• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2020 5:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
1608 posts
412 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Anker Soundcore Life Q20 Bluetooth 5.0 Headphones

Not the lowest price of all time. But very close to it. A decent BT 5.0 headphone with good reviews.

Anker Soundcore Life Q20 Bluetooth Headphones, Hybrid Active Noise Canceling, 40H Playtime, Hi-Res Audio, Deep Bass, Memory Foam Ear Cups and Headband, Wireless Over Ear Headphones for Travel, Work

Black: $61.99
Silver: $68.99

Deal link: https://www.amazon.ca/Soundcore-Bluetoo ... B07NM3RSRQ

Rtings review: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/revie ... 0-wireless
24 replies
Jan 10, 2020
63 posts
34 upvotes
JonJubeTube wrote: Costco has the Life 2 for $100
https://www.costco.ca/anker-soundcore-l ... 71074.html

Can someone explain the differences (other than the case) and are they worth $40 more?
That what I found in Amazon QandA :

Question : What's the difference between this and the life 2?

Answer (from Anker) : Compared with Life 2, the Life Q20 better/greatly reduces ambient noises by adopting Hybrid Active Noise Canceling technology and adding 2 more (4 in total) built-in ANC microphones. Also, our engineers fine-tuned the sound and speaker to bring our customers a more enjoyable listening experience.
Aug 14, 2003
259 posts
31 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
JonJubeTube wrote: Costco has the Life 2 for $100
https://www.costco.ca/anker-soundcore-l ... 71074.html

Can someone explain the differences (other than the case) and are they worth $40 more?
I own the Life Q20 and they are fantastic. The noise isolation before even turning on the ANC is much better than my Plantronics BackBeat Pro 2 for example.

Here are some reviews of the 2 different models.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/revie ... 2-wireless

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/revie ... 0-wireless

According to the review of the Life Q20 it is an upgrade to the Life 2 so you'd be paying more for an older/lesser model

"The Anker Soundcore Life Q20 are an upgraded version of the very decent Anker SoundCore Life 2 Wireless, and pack a few moderate upgrades."
Aug 14, 2003
259 posts
31 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I also paid the regular price $79.99 when I bought them and it was worth it then so for $18 less it is even better.
Apr 1, 2016
79 posts
56 upvotes
I love the Q20s. Use them daily for work and pleasure. Great sound quality and battery life, works on video calls well, and I watch YouTube vids just fine with them.

I ordered a pair of taotronics of similar style at the same time and kept the Ankers as they were better. Often at this price.
Aug 4, 2014
93 posts
114 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I own the life Q20 and the sound quality and noise cancellation is excellent. However you do get some sharp feedback when there is a sudden sharp noise outside. For example if you're in a bus and it hits a bump, you get a sharp noise if the NC is on. I owned a pair of Taotronics and it wasn't an issue on that. The soundcore does have better soundquality and it's very comfortable.
Jan 7, 2007
175 posts
122 upvotes
These or the Taotronics Soundsurge 85?
Jan 25, 2013
158 posts
105 upvotes
Thornhill
Not sure that you can do Hi-Res Audio over BT. You'll need a cable.

Also, iPhone does not send Hi-Res audio even with cable, you'll need a DAC (e.g. Audioquest Dragonfly Red), and some additional software/cables for the iPhone...
Jul 13, 2006
288 posts
54 upvotes
Ottawa
erictho wrote: These or the Taotronics Soundsurge 85?
I'm interested in this as well. I recently bought the Taotronics TT-BH085 currently on sale for 59.99. Would the Q20s be a step up from these? The Taotronics are good but I find the mic pickup is pretty low and my ears get pretty warm after longer use.
Jan 7, 2007
175 posts
122 upvotes
Based purely on available reviews, it seems they are fairly equivalent. Maybe the ANC is a bit better on the Ankers but maybe the SQ and phone calls better on Taotronics. The Taotronics look a bit more modern but they are also slightly newer with USB-C vs micro USB. Probably splitting hairs at this price point.
Feb 26, 2020
75 posts
179 upvotes
TDot
In the same boat here.

