[OP]
May 31, 2019
12 posts
47 upvotes
Edmonton

[Amazon.ca] Apple magsafe Duo Charger $154.99

Duo Charger ($169.00 => $154.99):

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08MWR2NXZ/
Last edited by TomRFD on Oct 25th, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: price was missing from the title
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6380 posts
4108 upvotes
Ottawa
Terrible charger if you don’t have iPhone 12 or 13 , waste time for old iphone, returned it in a week.
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.
Nov 24, 2019
244 posts
631 upvotes
No charger brick, check. Doesn't charge Airpods, check. Lightning to USB instead of USB-C to USB-C, check.

A $155 dollars???! For a flimsy duo wireless charger?Face With Tears Of Joy
Mar 6, 2019
439 posts
631 upvotes
Toronto
Just an FYI this does not properly fit the iPhone 13 Pro (camera bump), nor does it support fast charging on the new Series 7 Apple Watch.

It will charge both, just two compromises I wouldn’t accept if you are using either of those devices with this expensive charger.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
3523 posts
983 upvotes
Toronto
sonyHdr12 wrote: Terrible charger if you don’t have iPhone 12 or 13 , waste time for old iphone, returned it in a week.
No offense but that's like buying a Electric car and calling it terrible because it didn't take gas.

With that said, this is terribly overpriced lol
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6380 posts
4108 upvotes
Ottawa
Sepharite wrote: No offense but that's like buying a Electric car and calling it terrible because it didn't take gas.

Not at all, this charger should charge my XS &11 pro as fast as dollarama one, but it’s not, it maybe only 1w wireless charging for old iPhones.
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16942 posts
9018 upvotes
Ottawa
Sepharite wrote: No offense but that's like buying a Electric car and calling it terrible because it didn't take gas.

Agree on both counts.

You buy this specifically when you have a Magsafe compatible phone.

Its overpriced for sure. Not including the 20W adapter is rubbing salt in the wounds that you spent $170 on a charger.

And personally, I hate the fact that the Magsafe chargers get really, really hot. Not good for battery longevity if you plan to keep your phone for a long time. But of course, Apple would prefer you upgrade your phone every 2 years anyway.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15341 posts
9899 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I’m still using an off brand Watch charger $13 Lightning Deal from over a year ago. Didn’t realize this combo is that expensive.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16942 posts
9018 upvotes
Ottawa
sonyHdr12 wrote: Not at all, this charger should charge my XS &11 pro as fast as dollarama one, but it’s not, it maybe only 1w wireless charging for old iPhones.
yeah that's pretty bad. I would expect it to charge at least 5W.
<insert sig>
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
2844 posts
671 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: I’m still using an off brand Watch charger $13 Lightning Deal from over a year ago. Didn’t realize this combo is that expensive.
Yeah i have an anker one that looks pretty much the same and cost maybe $20
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16942 posts
9018 upvotes
Ottawa
I thought the regular Magsafe charger was already expensive.
I had no idea these Duo chargers were so expensive. To get the full speed, you need a 27W or 30W charger brick too.

I spent extra to buy a specific Samsung wireless charger because I liked that they have built-in cooling fans to keep the charger cool. That charger cost $65 and I thought I was overspending on that one.
<insert sig>
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1661 posts
1000 upvotes
Koenv55972 wrote: No charger brick, check. Doesn't charge Airpods, check. Lightning to USB instead of USB-C to USB-C, check.

