Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] ARCTIC MX-4 2019 Edition - Thermal Compound Paste $9.97

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2021 9:39 pm
Nov 22, 2011
948 posts
213 upvotes
Which one is the best method to spread the paste?
“Nothing harms me. But I know pain. I know pain. Sometimes I share it. With someone like you.” - Batman . . . . .
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
775 upvotes
FalconR wrote: Which one is the best method to spread the paste?
I often just use a business card from someone I know I'm never going to call back and then throw the card away.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1035 posts
483 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: I'm still using my thermal paste from 13 years ago.
It's probably cracked to oblivion. You'd probably see better thermals by changing the paste (if you care about that)

From Noctua's product page:
NT-H1's unique formula is highly stable over time, even after longer periods of usage. It can be stored at room temperature for at least 3 years and due to the compound’s exceptional curing, bleeding, dry-out and thermal cycling characteristics, it can be used on the CPU for 5 years or more.
Not a bad paste for 4g.
Enough for 20+ CPUs.... Or 3-3.5 threadrippers.
(I probably didn't use enough)
Images
  • 20200917_173409.jpg
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2462 posts
2013 upvotes
Montreal, QC
deltatux wrote: Not only that but Memory Express doesn't have much in terms of stores in Ontario/Quebec. If you're in the GTA either you're willing to drive to Hamilton or pay the $8.99 shipping. When compared to Amazon with free shipping, Memory Express is a raw deal.

Unfortunately, Canada Computers doesn't carry any Arctic Cooling MX-4 or Noctua NT-H1/2 pastes either.
Ya, no memory express here in QC.

But CC does carry Arctic Silver 5 ($9.99 for 3.5g or $19.99 for 12g) , or they also carry Arctic Ceramique $4.99 for 2.7g (which I've always like, since it is non-conductive also).

So they still carry some decent quality thermal pastes for a reasonable price.

I had a tube of MX2 for 10+ years, and it finally was unusable (I had dropped it at bottom of pile of tubes and forgotten).. Completely broke down and was strange consistency. First time in 25+ years that I've had a tube go so bad :)

Unless you are using this on hardcore servers, running 24/7 at 80%+ loads constantly, the average user won't notice a "huge" difference between most decent thermal pastes. Now if you are trying to overclock that CPU or GPU and squeeze every ounce of juice out of it, then that is a different story. There it is more than just thermal paste which will make the difference in these cases. Lapping the cpu/heatsink, proper cleaning/decontamination, and other factors are critical.

I usually just put a pea sized amount in center of CPU, place heatsink on top, slight twist side to side to spread it, sometime I'll pull it up to ensure proper coverage, then put back down , another small twist side to side, and secure. You don't need much. Make sure to secure your heatsink in crosspattern. On some of the larger CPUs (Xeon E5 CPUs or newer) I do use a little more however.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1511 posts
256 upvotes
Patrickpete wrote: Hey guys, I was a bit hesitant on posting this deal because this is actually 7 cent higher than the average on CCC; however, I realized due to the uncertain times the price hasn't reached this low in a while, so this is pretty decent price if you're in need of a excellent compound soon. Its 15.95 on newegg right now and a totally rip off price on staples and bestbuy. Furthermore, there is 4g in this. That is enough for multiple uses, unlike some other high end brand. Here's an image from CCC. As you can see, it's been hovering pretty high for a long time now; I don't see it going lower anytime soon due to our current predicament.
What is the meaning of 2019 edition? Is it different from non-2019 or just 2019 made stock?
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19327 posts
3376 upvotes
Toronto
I've literally never bought thermal paste before, and always just use the preapplied stuff on aftermarket coolers. Would I notice much difference between this and the tube they give you with Corsair coolers?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2757 posts
772 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote: I've literally never bought thermal paste before, and always just use the preapplied stuff on aftermarket coolers. Would I notice much difference between this and the tube they give you with Corsair coolers?
Negligible difference. Save your money.
Aug 19, 2004
882 posts
628 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote: I've literally never bought thermal paste before, and always just use the preapplied stuff on aftermarket coolers. Would I notice much difference between this and the tube they give you with Corsair coolers?
This is really for people that are upgrading / tinkering with the cpus.

IF your CPU is > 5 years without a thermal paste change, I would consider reapplying if you are overclocking or noticing a lot of cpu fan noise; but if you already have the stock Thermal Interface Material (TIM) on it; don't bother if it's relatively new.

ALSO, even if it's > 5 years; if you don't have fan noise / heat problems; you can problaby leave it. The extra heat (at stock) won't affect your component longevity in my opinion and not everyone is comfortable taking their cpu heatsink off (although it really is easy 2/10 difficulty level stuff).

