Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] AngelCare AC327 Breathing and Video monitor ($139 reg $199)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2019 10:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4591 posts
1073 upvotes
Richmond Hill

AngelCare AC327 Breathing and Video monitor ($139 reg $199)

Deal Link:
Price:
$139
Savings:
30%
Retailer:
Amazon.ca
Through a 3rd party seller (reviews look decent), fulfilled by Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/Angelcare-Monitor ... B07RGLNKSV

Regular $199.

Angelcare units typically don't go on sale very often, so I think it is a pretty good deal to get a monitoring system with a breathing monitor.

** edit: include price in title
Last edited by enwhyRFD on Oct 19th, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
49 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
6194 posts
6151 upvotes
Downtown Canada
OP, thanks for posting, please include price in the title. Also, you should know this, you have been around since the beginning of the century here on RFD lol
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4818 posts
872 upvotes
To be honest, for parent peace of mind, you're better off using a regular monitor without the pad. You're going to be stressing when this thing gives false alarms.

I suggest a unit with a unit with a high res camera, big screen on parent unit and dect 6.0 cordless.
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."

11 Never Summer Heritage, 08 Rome Targa
08 Nitro Eero Ettala 155, 07 Rome 390
07 Capita Outdoor Living 154
Cervelo Soloist Carbon Ultegra
Oct 26, 2011
436 posts
195 upvotes
bluetroll wrote: To be honest, for parent peace of mind, you're better off using a regular monitor without the pad. You're going to be stressing when this thing gives false alarms.

I suggest a unit with a unit with a high res camera, big screen on parent unit and dect 6.0 cordless.
Agreed. We've even moved away from the camera models and just have an old fashioned sound one. Then there's no temptation to be watching the monitor all the time.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16941 posts
1785 upvotes
Thornhill
chreds wrote: Agreed. We've even moved away from the camera models and just have an old fashioned sound one. Then there's no temptation to be watching the monitor all the time.
Lol, I think the issue is with the parents rather than the product. What are you going to do otherwise? Run up and check every 30min?

We use an angelcare monitor and highly recommend it.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2003
1079 posts
100 upvotes
My wife and I are expecting our first in December and we are thinking of purchasing the owlet sock monitor vs these pads.
I know it's a huge cost vs these pads but if it gives my wife piece of mind then no biggie!
Thanks op! Decent price!!
References under bfg_16 in Heatware 99-0-0,Ebay 125-0-0
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4591 posts
1073 upvotes
Richmond Hill
We had 3 alarms with our first born. We had questioned whether they were false or not. But realistically there's no way of knowing. So we just chalked it up to better safe than sorry.

With AC327, there's 2 ways of monitoring the breathing on the portable parental unit.

1 - there's an LED indicate that blinks every 20 seconds to indicate movement (breathing or body movements).
2 - you can activate a ticking sound that ticks every 20 seconds (so that you don't have to stare at the LED).

Now if there is no movement (breathing or otherwise) within 20 seconds, an alarm comes on both the camera unit (to wake/startle the baby so that it cries), and on the portable parent unit (so that you know). So even if you don't look at the portable unit, the peace of mind is there that if there's no movement an alarm will notify you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4591 posts
1073 upvotes
Richmond Hill
bfg_16 wrote: My wife and I are expecting our first in December and we are thinking of purchasing the owlet sock monitor vs these pads.
I know it's a huge cost vs these pads but if it gives my wife piece of mind then no biggie!
Thanks op! Decent price!!
Congrats @bfg_16 !
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16941 posts
1785 upvotes
Thornhill
enwhyRFD wrote: We had 3 alarms with our first born. We had questioned whether they were false or not. But realistically there's no way of knowing. So we just chalked it up to better safe than sorry.

With AC327, there's 2 ways of monitoring the breathing on the portable parental unit.

1 - there's an LED indicate that blinks every 20 seconds to indicate movement (breathing or body movements).
2 - you can activate a ticking sound that ticks every 20 seconds (so that you don't have to stare at the LED).

Now if there is no movement (breathing or otherwise) within 20 seconds, an alarm comes on both the camera unit (to wake/startle the baby so that it cries), and on the portable parent unit (so that you know). So even if you don't look at the portable unit, the peace of mind is there that if there's no movement an alarm will notify you.
+1

I think most parents would rather err on the safe side. I’d rather have 50 false alarms than have none and not know if something was wrong if it were to happen.

