Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Anker PowerPort Solar (21W Dual-Port USB Solar Charger) $80 ($50 / 38% Off)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2016 3:27 pm
May 15, 2011
495 posts
332 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Anker PowerPort Solar (21W Dual-Port USB Solar Charger) $80 ($50 / 38% Off)

Good price on this unit. You can connect it to a battery bank to charge the bank or charge devices directly. IMHO Anker is one of the best brands out there for battery banks, solar chargers, etc. 18 month warranty and higher quality parts plus great customer service.

The USD direct from anker price is $62, plus shipping, so this price at $79.99 CAD is competitive, whereas at full price it is not.

Own this and one of their powerbanks, and you are set for almost anything! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Images
  • AnkerPowerPanel.jpg
Time to update my signature!
15 replies
Dec 12, 2012
337 posts
392 upvotes
Saskatchewan
According to Camel (C3), $79.99 was the regular price and $67 was the cheapest. As always, Amazon seems to overstate the amount of money saved.

Anker, Aukey, Tronsmart, etc., all seem to be having issues with the increased demand for 'Power Banks' or portable charging sources, especially after the release of Pokemon Go. The prices seem to be steadily increase or heading to extremes due to resellers & demand.
Sep 17, 2007
924 posts
844 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry but
I don't see a reason why I'll ever use painfully slow , solar charging. If my Phone runs out of juice I expect a power bank, which already has power to power it. Not to charge the charger that will charge something else. Solar energy in providing backup power is like going double negative. (Unless the goal is to save energy, at which point the cost will offset all the saving)

Or if I travel to places with no power source. Then most probably I'll have other bigger issues.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2011
1241 posts
620 upvotes
The 6ix
This would be ideal if your stranded on an island
May 15, 2011
495 posts
332 upvotes
SagaraS246 wrote: According to Camel (C3), $79.99 was the regular price and $67 was the cheapest. As always, Amazon seems to overstate the amount of money saved.

Anker, Aukey, Tronsmart, etc., all seem to be having issues with the increased demand for 'Power Banks' or portable charging sources, especially after the release of Pokemon Go. The prices seem to be steadily increase or heading to extremes due to resellers & demand.
Camel is incorrect. I have been following several solar chargers including this one daily since about May. The price has never been anything close to the current sale price in that time period. I see Camel reporting the $67 on July 10 but unless that was a flash sale which I missed for a portion of the day it did not happen. Camel is useful but they do frequently err, and should not be accepted as gospel.
vr_nguyen wrote: This would be ideal if your stranded on an island
Camping? Hiking? That is what I am seeking it for. I frequently do 4-10 day hiking or canoeing trips for which these are perfect. They are also great to recharge a powerbank which has already been sucked dry, when a long car trip.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11547 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
Jet2643 wrote:
SagaraS246 wrote: According to Camel (C3), $79.99 was the regular price and $67 was the cheapest. As always, Amazon seems to overstate the amount of money saved.

Camel is incorrect. I have been following several solar chargers including this one daily since about May. The price has never been anything close to the current sale price in that time period. I see Camel reporting the $67 on July 10 but unless that was a flash sale which I missed for a portion of the day it did not happen. Camel is useful but they do frequently err, and should not be accepted as gospel.
Camping? Hiking? That is what I am seeking it for. I frequently do 4-10 day hiking or canoeing trips for which these are perfect. They are also great to recharge a powerbank which has already been sucked dry, when a long car trip.
Does the solar actually work? How long for the battery to charge to 80% under good circumstances. I feel every portable device shy of a 90's calculator with a solar panel is just ineffective. Maybe I'm wrong?
Autocorrect sucks
May 15, 2011
495 posts
332 upvotes
GangStarr wrote:
Does the solar actually work? How long for the battery to charge to 80% under good circumstances. I feel every portable device shy of a 90's calculator with a solar panel is just ineffective. Maybe I'm wrong?
Yes, it does. I have seen the Anker in action which is why I have been looking for it to discount. IF you go search the item on amazon.com there are some real world reviews and tests with results posted by existing owners.

In respect of how long to charge, that depends on the current battery depletion, the size of the battery, and solar conditions. The panels are high enough quality they will even generate a small charge on a cloudy or overcast day. Independent testing does seem to validate the efficiency of the panels in about the 21% range on good solar days, which is very respectable performance.
Nov 25, 2006
49 posts
70 upvotes
cmchiu wrote: Btw I think this AUKEY one has the same solar panels as the Anker, at regular price C$65.99:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B019O1RP5I
It seems to be DOUBLE the weight, so for anyone looking to use it on multi-day hiking trips, this would be a deal breaker.
Mar 10, 2012
336 posts
343 upvotes
THORNHILL
I have this unit. Picked it up for $67.99 back in July.

It works pretty well, 2 amp output is easily achievable in bright sunlight, I've seen 1 amp on a cloudy day (not intermittent sunlight, just clouds).

Obviously only really useful if you don't have access to power. However, if you don't, this should be able to keep things charged, within reason.

One criticism I'll level at it (and all others of its ilk) - they provide a convenient pouch to put your phone/battery pack while charging - it's black, and ideally you've got this thing in direct sunlight. The first time I used it the battery pack was so hot it was uncomfortable to hold (it was a very hot day).

Thanks,

Brian
Jun 27, 2004
861 posts
41 upvotes
Kitchener
GangStarr wrote:
Jet2643 wrote:

cmchiu wrote: Btw I think this AUKEY one has the same solar panels as the Anker, at regular price C$65.99:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B019O1RP5I
I have the Aukey one referenced - my wife's Sony Z3V (verizon version) had "fast charging" pop on the screen, but only once, and I'm tempted to think that it's a fluke even though Aukey claims it can push 2.4 amps. From 50% or so, my Galaxy S6 usually reads about an hour to charge, in optimal conditions. In anything other than optimal conditions, I get a "slow charging" message on the phone, which roughly triples the charge time. (ie, 6 hours for full charge from just a few percent).

Overall I'm happy with it for camping - I usually leave it on top of my truck if we're at a camp site with enough sun, or in the dash (which almost always causes slower charging); was at Bon Echo Park last weekend for 4 days and left with 70% juice in my S6, with intermittent charges (nothing more than a few hours - though with very little usage - just a few calls, texts and maybe a half hour of e-mails).

UPDATE: because I was curious (and it's sunny!), I pulled out my S6 which was at 56%, and plugged it in for 1 hour (give or take less than a minute) and was charged to 95%. Roughly 40% charge in an hour - whether the entire battery charges evenly, I'm not sure, though. I would note that this is also with the phone on/screen off - it would certainly charge faster if it was completely shut down.
May 15, 2011
495 posts
332 upvotes
brianl999 wrote: I have this unit. Picked it up for $67.99 back in July.

Brian
Darn, I don't know how i missed that price as I have been following this unit every day. Was that a flash sale?
Feb 7, 2008
1 posts
Toronto
I've considered buying one but it's just not that useful. It would only be useful on a multi day hike but you'll still need to carry a battery pack. If you're going to carry extra weight it's better to invest that weight in a battery that can get you a few extra charges rather than a solar panel.