527 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Anker 8 in 1 dual 4K USB C hub $52.49

- 2x hdmi @ 4k30hz
-2x usb 3.0
- ethernet
- power delivery usb c
- SD and micro sd card reader

Reputable brand and all time low.
Last edited by Bostic on Feb 15th, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2004
6105 posts
1103 upvotes
Yeah I have this one but it doesn't wake up the monitors after my laptop wakes up from sleep mode. Have to unplug and plug in every time
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2427 posts
1831 upvotes
Montreal, QC
champ91 wrote: Yeah I have this one but it doesn't wake up the monitors after my laptop wakes up from sleep mode. Have to unplug and plug in every time
Is it on Windows? Some review mentionned that you need to change a setting in Display to exclude the monitors from sleep mode.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
[OP]
Nov 28, 2019
246 posts
527 upvotes
champ91 wrote: Yeah I have this one but it doesn't wake up the monitors after my laptop wakes up from sleep mode. Have to unplug and plug in every time
That's a little unacceptable for a brand name product. Hope their customer service can clear it up for you. Honestly, even the cheap one I used hasn't have this problem. Maybe you get a manufactory defective unit.
Jul 28, 2017
162 posts
215 upvotes
Found the following in the Q&A section. Maybe give that a try?

Q: How do you wake the monitors after computer is in sleep mode? I have to unplug the hub and plug it back in every time?

A: To enable the device to not shut off on standby.

Please follow the steps below.

1.Find Device manager

2.Look for Universal Serial Bus Controllers---USB Root Hub right click USB Root Hub then select properties,

3.On the tabs above find Power Management--- uncheck the box ""Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"" and then click “ok”. Reboot the laptop/computer to see if it
Aug 14, 2009
379 posts
398 upvotes
BC
Bostic wrote: That's a little unacceptable for a brand name product.
Sleep problems have been part and parcel of using Windows for many years. Doubtful it's anything do with the device.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9676 posts
5060 upvotes
Paris
trendless wrote: Sleep problems have been part and parcel of using Windows for many years. Doubtful it's anything do with the device.
Literally returning an Acer 34” widescreen I got a great deal on for this. Its wired direct to the HDMI port on my laptop. Its infuriating.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2004
6105 posts
1103 upvotes
HenryC422053 wrote: Found the following in the Q&A section. Maybe give that a try?

Q: How do you wake the monitors after computer is in sleep mode? I have to unplug the hub and plug it back in every time?

A: To enable the device to not shut off on standby.

Please follow the steps below.

1.Find Device manager

2.Look for Universal Serial Bus Controllers---USB Root Hub right click USB Root Hub then select properties,

3.On the tabs above find Power Management--- uncheck the box ""Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"" and then click “ok”. Reboot the laptop/computer to see if it
Yeah I did that too but no go

Maybe I got a defective one
[OP]
Nov 28, 2019
246 posts
527 upvotes
With regard to the power delivery, I am massively confused. Do these docks intelligently distribute the input power to all the connected devices? In this case, this dock can take 100w, and I attached a 65w laptop, what happen to the left over 35w? How can I know the minimum power needed to operate this dock? Since this dock is connected to the laptop, does it mean that the power distribution is solely relying on the laptop itself? TIA.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2426 posts
330 upvotes
Burnaby
good to know.
ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME; i7-950; GTX 560; 16G Mem; 2TB HD; 24x DVD-RAM;
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
18000 posts
20206 upvotes
Bostic wrote: With regard to the power delivery, I am massively confused. Do these docks intelligently distribute the input power to all the connected devices? In this case, this dock can take 100w, and I attached a 65w laptop, what happen to the left over 35w? How can I know the minimum power needed to operate this dock? Since this dock is connected to the laptop, does it mean that the power distribution is solely relying on the laptop itself? TIA.
Apparently the USB-C PD standard implies there's smart circuitry controlling the power draw based on communication with the device.
Jul 28, 2017
162 posts
215 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Apparently the USB-C PD standard implies there's smart circuitry controlling the power draw based on communication with the device.
Really? That is a lot smarter than I would have thought.
Aug 13, 2020
379 posts
1269 upvotes
trendless wrote: Sleep problems have been part and parcel of using Windows for many years. Doubtful it's anything do with the device.
I struggle coming out of Sleep with my work HP Laptop + Docking Station + 3 monitors (2 x Display Port + 1 x VGA). Only the VGA comes back properly and I have to reboot every time. (Detect, Unplug, Disconnect in windows do not seem to work.)

My personal DELL XPS Desktop with the same 3 monitors has no issue.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
18000 posts
20206 upvotes
HenryC422053 wrote: Really? That is a lot smarter than I would have thought.
Power Delivery (PD) is a specification for handling higher power and allows a range of devices to charge quickly over a USB connection. It operates by facilitating a conversation between two devices to negotiate a power contract so they can determine how much power can be pulled from the charger. Power Delivery starts at the 5V setting and is configurable up to 20V. Using a standard USB-C cable, it can handle up to 60W, and will go up to 100W using a designated EMCA cable.
Source: https://www.goalzero.com/blog/what-tech ... CA%20cable.
[OP]
Nov 28, 2019
246 posts
527 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Apparently the USB-C PD standard implies there's smart circuitry controlling the power draw based on communication with the device.
Greatly appreciate the answer. Does it mean it's always better to provide the max power allowable adapter to the dock? I mean in this case connect it to a 100w power adapter is better than a 65w? Thanks again.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
2948 posts
2487 upvotes
Toronto
Bostic wrote: How can I know the minimum power needed to operate this dock?
Anker says 13W

from https://www.Anker.com/es/products/varia ... b/A83800A1

The USB-C port supports pass-through charging up to 100W (minus 13W for operation), allowing you to charge up your laptop at high-speed while retaining full function of the hub’s other ports. (Wall charger not included)
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
18000 posts
20206 upvotes
Bostic wrote: Greatly appreciate the answer. Does it mean it's always better to provide the max power allowable adapter to the dock? I mean in this case connect it to a 100w power adapter is better than a 65w? Thanks again.
Generally speaking, a USB-C power brick will also negotiate with the USB docking station regarding power draw.
Aug 14, 2009
379 posts
398 upvotes
BC
IslandDeal wrote: I struggle coming out of Sleep with my work HP Laptop + Docking Station + 3 monitors (2 x Display Port + 1 x VGA). Only the VGA comes back properly and I have to reboot every time. (Detect, Unplug, Disconnect in windows do not seem to work.)

My personal DELL XPS Desktop with the same 3 monitors has no issue.
Yeah. I've never seen these types of issues be a monitor issue. Monitors are relatively 'dumb' devices; they're not really aware of anything other than "is there a display signal being sent to me or not, and at what resolution / refresh rate?"

Have you checked to see if your dock has a firmware update or the laptop has a BIOS update?