Anker Q20 vs Taotronics sound surge 85.

Who's owned both and can compare directly?
Dec 1, 2005
115 posts
114 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I own the Anker Q20 and am very impressed with the noise cancelling. I would compare them to the Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC, which are $100+ more.
Feb 26, 2020
75 posts
179 upvotes
TDot
How is the microphone on the Q20? Would love to see a headset like this with a solid mic
Aug 14, 2003
259 posts
31 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Starboardbound wrote: How is the microphone on the Q20? Would love to see a headset like this with a solid mic
I use them on my iPhone when receiving calls.

During covid, I have also been using them on my MS-Teams and ZOOM meetings.

I am on the sending end, so I don't really know how it sounds other than I haven't had any complaints.
Nov 10, 2019
145 posts
244 upvotes
Starboardbound wrote: How is the microphone on the Q20? Would love to see a headset like this with a solid mic
I bought these for specifically that purpose (audio calls) since I am on call all day long. I read the Rtings review which convinced me to go for this since they have some of the best scores (equal to almost 3-4 times priced Jabra Evolve series headsets). Another good point is multipoint connection, so my headset remains connected to both my laptop and my phone at the same time. While on laptop, you will also notice two different sound profiles, stereo when you are watching something or music and handsfree for calls. Handsfree profile has a lower frequency band, optimised for calls I guess. (Dont watch movies or listen to music on it). Teams, WebEx and zoom automatically recognize it and connect you on handsfree profile
Carpe Diem!
Apr 1, 2016
79 posts
56 upvotes
Starboardbound wrote: In the same boat here.

Anker Q20 vs Taotronics sound surge 85.

Who's owned both and can compare directly?
(EDIT: Realized I compared the TaoTronics Soundsurge 46 not the 85, sorry. Kept the comparison below in case it's useful to others.)

I previously wrote up a comparison on another thread between the Q20 and the Taotronics Soundsurge46 which I bought at the same time. Hope it's useful to anyone on the fence:

(on mobile so excuse any formatting).

Sound:
The Taotronics ones were WAY too bass heavy in my opinion. The mids and highs were muffled. Even being a fan of bassy headphones, I found them far too heavy on that. Additionally, the Taotronics only sounded decent with the noise cancelling switch flipped on. When off, they really sounded like bargain bin headphones. The Soundcore Life has a much more balanced sound profile, and sounded fine both with noise cancelling on or off, however, I preferred the sound with it on. Anker has a bass boost option, but I felt it made it too bassy again, nice to have just in case you need it tho.

Comfort:
Taotronics were comfy for sure, but the Soundcore were just as comfy. Both have really nice ear cups. Soundcore are a bit softer padding, but I wore both for hours and felt they were both great. Anker has more oval shape, Taotronics are circular. One thing to note is the Anker ones are a bit bigger. I use them at their smallest setting, whereas the Taotronics and most other headphones I put it a couple clicks larger. Something to be careful of if you usually wear headphones on the smallest setting, the Anker will likely be too big.

Price:
At regular price, taotronics = $95, Anker = $75, both often have $10 clippable coupons. I was happy at that price but at $55 now, these are great value.

Tech:
Anker is supposed to have a few more advanced codecs, but I noticed no difference here.

Noise cancelling:
Didn't test extensively, but was happy with both, probably a draw.

Almost all budget Bluetooth headsets have a physical switch to turn ANC on or off. With this, you often turn your headphones off, but forget to flip the ANC switch which will drain the battery. With the Anker, it has a physical button, but ANC turns off when the headphones are turned off. Even though I thought it would be a non issue, in my 2 weeks of testing I accidentally left ANC on several times with the Taotronics.

Battery life on both are fantastic.

The reason I compared it to the Taotronics, is that most of the budget headphone reviews online favoured them as the best.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I couldn't find much about the Anker ones before buying so I'm happy to answer as I am quite happy with them. I have a pair of sennheiser 4.50 btnc ($125) that my wife likes, and I am just as happy with these tbh.