[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
9660 posts
62592 upvotes
Ontario

[Amazon.ca] AncestryDNA 47% OFF

These DNA tests always cost $100+.

Has anyone tried these before? Paying $$$ and sending your DNA samples to these companies just to discover your DNA story.

For those who have tried something similar, what are your thoughts? What do you get from these DNA tests?

You might be one of the descendants from powerful tribes like:
The Sai Ya Jin Powerful people that can turn their hair to yellow when their back tingles.
Senju Clan Powerful people that can manipulate wood chakra
Vinland Saga Clan Strong warriors and will go to Vahalla when they die.
Titans humans that can transform into titans.
Alchmist clan People that can use Alchemy. a girl & a dog =

Will they keep your DNA forever or you can ask them to destroy it?
What happens to your DNA if the company decides to sell its company?

It seems like a great Christmas gift for your friends/family. I don't think anyone will buy it for themself.
Share:
60 replies
Sep 9, 2017
40 posts
20 upvotes
I've tried this didn't give me anything useful. I was trying to find my biological father or anyone that might be related so I guess it's a pretty big long shot. Found out I'm 100 percent chinese tho. It's probably a very big YMMV.
Dec 24, 2017
628 posts
1306 upvotes
lel
Downvoted: poor merchant reputation.
Koodo $45 - 4GB +1GB bonus (retention deal). S9 for $360-150 GC
Good toilet paper/paper towel deals
Oct 4, 2016
260 posts
410 upvotes
These DNA companies are extremely shady and I would be wary of using such services. I invite you to read their privacy and TOS before willingly handing your DNA over to them.

https://www.ancestry.ca/cs/legal/privacystatement
Mar 27, 2015
142 posts
280 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
My sister is adopted and doesn't know it, what better way to tell her then both submit our DNA! Best Christmas present ever!

But really, if you know or suspect there are skeletons in your parent's closets be careful.
Oct 20, 2017
147 posts
399 upvotes
Canuckticut
For the love of God please do not give out your DNA to companies like AncestryDNA and 23&me, they sell your genetic data to other corporations without your consent and hand it over to local (theirs, not ours) government agencies. You might be dooming a relative in the future, who knows.

I will refrain from doing any DNA test until there is a company that puts an emphasis on privacy.
Oct 28, 2015
817 posts
244 upvotes
Nobleton, ON
I am only curious about my y-dna, is this a good option? It was rumored that my ancestors were from middle east via trading route settled in China for generations and were Muslims back in 1400CE and all my family members looked more like Arabs than typical Asians, the other info such as the diseases, characters, or related data are pretty much gimmick to me that I am not interested at all as I now they are very inaccurate.
Oct 28, 2015
817 posts
244 upvotes
Nobleton, ON
XGonGiveItToYa wrote: For the love of God please do not give out your DNA to companies like AncestryDNA and 23&me, they sell your genetic data to other corporations without your consent and hand it over to local (theirs, not ours) government agencies. You might be dooming a relative in the future, who knows.

I will refrain from doing any DNA test until there is a company that puts an emphasis on privacy.
How can DNA info be dooming your relatives? Unless there is a serial killer popped up in your family tree and is currently at large.... I don't see any possibility that these info can damage anything significant....
Apr 20, 2017
233 posts
303 upvotes
Montreal
most things haven't worked out
Jun 5, 2007
274 posts
109 upvotes
Ottawa
I'd rather give DNA to a company that will tell me if I'll get cancer or dementia.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
1430 posts
153 upvotes
Woodbridge
Is there any way to do this and get results anonymously?
Dec 10, 2005
542 posts
201 upvotes
Lemmy wrote: I'd rather give DNA to a company that will tell me if I'll get cancer or dementia.
23andme is currently 50% - $124 for the $249 test.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1879 posts
4013 upvotes
Markham
Pay the company so they can sell your permanent genetic data for a profit, sounds like a deal!

At least I get something useful when my (non-permanent) data are given to Google and banks, but paying to get questionable results from shady companies (that, even if they're legit today, can be bought by another shady company)? Nah.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1370 posts
1489 upvotes
xuanzh wrote: How can DNA info be dooming your relatives? Unless there is a serial killer popped up in your family tree and is currently at large.... I don't see any possibility that these info can damage anything significant....
Let's say someone found a new sequence of DNA that makes you more suspectible to the next COVID mutation. And someone leaked all the DNA record from a certain company due to a data breach. Now that the information is public. Employer can filter out whoever has this set of DNA and put them to the lower priority on the hiring list to reduce insurance cost.

Just a sci-fi example, obviously, but if you can't think of how they can damage anything... it is only a lack of imagination, not a lack of possibility.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12126 posts
3222 upvotes
you are overvaluing your "permanent genetic data" ....
Dave510 wrote: Pay the company so they can sell your permanent genetic data for a profit, sounds like a deal!

At least I get something useful when my (non-permanent) data are given to Google and banks, but paying to get questionable results from shady companies (that, even if they're legit today, can be bought by another shady company)? Nah.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
1728 posts
768 upvotes
The discount percentage reflects its accuracy.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1879 posts
4013 upvotes
Markham
sexyj wrote: you are overvaluing your "permanent genetic data" ....
Not really, since you can't even properly value it right now. But hey you're free to pay to give yours away! Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10783 posts
2970 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
Dave510 wrote: Pay the company so they can sell your permanent genetic data for a profit, sounds like a deal!

I’ve wondered how long until Google decides to buy one of these companies. Or just start their own DNA mining service.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10783 posts
2970 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
sterdeus wrote: Is there any way to do this and get results anonymously?
If they had any interest in privacy at all, it would all be anonymous as a default. If they require personal info, which isn’t necessary for the testing at all, that’s a pretty big red flag they are exploiting the data they gather.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1879 posts
4013 upvotes
Markham
ceredon wrote: I’ve wondered how long until Google decides to buy one of these companies. Or just start their own DNA mining service.
Gotta wait til they collect enough DNA samples, don't want to jump the gun. No one is gonna wanna use them if it's "Powered by Google".
Last edited by Dave510 on Nov 30th, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.