Mar 9, 2007
13591 posts
8549 upvotes
Think of the Childre…

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Nov 22, 2011
936 posts
207 upvotes
Which one is the best method to spread the paste?
“Nothing harms me. But I know pain. I know pain. Sometimes I share it. With someone like you.” - Batman . . . . .
[OP]
Dec 20, 2019
333 posts
805 upvotes
Bikini Bottom
FalconR wrote: Which one is the best method to spread the paste?
People have different methods that they prefer; I like using a thin credit card to spread it evenly. My idle temps are like 23-28 in a Antec 900 case. I have also have an after market corsair cooler, though.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
775 upvotes
FalconR wrote: Which one is the best method to spread the paste?
I often just use a business card from someone I know I'm never going to call back and then throw the card away.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
Nov 1, 2017
914 posts
353 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: I'm still using my thermal paste from 13 years ago.
It's probably cracked to oblivion. You'd probably see better thermals by changing the paste (if you care about that)

From Noctua's product page:
NT-H1's unique formula is highly stable over time, even after longer periods of usage. It can be stored at room temperature for at least 3 years and due to the compound’s exceptional curing, bleeding, dry-out and thermal cycling characteristics, it can be used on the CPU for 5 years or more.
Not a bad paste for 4g.
Enough for 20+ CPUs.... Or 3-3.5 threadrippers.
(I probably didn't use enough)
Images
  • 20200917_173409.jpg
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2278 posts
1778 upvotes
Montreal, QC
deltatux wrote: Not only that but Memory Express doesn't have much in terms of stores in Ontario/Quebec. If you're in the GTA either you're willing to drive to Hamilton or pay the $8.99 shipping. When compared to Amazon with free shipping, Memory Express is a raw deal.

Unfortunately, Canada Computers doesn't carry any Arctic Cooling MX-4 or Noctua NT-H1/2 pastes either.
Ya, no memory express here in QC.

But CC does carry Arctic Silver 5 ($9.99 for 3.5g or $19.99 for 12g) , or they also carry Arctic Ceramique $4.99 for 2.7g (which I've always like, since it is non-conductive also).

So they still carry some decent quality thermal pastes for a reasonable price.

I had a tube of MX2 for 10+ years, and it finally was unusable (I had dropped it at bottom of pile of tubes and forgotten).. Completely broke down and was strange consistency. First time in 25+ years that I've had a tube go so bad :)

Unless you are using this on hardcore servers, running 24/7 at 80%+ loads constantly, the average user won't notice a "huge" difference between most decent thermal pastes. Now if you are trying to overclock that CPU or GPU and squeeze every ounce of juice out of it, then that is a different story. There it is more than just thermal paste which will make the difference in these cases. Lapping the cpu/heatsink, proper cleaning/decontamination, and other factors are critical.

I usually just put a pea sized amount in center of CPU, place heatsink on top, slight twist side to side to spread it, sometime I'll pull it up to ensure proper coverage, then put back down , another small twist side to side, and secure. You don't need much. Make sure to secure your heatsink in crosspattern. On some of the larger CPUs (Xeon E5 CPUs or newer) I do use a little more however.