For example, I wouldn't recommend my non-techie father change the thermal paste on his old desktop... Totally unnecessary.
Oct 17, 2009
374 posts
329 upvotes
For anyone that doesn't know about GD900 30grams is $5.50 and many reviews rank it very similar in performance to this. If you want to actually see a few degrees cooler you go with thermal grizzly and pay 100x more. Otherwise:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNOk6OD
Aug 19, 2004
882 posts
628 upvotes
Toronto
Patrickpete wrote: Holy necromancer, the last post was step 22. Better question, how did you manage to find this thread and revive it?Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes

I'm not too sure on the 2019, but I think it's just a rebrand and a new batch. Thermals seem to be the same as older ones.
Didnt' even notice the start/op date. I guess the thread was never expired
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14560 posts
5750 upvotes
Ottawa
mistytalon wrote: Watch The Verge builds a PC to learn the exact right amount to put on your IHS
Don’t forget the thermal paste spreader tool
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1511 posts
256 upvotes
Patrickpete wrote: Holy necromancer, the last post was sept 22. Better question, how did you manage to find this thread and revive it?Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes

I'm not too sure on the 2019, but I think it's just a rebrand and a new batch. Thermals seem to be the same as older ones.
lol, I tried to to find out if my questions were already answered in earlier threads, and this one in relatively recent :-)
Anyways, given we are now in 2021, I am concerned if 2019 edition is now older batch compared to non-2019 edition, or reverse as it not explained on amazon.
It seems that thermal paste does not expire right away, yet I'd like to buy the freshest stock.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
6507 posts
2405 upvotes
GTA
Just my opinion as we go through tubes and tubes of these in a year.

- We always used Arctic silver 5, never switched to mx4.
- It comes out easy and over the years we found spreading it with a tool is not as good (always used to spread into a thin layer) as putting strategically drops on the package and the tension of the contacted heatsink spreads it nicely to fill gaps.
- you don't have to use a lot but drops here and there based on the cpu.

- I tossed in NT-H1 into the mix and after few hundred applications, i prefer it as its not as liquid and it does not separate as easily as the arctic silver 5.

- You want to make sure not to over apply as it could leak onto the motherboard, and in case of arctic silver 5 it is conductive.

- In both arctic silver and noctua, the impact of thermal paste takes some times as the heat and tension needs to be there for x amount of time. Usually you would see some result but over the course of running time the results get better.

Both are great, have not used mx4 but its around the same in specs so should be same, i found the nt-h1 to be better by about 1-3deg.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2011
1124 posts
433 upvotes
Brandon
Patrickpete wrote: You must be balling to pay 8.99 shipping on a 9.99 item to support the economy . I saw ME but then I saw shipping and I was just like no..... Unless there is something in regard to shipping that I don't know aboutConfused Face
mistytalon wrote: @Bubblegum86 forgets that not everyone lives in a major city and some of us have to get our stuff shipped.
Plus in Manitoba you can't go into store and buy since it's a non essential, and with lockdown only can pickup. Plus for some live away from big centres so shipping is needed..
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
9063 posts
3929 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote: I'm still using my thermal paste from 13 years ago.
definitely expired and doesn't work as well. should consider getting a fresh tube
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13682 posts
8691 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
already did, got meself some mx-2.
ManCaveGamer wrote: definitely expired and doesn't work as well. should consider getting a fresh tube

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14560 posts
5750 upvotes
Ottawa
The preapplied stuff is fine. It's actually preferable because you are guaranteed it will be the right amount and will be spread evenly. I had preapplied stuff and then I redid it later with brand name Noctua paste, and the results were about the same. People tend to overthink this stuff.

I will say that you should reapply new paste if it's more than 5 years. The stuff does dry out and becomes less effective. I had a i5-2600k and I saw improvement when I reapplied the paste after 6 years.

For paste, I've always used the Noctua stuff. Works for me

Noctua has their official online store. https://www.amazon.ca/stores/Noctua/pag ... f_=ast_bln if you don't have a store nearby that sells their harder to find stuff
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1511 posts
256 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: The preapplied stuff is fine. It's actually preferable because you are guaranteed it will be the right amount and will be spread evenly. I had preapplied stuff and then I redid it later with brand name Noctua paste, and the results were about the same. People tend to overthink this stuff.

I will say that you should reapply new paste if it's more than 5 years. The stuff does dry out and becomes less effective. I had a i5-2600k and I saw improvement when I reapplied the paste after 6 years.

For paste, I've always used the Noctua stuff. Works for me

Noctua has their official online store. https://www.amazon.ca/stores/Noctua/pag ... f_=ast_bln if you don't have a store nearby that sells their harder to find stuff
Noctua was my first choice as well, however, there are issues with stock...unless you are willing to pay more, like way more, to 3rd party sellers.
Jan 26, 2011
262 posts
742 upvotes
Scarborough
I still have an Arctic Silver 5 unopened, is it any good?