A $155 dollars???! For a flimsy duo wireless charger?Face With Tears Of Joy
It really is such a ridiculous charging solution that puts (imo, ugly) aesthetics over practical use. Pretty sure apple wireless is compatible with Qi chargers too. So you can get something that works just as well with 2 charging pads for around $30, maybe $50 if you need 20 watts.
But hey, no embossed apple logo and quirky portfolio design.
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12129 posts
14625 upvotes
Toronto
Koenv55972 wrote: Doesn't charge Airpods, check.
The MagSafe Duo Charger does wirelessly charge AirPods

AirPods Models
AirPods Pro
AirPods (3rd generation)
AirPods with Wireless Charging Case (2nd generation)
Wireless Charging Case for AirPods

"The MagSafe Duo Charger conveniently charges your compatible iPhone, Apple Watch, Wireless Charging Case for AirPods, and other Qi-certified devices. Just place your devices on the charger and a steady, efficient charge begins on contact. The charger folds together neatly so you can easily take it with you wherever you go."
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/M ... uo-charger
Destiny is all
May 25, 2021
7 posts
3 upvotes

Yup, I think this charger concepts nice for those who travel a lot with iPhone, watch and wireless charging case airpods, but definitely not at this price point. I want one of these, but only if it's $50 or less.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1780 posts
481 upvotes
Montreal
wiebecj wrote: Yeah i have an anker one that looks pretty much the same and cost maybe $20
sounds good
got a link to what you have?
I love Anker, one of the best support in business
Feb 13, 2020
146 posts
212 upvotes
OleSolskjaer wrote: Just an FYI this does not properly fit the iPhone 13 Pro (camera bump), nor does it support fast charging on the new Series 7 Apple Watch.

It will charge both, just two compromises I wouldn’t accept if you are using either of those devices with this expensive charger.
What? It works perfectly fine with the iPhone 13 pro. I have no idea how you are trying to lay it on the charging pad but mine works with or without a case on.
The bump is close but is by no ways pushing the phone off the magnets.

And it charges the airpod pro wirelesses no issues at all. I use the charger when traveling and not as a home dock. The lightning is kind of dumb but its apple. But its also nice to just unplug it and plug in the airpods and do a fast charge that way. I wouldn't pay full price for it but when uncle jeff gives you a gift you use it.
Mar 6, 2019
439 posts
631 upvotes
Toronto
yangstergangster wrote: What? It works perfectly fine with the iPhone 13 pro. I have no idea how you are trying to lay it on the charging pad but mine works with or without a case on.
The bump is close but is by no ways pushing the phone off the magnets.

And it charges the airpod pro wirelesses no issues at all. I use the charger when traveling and not as a home dock. The lightning is kind of dumb but its apple. But its also nice to just unplug it and plug in the airpods and do a fast charge that way. I wouldn't pay full price for it but when uncle jeff gives you a gift you use it.
Didn’t say it does not work, I said it does not properly fit. There is a raised gap as a result of the camera bump, still charges, and yes it’s nit picky, but not acceptable for the price.

I honestly like it, I just find the price atrocious even more so now given the fit issue and lack of Series 7 wireless charging.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2014
1736 posts
1490 upvotes
Wouldn't this device be obsolete for charging the new Apple Watch 7? Only the new charging pad that comes with it does 33% fast charging compared to AW6.
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12129 posts
14625 upvotes
Toronto
jmc111 wrote: Wouldn't this device be obsolete for charging the new Apple Watch 7? Only the new charging pad that comes with it does 33% fast charging compared to AW6.
This will not fast charge Apple Watch Series 7

from How to use MagSafe Duo Charger with your iPhone and Apple Watch
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211925

"MagSafe Duo Charger doesn't support fast charging with Apple Watch Series 7. To fast-charge your Apple Watch Series 7, use the Apple USB-C Magnetic Fast Charging Cable."
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2014
1736 posts
1490 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: This will not fast charge Apple Watch Series 7

from How to use MagSafe Duo Charger with your iPhone and Apple Watch
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211925

"MagSafe Duo Charger doesn't support fast charging with Apple Watch Series 7. To fast-charge your Apple Watch Series 7, use the Apple USB-C Magnetic Fast Charging Cable."
I figured that since Apple only released the AW7 on Oct 15. I am sure things will catch up in the future with new chargers coming into the market.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)