We did have a few false alarms but that was when our kid got older and rolled herself away from the sensor. We had also inherited an extra sensor so it was rare. But even in that case, you see that the baby rolled into the corner and just move her back.

bjl
Dec 19, 2009
892 posts
525 upvotes
Ottawa
We have a one week old and our plan is just to buy a wyze cam when it goes on sale.

From my research most of the dedicated baby monitor systems are not reliable and don’t last very long. Plus a wyze cam is more versatile for when we are done needing it for monitoring the baby.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16941 posts
1785 upvotes
Thornhill
mikek33 wrote: We have a one week old and our plan is just to buy a wyze cam when it goes on sale.

From my research most of the dedicated baby monitor systems are not reliable and don’t last very long. Plus a wyze cam is more versatile for when we are done needing it for monitoring the baby.
There was a thread about this a few years ago and one thing they brought up about this was that they may be hackable. Not that I expect “criminals” to be interested in watching a sleeping baby. But it was brought up.

bjl
Nov 29, 2013
174 posts
306 upvotes
That's what I did, and it's great. I ended up taping the Wyzecam high on the wall so it can see the whole crib from the top down. Before that, when my baby started to stand, she would reach and pull the cord, and dropped the wyzecam a couple of times on the ground.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3512 posts
1553 upvotes
Ottawa
mikek33 wrote: We have a one week old and our plan is just to buy a wyze cam when it goes on sale.

Bought one.. DOA pretty much.. Had to buy 2nd. It has a ambient light that's constantly on, and the led infrared night vision lights are visible.. Wife put the kebosh on the thing because she felt it was adding to his difficulty sleeping.

We are currently using old school sound only baby monitor.

I'd like to get a solid camera based one with station and phone app.. But when you look at the reviews... You see no clear winner. Frustrating

With only 20 reviews gotta make you wonder any more on Amazon.com?
Nov 11, 2013
873 posts
944 upvotes
Calgary
I had one of these and it was a pain in the butt with false alarms, I ended up returning it.
Save your money and buy a wyzecam for the baby room.
Nov 20, 2017
479 posts
700 upvotes
t3359 wrote: There was a thread about this a few years ago and one thing they brought up about this was that they may be hackable. Not that I expect “criminals” to be interested in watching a sleeping baby. But it was brought up.

bjl
They are hackable in the same way your computer, tablet, or phone is hackable.
Apr 18, 2007
397 posts
436 upvotes
Cambridge
prodacc wrote: They are hackable in the same way your computer, tablet, or phone is hackable.
The point is that a monitor like the Angelcare doesn't connect to a network so parents have peace of mind. There have been stories of hackers talking though cameras to your kid. It's a little creepy. You would be surprised how many parents will not get a camera like the Wyze because of that.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2011
1278 posts
695 upvotes
Ajax
t3359 wrote: Lol, I think the issue is with the parents rather than the product. What are you going to do otherwise? Run up and check every 30min?

We use an angelcare monitor and highly recommend it.

bjl
Completely disagree. Had one of these for a year. Had over 30 false alarms. Toggled with the sensitivity dial for the pad but it always gave false alarms. Novel idea however poor implementation. I ended up selling ours and getting a simple 2 way video monitor and it has been the best decision that we have made as we had baby number 2 and have had 0 issues since. Based on my experience I would not reccommend this product.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2016
1018 posts
1158 upvotes
Toronto
New mom here of 12 month old baby. I did research and ended up getting a simple sound monitor. I had no stress whatsoever compared to all the other moms complaining of how they lose sleep just watching their babies and getting false alarms with their angelcare. They were clued to the screen with anxiety because they were obsessed with watching them. It gave them NO peace of mind.

My two-way sound monitor worked perfect. Woke up to the cries and even talked to her with it. She responds back too! Suffice to say, a simple sound monitor worked for me and wasn't worth the extra costs. The mark ups of baby products are just incredible these days.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16941 posts
1785 upvotes
Thornhill
prodacc wrote: They are hackable in the same way your computer, tablet, or phone is hackable.
You mean the angelcare is hackable? Unless the hacker sits outside my house and tries all the codes.

Or do you mean the Wyze cam is a hackable, which I would say is possible.

bjl