyway and it is easy picking for any group to comandeer.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
May 31, 2007
322 posts
191 upvotes
These are 100% bullsh$%. My sister and brother in law are both geneticists for the biggest lab in North America.
You could send your dna 3 times and get 3 different results.... its about as real and getting a star named after you lol. Dont waste your money.
Last edited by N8DOGG on Feb 11th, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 14, 2017
678 posts
596 upvotes
N8DOGG wrote: These are 100% bullsh$%. My sister and brother in law are both geneticists for the biggest lab in North America.
You could send your dna 3 times and get 3 different results.... its about as real and getting a star bamed after you lol. Dont waste your money.
Can't you ask for refund if the results are not reproducible?
May 31, 2007
322 posts
191 upvotes
pny128 wrote: Can't you ask for refund if the results are not reproducible?
Who is going to send their dna in more than once, other than people proving they are frauds?
I would assume you could if you did though. You just have to be careful you dont use your same name etc, or its pretty likely they would just send you your original results back again.
May 30, 2015
223 posts
167 upvotes
N8DOGG wrote: These are 100% bullsh$%. My sister and brother in law are both geneticists for the biggest lab in North America.
You could send your dna 3 times and get 3 different results.... its about as real and getting a star named after you lol. Dont waste your money.

Did your brother and sister send their DNA in and got different results ? Or maybe they did a test in their biggest lab and every time they got different results so they think every other lab would do same?
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1521 posts
242 upvotes
This is basically the Amazon and Google of molecular biology and human health. Give everyone a free/low-cost service, and then collect the data for future data mining. While I believe they only use SNP chips/genotyping arrays for the results that they send back to you, they will be whole-genome sequenced for their own database in the future.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if most of the company's value is not in the service they provide, but the human variant data they have collected.